Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turning car on/off too quickly caused this issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New owner of 70D for about 45 days. One thing that has concerned me was that when I open a rear door, say to buckle my son in his car seat, the car “turns on”, meaning the displays come on, the climate system comes on and you hear all the usual clicks and clunks, etc. When I close his door, all of this immediately shuts off, which I found odd and didn’t seem like a good thing for the electronics because as soon as I walk around to the driver’s side door, everything has to start up again. So it’s going from off to back on within probably 10 seconds after already coming on once. I can’t seem to find a setting to prevent this from happening. It’s also a little annoying when you open the door for a passenger and then walk around to the driver’s side. They have everything on, then it all shuts off, etc.

Up until now, it just concerned me and everything has worked normally, until last night. I had buckled my son in, then my wife open and closed her door. Right as the system was shutting off, I opened my door and instead of everything coming on normally, the driver’s instrument panel display didn’t come on. I pressed on the brake, nothing. Tried holding down the buttons to reboot, nothing. The main display did come on normally. Got out of the car and back in. No display, but pressing the brake seemed to turn the car on and I could put it in gear and back the car out. I didn’t want to drive it like this, so I tried the reboot again and this time it did reboot, but with the “halo” effect as seen here:

IP reboot and "halo"

We drove to our destination and everything worked normally. Upon returning to the car an hour later, it started up normally and it worked fine again this morning. I was careful to leave a door open the entire time so the system wouldn’t shut off.

I’m going to report this to service, but was curious if anyone knows of a setting to keep the car “on” for a certain period of time so you can open and close passenger doors before you open the driver’s door? Anyone had this happen to them?

I haven't seen this problem and I have all the energy savings set to the "saving" position. One thing that should work is to precondition the car with the App. Then the climate control won't shut off, although the display will. If there is a passenger then they can touch the 17" display just after it shuts off and it will turn on again. You can also open the driver's door first and not quite shut it.

I get that, but that shouldn't be necessary. The issue is not a passenger remaining in the car. The scenario is that I open the rear passenger door to strap my son in his car seat, car comes on, a/c, etc and when I shut his door, everything powers off. I walk around to the driver's side door and within seconds of the car shutting down completely, it's being asked to power on again. This can't be good for the car, and not how any other car I have ever been in operates with regards to the electronics. Once on, they stay on usually for a timeout period or until you lock the car with the fob. It just seems to me that the electronics would be better served by not shutting off and back on again in a 5-10 second period. It would be like while your computer is in the process of doing a proper shutdown, you would unplug the power and kill it..then immediately turn it back on to boot the OS. I know this isn't apples to apples, but I cringe every time I operate the car like that knowing what's going on, etc.

It's set to Off. I have never enabled that feature. Is there a way to make the car stay on in between door openings from one side of the car to the other?
Not that I know of. I have the Energy Savings, set to On and haven't had this problem when opening/closing doors.

I just tested my car and it behaves as you describe. Open the front door, displays on, close the front door, displays off, open the back door, displays on, close the back door, displays off, open the front door, displays on.

I suspect that your wife opening the door happened just as you were closing and it was confused about open or close and crashed. Software...

Jerry33's work around to leave the driver's door ajar will probably work until Tesla solves that bug. In any case, I'd report it to them so they at least put it on the list.

Reactions: jerry33
A lot of things in the MS don't work quite the way I think they should. The question is whether they work the way Tesla thinks they should. Irrespective of the on/off behavior decision, I'm sure they don't think it should crash so you should be sure and report it.

There is no setting I'm aware of that will Change the on/off behavior described in the first paragraph of the first post. The behavior is equally annoying to me, such that I try to o-en the doors Ina sequence to avoid it, when possible (it isn't always possible).

The halo likely was due to confused state of opening/closing at same exact time. Never experienced it myself. Probably nothing to worry about and self correcting at next start up, but annoying I'm sure.

Other than the crash issue described, I don't think there is any fundamental problem with the way it works now. The systems aren't being shut down completely when you close the door and rebooted when you open the door. They are probably going into a fast standby state for awhile, which is why the displays power back up immediately when you re-open the door. If they were being shut down, you would instead have to wait many seconds for a full reboot. It's akin to repeatedly opening/closing your cell phone throughout the day.

However, one feature I would like to see is a way to prevent the systems from powering up at all when opening the doors. When I took my car camping for the first time a few weeks back, I had set all the energy savings features on to avoid vampire drain as much as possible. Throughout the weekend, there were many times when someone had to go to the car to get something, which would immediately wake up and start booting the main screens as soon as the door opened, just to have them go immediately back to sleep when the door was closed a few seconds later.

You guys are lucky! You can open your back door without opening your front door first! I cannot! I've asked the service center but they say its working properly (shocking I know). I have the door handles set not to present automatically but I think I've tried it the other way too and it does the same thing. The only way I can get a rear door handle to present is to press on a front door handle first.

You guys are lucky! You can open your back door without opening your front door first! I cannot! I've asked the service center but they say its working properly (shocking I know). I have the door handles set not to present automatically but I think I've tried it the other way too and it does the same thing. The only way I can get a rear door handle to present is to press on a front door handle first.

Yeah, not cool. That would drive me insane. I'm set to auto present and never had an issue with all 4 always coming out. Either walking up to the car or using the FOB. Are you on the most current software? I do have the new handles, but can't believe that would make a difference as this seems software related.

Yeah, not cool. That would drive me insane. I'm set to auto present and never had an issue with all 4 always coming out. Either walking up to the car or using the FOB. Are you on the most current software? I do have the new handles, but can't believe that would make a difference as this seems software related.

I got a software update a couple weeks ago, not sure if its the absolute latest.

Not sure if I'm communicating well though. If I walk up to the car with the fob in my pocket, I cannot open the back door. I have to push on the door handle of the driver's door, then all four handles present. If you disable auto-present, do you know if you can open the back door first?

Tesla told me this is normal. I don't believe it, but I gave up arguing with them.

I have always used auto-present, but I did try that one time and I'm pretty sure I pushed on the back door handle and it worked, but now you have me curious and will have to try again. I do know you have to push on a certain part of the handle for it to work.

@pdxrunr you may be experiencing the Driver Profile settings anticipating you getting in the car and setting all functions to the stored settings. For my Model S, my solution was to create a Driver Profile named 'Parked'. I turned the Climate Off, Radio Off, Auto Present Off and set the seat back and steering wheel up. So, when I get in the car, I select my personal profile. When I arrive home, I select Parked. It is only when I leave the car in my profile that the radio turns on, climate turns on, etc. when I open the door. Not sure if this will help you, but it may.

• Informative
Reactions: Electricfan
I got a software update a couple weeks ago, not sure if its the absolute latest.

Not sure if I'm communicating well though. If I walk up to the car with the fob in my pocket, I cannot open the back door. I have to push on the door handle of the driver's door, then all four handles present. If you disable auto-present, do you know if you can open the back door first?

Tesla told me this is normal. I don't believe it, but I gave up arguing with them.

Yep, mine works the same. If I disable auto present, I have to press on one of the front doors first. I have always used the auto present, so I never noticed this. Strange they would program it this way.

@pdxrunr you may be experiencing the Driver Profile settings anticipating you getting in the car and setting all functions to the stored settings. For my Model S, my solution was to create a Driver Profile named 'Parked'. I turned the Climate Off, Radio Off, Auto Present Off and set the seat back and steering wheel up. So, when I get in the car, I select my personal profile. When I arrive home, I select Parked. It is only when I leave the car in my profile that the radio turns on, climate turns on, etc. when I open the door. Not sure if this will help you, but it may.

Thanks, yeah, I saw someone mention this. Good idea, but still compromises. I wish the FOBs were coded to the profiles like most cars and that the car would stay "on" until the doors locked. That would solve the issue of multiple door opening in a short period of time.

Yep, mine works the same. If I disable auto present, I have to press on one of the front doors first. I have always used the auto present, so I never noticed this. Strange they would program it this way.
Geesh, now my Tesla has something wrong with it again.....mumbling to myself....not a day goes by....:confused:.

Sigh.

But, I love this car!;) Because it goes whoosh!

Back to the point OP pointed out - I find it annoying too, as I always open the back door to drop my laptop bag, close it, and then open the front door. So this thing goes through this on - off - on cycle which is unnecessary

I can see where the software might get confused with things turning on and off so quickly, but another issue is air conditioners don't like to be turned on, then off, than on again in quick succession. It's bad for the compressor.