Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Technical Analysis

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Technical analyst Tim Ord was a regular guest of mine on my old TV show. Below is what he wrote shortly after the close today regarding his latest opinion change for the S&P 500 ETF (SPX).

For monitoring purposes: Long SPX on 1/28/20 at 3276.24.

All the Best,
Tim Ord
Ord Oracle - Home

The Tuesday quote above was in regard to Ord's short term outlook for the SPX. Below is what he wrote today after the market close regarding his long term outlook for the SPX.

For monitoring purposes: Long Term Trend SPX monitor purposes; Long SPX on 1/30/20 3283.66.
For longer term time frame that could last several months.

From a technical perspective, did the jump up from earnings leave a gap from about $580 to $620? I'm trying to educate myself a little more on technicals in an effort to help time new entries as I continue to add. I know there is a belief in the TA community that "gaps get filled", correct? Appreciate the help.

From a technical perspective, did the jump up from earnings leave a gap from about $580 to $620? I'm trying to educate myself a little more on technicals in an effort to help time new entries as I continue to add. I know there is a belief in the TA community that "gaps get filled", correct? Appreciate the help.
Netflix never filled its gap in the low 200’s a couple years ago

• Informative
Reactions: ev-enthusiast
Technicals can be useless on big news. I believe right now information is leading the upward pressure. The option market is leading the push down helped by macro. It’s odd to me there was a 10% gain yesterday and no one got a margin call to cover? The end of the day will be interesting.

• Informative
Netflix never filled its gap in the low 200’s a couple years ago

Correct. It wasn’t an exhaustion gap. Big difference.

TSLA doesn’t have to fill this gap because it’s finding new footing to be more appropriately valued. I think we’re heading toward a high, tight flag where we might see a correction of 10% or so after a period of consolidation and then off to the races again. No, I’m not trying to time it - I’m not that smart.

Technicals can be useless on big news. I believe right now information is leading the upward pressure. The option market is leading the push down helped by macro. It’s odd to me there was a 10% gain yesterday and no one got a margin call to cover? The end of the day will be interesting.
Most of the hedge funds short the stock will never get a margin call. They have billions in AUM. Mostly retail shorts are getting margin called. Some hedge funds do blow up from selling naked calls though

Most of the hedge funds short the stock will never get a margin call. They have billions in AUM. Mostly retail shorts are getting margin called. Some hedge funds do blow up from selling naked calls though
I completely agree with this but I thinking those multi-billion dollar hedge fund are having an...... interesting day (had). They are hedging with long positions that help balance the fund against their short. Right now they are being pressured from both ends. No it won't kill them but I like the pressure being on max today.

Now they have to cover those naked shorts they threw at the wall to try and keep things below 650..... and failed! ROTFLMAO

This is a short squeeze. There is a price rise catalyst and based on yesterday’s action it appears very low elasticity on share price to new demand.

Price gain (over $800 in prematket) is certain to make shorts (both old and new entrants like those that got in at @$720) reconsider even though most of the big players will not be forced to through margin call. When the short covering demand subsides that should move into overbought territory and let share prices fall back a bit to consolidate. The key question is after how long - and I haven’t the faintest idea.

Especially if one is using leverage this setup looks like it might benefit from thinking about an exit strategy.

• Informative
Long legged doji on huge volume with gap below.
Never seen level of overextension after a paraboic run.
Relatively short interest.

This looks like a textbook top in the making to me.

Attachments

• TSLA Daily.jpg
    TSLA Daily.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: TheMrX
Upper Bollinger band is now $773.13. Meanwhile, Ford had terrible earnings and gave an even worse 2020 outlook.

“In an after-hours call with financial analysts, Chief Executive Jim Hackett was more blunt about the challenge of balancing Ford's protracted turnaround efforts with its continuing work on future technology, including electric and self-driving cars.

"I don't think this company can keep straddling the old and new worlds forever ... This company has to change," Hackett said.

Ford said it expects 2020 operating earnings to be in the range of 94 cents to $1.20 a share. Analysts were expecting $1.26 a share.”