Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turning the LR into the P down the road?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was one of those first day reservation holders that always concerned about not knowing how much the performance version of the 3 would cost or when it would be available. I knew I'd love the extra performance, but without knowing the price/timeline, I opted for the LR when the opportunity to get the car in April came. When it was initially announced that the P would be $78k without EAP, I thought I had made the right decision b/c it wouldn't have been worth that much to me personally. But now seeing that I could have skipped EAP and only spent $1k less for AWD or $10k more for AWD and P bums me out a little.

Anyway, it brings me to my ultimate question, is there going to be a way for folks like me that want the crazy acceleration to add AWD (or even better, just a performance RWD motor upgrade since I live in California and don't need AWD) a couple of years from now? While I ordered EAP, I only really did so because I wanted to be able to upgrade to FSD when it's available without being dinged for $10k or more to do so. I also thought I would use EAP more than I do. But for my medium traffic, 15 mile round trip commute to work, EAP just doesn't do much for me. I know it's not currently possible (and probably never will be), but I would trade EAP straight up for AWD simply for the extra acceleration. I feel like I could enjoy the extra power every day whereas EAP is simply not some that I benefit from often. My initial thought was that I would simply trade my LR in a couple of years from now if this scenario played out how it has, but I'd much prefer to keep my current car if I can and simply swap out the motor so I don't have to re-do the stereo upgrades, tint, ceramic coating, and chrome delete that I've already paid for. I also like the assurance of knowing that the car has been mine for the whole life of it.

Back to the point, might adding a performance motor/inverter be possible in a year or two? I know that the group of people who took delivery early enough to not know the price/availability of the AWD and P upgrades is not huge, but I'm still hoping this will be an option down line. If not, I guess I will just pray for an uncork and save my money, as I love my car already. I'm just hoping to have an opportunity to truly have it all!

I was one of those first day reservation holders that always concerned about not knowing how much the performance version of the 3 would cost or when it would be available. I knew I'd love the extra performance, but without knowing the price/timeline, I opted for the LR when the opportunity to get the car in April came. When it was initially announced that the P would be $78k without EAP, I thought I had made the right decision b/c it wouldn't have been worth that much to me personally. But now seeing that I could have skipped EAP and only spent $1k less for AWD or $10k more for AWD and P bums me out a little.

Anyway, it brings me to my ultimate question, is there going to be a way for folks like me that want the crazy acceleration to add AWD (or even better, just a performance RWD motor upgrade since I live in California and don't need AWD) a couple of years from now? While I ordered EAP, I only really did so because I wanted to be able to upgrade to FSD when it's available without being dinged for $10k or more to do so. I also thought I would use EAP more than I do. But for my medium traffic, 15 mile round trip commute to work, EAP just doesn't do much for me. I know it's not currently possible (and probably never will be), but I would trade EAP straight up for AWD simply for the extra acceleration. I feel like I could enjoy the extra power every day whereas EAP is simply not some that I benefit from often. My initial thought was that I would simply trade my LR in a couple of years from now if this scenario played out how it has, but I'd much prefer to keep my current car if I can and simply swap out the motor so I don't have to re-do the stereo upgrades, tint, ceramic coating, and chrome delete that I've already paid for. I also like the assurance of knowing that the car has been mine for the whole life of it.

Back to the point, might adding a performance motor/inverter be possible in a year or two? I know that the group of people who took delivery early enough to not know the price/availability of the AWD and P upgrades is not huge, but I'm still hoping this will be an option down line. If not, I guess I will just pray for an uncork and save my money, as I love my car already. I'm just hoping to have an opportunity to truly have it all!

In absolute and unequivocal terms, the answer is going to be no.

You will need a new car. I do not mean to be harsh at all in my reply. Just setting expectations so you can arrange your car positioning as needed.

Very Unlikely. Who knows with Tesla... they might offer it only because the chassis already has the mounting locations for it, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

You do it yourself with spare parts and can hack the software. Some people have done similar things with a model S in the past on their own, but it wouldn't be warrantied.

Very Unlikely. Who knows with Tesla... they might offer it only because the chassis already has the mounting locations for it, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

You do it yourself with spare parts and can hack the software. Some people have done similar things with a model S in the past on their own, but it wouldn't be warrantied.

Selling the first car and rebuying a new one will carry the lowest opportunity cost in all outcomes.

Oh well, I guess I have to suck it up and deal with my "slow" LR. I love my car and Tesla as a company, but I believe that for their own benefit (and ours of course) they should have provided more info about future versions. Even if they were a little vague until they had specifics, I think they would have looked better and probably made more money by reporting what they did know. I know my situation is somewhat unique, but they would have made another $10k off of me (and I am usually very frugal) if they would have just given some rough estimates. And they could still coax that money out of me if they would offer an upgrade (on a high margin item) in the future. I know they make even more if I get antsy and buy a P3D, but I can't/won't do that. And how many people really will?

yeaaa, good luck with that. I watched a teardown of the M3 and adding dual motor is more than just dropping a new one in the hole. It appears they had to re-work the whole suspension to support the 2nd motor not to mention that Elon probably wont allow it. Lookup a Youtube channel called Rich Rebuilds and checkout the drama he had rebuilding a MS (thats been sitting at the bottom of a lake for 10days)

Oh well, I guess I have to suck it up and deal with my "slow" LR. I love my car and Tesla as a company, but I believe that for their own benefit (and ours of course) they should have provided more info about future versions. Even if they were a little vague until they had specifics, I think they would have looked better and probably made more money by reporting what they did know. I know my situation is somewhat unique, but they would have made another $10k off of me (and I am usually very frugal) if they would have just given some rough estimates. And they could still coax that money out of me if they would offer an upgrade (on a high margin item) in the future. I know they make even more if I get antsy and buy a P3D, but I can't/won't do that. And how many people really will?

The LR is not slow, and the best car you can get for the same dollar. You are also eligible for the full tax credit since you took delivery and is still a matter of uncertainty for everyone else.

Tesla or any other company cannot be too forthcoming on their plans lest they Osborne themselves to bankruptcy.
Osborne effect - Wikipedia

While those who are very well read on Tesla might be able to time 'some things' the easiest way to not have buyers remorse is to approach Tesla ownership with the following mindset:

* Your neighbors Tesla will ALWAYS be better than yours.
* Your neighbors, neighbors, Tesla will ALWAYS be better than theirs.
* Buy a Tesla that meets YOUR needs today and the foreseeable future.
* A Tesla, is better than no Tesla.
* Any 'best deal' is temporary. I got the 'cheapest Model X. 60D, Non-PUP'. Not so cheap anymore when every premium feature eventually got standardized into it with minimum price increase.

Reactions: jtpassat
The LR is not slow, and the best car you can get for the same dollar. You are also eligible for the full tax credit since you took delivery and is still a matter of uncertainty for everyone else.

Tesla or any other company cannot be too forthcoming on their plans lest they Osborne themselves to bankruptcy.
Osborne effect - Wikipedia

While those who are very well read on Tesla might be able to time 'some things' the easiest way to not have buyers remorse is to approach Tesla ownership with the following mindset:

* Your neighbors Tesla will ALWAYS be better than yours.
* Your neighbors, neighbors, Tesla will ALWAYS be better than theirs.
* Buy a Tesla that meets YOUR needs today and the foreseeable future.
* A Tesla, is better than no Tesla.
* Any 'best deal' is temporary. I got the 'cheapest Model X. 60D, Non-PUP'. Not so cheap anymore when every premium feature eventually got standardized into it with minimum price increase.

I guess I understand why they thought they might Osborne themselves. But what is negative about making a high profit margin from upgrading existing vehicles? I'm not even a "car guy", but Tesla has the tech to make me go fast enough for cheap enough for even people like me to see the value.

I'm not worried about my neighbor's car being slightly faster/better, I just want to go fast myself. And I know the LR is a fast car, but the P is fast enough to where I wouldn't be inclined to spend even more in a few years. How do I know that I won't just want more and more? From a physics standpoint, I don't care to go faster 0-60 than 3.5. IMO, after that any more power isn't more fun, it's just scary/vomit inducing/ego stroking. So my question remains, why not make more money off of me and make me happy at the same time?

Oh well, I guess I have to suck it up and deal with my "slow" LR. I love my car and Tesla as a company, but I believe that for their own benefit (and ours of course) they should have provided more info about future versions. Even if they were a little vague until they had specifics, I think they would have looked better and probably made more money by reporting what they did know. I know my situation is somewhat unique, but they would have made another $10k off of me (and I am usually very frugal) if they would have just given some rough estimates.

It seems like Tesla/Elon where very upfront about this. They said that the AWD/P would become available after they had ramped to 5k Model 3s a week, and they expected that to be around July. It seems to me they nailed that estimate. But maybe that release came right about the time you got your Model 3, which may be the soonest they had reliable information to shre.

...they will when u trade ur car in :p...this has been discussed every time Tesla adds a feature that someone just missed ...bottom line is you have to pay to get latest and greatest ...even if u missed by few weeks / months ...

Well, in my case, that's not going to work. And I think others do and will feel the same way. But I guess not enough for them to care. Oh well, they are actually saving me money I shouldn't be spending anyway (and keeping my wife from killing me for already spending too much on a depreciating asset).

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
...they will when u trade ur car in :p...this has been discussed every time Tesla adds a feature that someone just missed ...bottom line is you have to pay to get latest and greatest ...even if u missed by few weeks / months ...

best advice i can give for a new potential buyer, if youre happy with what you currently configured than you shouldnt feel stressed that a new feature rolls out soon if you were content with what you already paid for

• Love
Reactions: Sweet OJ and P85_DA
Keep your fingers crossed. Some time ago Tesla found a way to enhance the power to many of their cars. Called it Uncorking and it significantly increased the performance of those qualified. It required the vehicle to be taken to the service center, but the solution was totally software/firmware. Made the cars much faster.

It may happen again with the Model 3.

Reactions: Pkmmte and Sweet OJ
Oh well, they are actually saving me money I shouldn't be spending anyway (and keeping my wife from killing me for already spending too much on a depreciating asset).
If you guys have 2+ cars, then trade cars with your wife and insist that she have a chance to enjoy the new Tesla. When she gets to the point where she wants to keep driving the Model 3, see if she'll let you sell her car and buy a Model 3 Performance. :D Just don't wait too long if you want to get the full $7500 federal tax credit.

Reactions: Sweet OJ
If you guys have 2+ cars, then trade cars with your wife and insist that she have a chance to enjoy the new Tesla. When she gets to the point where she wants to keep driving the Model 3, see if she'll let you sell her car and buy a Model 3 Performance. :D Just don't wait too long if you want to get the full $7500 federal tax credit.

I like your plan a lot, unfortunately I just can't swing it financially.

Reactions: Pkmmte and P85_DA
Keep your fingers crossed. Some time ago Tesla found a way to enhance the power to many of their cars. Called it Uncorking and it significantly increased the performance of those qualified. It required the vehicle to be taken to the service center, but the solution was totally software/firmware. Made the cars much faster.

It may happen again with the Model 3.

Uncorking was never a feature Tesla sold or advertised ..different scenario than P ..where it’s financialy advantageous for them to sell at premium ..no doubt they can SW unlock some things but I wouldn’t hold out for uncork of LR 3 the performance time frames are too close already

Reactions: MXWing
you still have decent resale value on your new 3, especially with the 7500 federal tax credit. It's not too late to sell your current car and buy a new one with performance and without EAP.. It'll be a hassle, but financially you should move fast - it'll be a totally different situation in 6 months when the market is full of 3's

So my question remains, why not make more money off of me and make me happy at the same time?
Simple:

You would not agree to the upgrade price that would make it worth their while.
It should be fairly obvious that Tesla is organized to make money from a high volume production business of somewhere north of 1,000 cars a day. This approach is the same as any other new car manufacturer. It is not by accident that NONE of them dabble in what you want.

Last edited: