Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turning car on/off too quickly caused this issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back to the point OP pointed out - I find it annoying too, as I always open the back door to drop my laptop bag, close it, and then open the front door. So this thing goes through this on - off - on cycle which is unnecessary
Same here, except with a drink cooler (no way I'm going to pay vending machine prices!). Seems like there should be a short delay before turning off - five to ten seconds would be ample, I'd think.

Guys, it's not actually "turning off". The displays go dark, but the system stays awake. It doesn't hurt anything to have this happen even though it's counter intuitive. The A/C is not impacted either, the compressor is a digitally controlled 3-phase brushless design, and it is fine cycling. In fact, in most cases it's usually doing this by itself because it's a large unit sized to cool the battery and cabin, so when lightly loaded it cycles on/off often. You can hear this if you listen.

• Informative
Reactions: gavine
I got a software update a couple weeks ago, not sure if its the absolute latest.

Not sure if I'm communicating well though. If I walk up to the car with the fob in my pocket, I cannot open the back door. I have to push on the door handle of the driver's door, then all four handles present. If you disable auto-present, do you know if you can open the back door first?

Tesla told me this is normal. I don't believe it, but I gave up arguing with them.
One thing I read is that there is, or was, a dead zone near the rear of the car where the key fob is either not detected or not detected reliably. (I think this is in Nick Howe's book.) So the suggestion was to either approach the car from the front where the reception is good, or to walk just a bit further towards the front if the doors do not respond when you approach from the rear. I find that I only need to lean a bit forward from the rear door and the handles open.
Another factor in reception is where you carry your fob. Various things can interfere with signal strength and reception, most notably the nearness of a cellphone. So I always carry my cellphone on the opposite side from my key fob if I can.

I regularly see the behavior the OP described, rear door opening then closing causes the center console to turn on then off, followed by driver door opening causing everything to seemingly cycle again.I assumed this was by design - slightly odd design IMO. A 30 second timeout might be more appropriate.
I have also experienced the "everything went off and did not come on upon opening the driver door" but this only happened once.
I have never experienced the "must open front before the rear door can be opened". I have door handles set to auto-present, and I do periodically experience them not auto-presenting when approaching from the rear, but a press on the rear-door handle does present all the handles and the rear-door opens normally.

New owner of 70D for about 45 days. One thing that has concerned me was that when I open a rear door, say to buckle my son in his car seat, the car “turns on”, meaning the displays come on, the climate system comes on and you hear all the usual clicks and clunks, etc. When I close his door, all of this immediately shuts off, which I found odd and didn’t seem like a good thing for the electronics because as soon as I walk around to the driver’s side door, everything has to start up again. So it’s going from off to back on within probably 10 seconds after already coming on once. I can’t seem to find a setting to prevent this from happening. It’s also a little annoying when you open the door for a passenger and then walk around to the driver’s side. They have everything on, then it all shuts off, etc.

Up until now, it just concerned me and everything has worked normally, until last night. I had buckled my son in, then my wife open and closed her door. Right as the system was shutting off, I opened my door and instead of everything coming on normally, the driver’s instrument panel display didn’t come on. I pressed on the brake, nothing. Tried holding down the buttons to reboot, nothing. The main display did come on normally. Got out of the car and back in. No display, but pressing the brake seemed to turn the car on and I could put it in gear and back the car out. I didn’t want to drive it like this, so I tried the reboot again and this time it did reboot, but with the “halo” effect as seen here:

IP reboot and "halo"

We drove to our destination and everything worked normally. Upon returning to the car an hour later, it started up normally and it worked fine again this morning. I was careful to leave a door open the entire time so the system wouldn’t shut off.

I’m going to report this to service, but was curious if anyone knows of a setting to keep the car “on” for a certain period of time so you can open and close passenger doors before you open the driver’s door? Anyone had this happen to them?

I don't have any experience here...but just thinking out loud. What would happen if you opened the driver side door first, then the passenger door to strap your son in? Would all the systems stay "on"? So you'd close his door, then walk up to the driver side and get in. Would the car go into that quasi-sleep mode at all?

I don't have any experience here...but just thinking out loud. What would happen if you opened the driver side door first, then the passenger door to strap your son in? Would all the systems stay "on"? So you'd close his door, then walk up to the driver side and get in. Would the car go into that quasi-sleep mode at all?

Yes, it would stay on, but that's besides the point as it's a hassle to walk all the way over to the driver's side door to do that. The child seat is rear passenger, so opposite side of the car. I haven't had the screen do that again when turning the car on/off quickly, so hopefully it was just a one time strange thing.