Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Twin Chargers: Why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jack, you are correct the J1772 stations at WA's CHAdeMO location are limited; I gave the WA DOT heck for that, but they just begged Aerovironment for J1772 after the wrote the CHAdeMO contract, and that was all Aerovironment had.

HERE is a map with some 70A locations (the blue flags) on the West Coast. Some of them are J1772, some are HPCs and would require an HPC-to-Model S adapter, which Tesla has charged me for but not delivered yet.

By the way, look for campgrounds with 50A service. That runs at 240V. Not all campgrounds have it, but many do and places like KOA that attract the big rigs often have a good setup and note availability on their web site.

Any chance you know how to assemble a similar map for the East Coast? That amp is awesome.

- - - Updated - - -

I ordered the Twin Chargers due to the fact that I am hopeful that there will be some chargers on the road that are more than 30-40A. I also realized (after I had configured my car) that charging with a High Power Wall Connector at a Tesla service station (or retail store) could be an option while traveling as well and in that case Twin Chargers are the way to go. I plan on taking long road trips and the Superchargers will not be on the east coast until 2015 but it looks like a number of Tesla service stations will be opening up in March of next year (if all goes as planned). At this point, I am willing to wait an hour+ for some extra juice for my battery, but not 5 hours (at 30A charger for instance!!).

Carl - Omni Hotel, New Haven, will be my J-1772 Haven.

This is an old thread, but the question I still a good one now that we are starting to see a major roll-out of Superchargers.

If:

a. one anticipates their Model S to be 90% local driving with overnight 14-50 charging at home
b. 10% of longer drives that would almost always take advantage of superchargers

Then:

I am not sure why Twin Chargers is worth it as an option.

Would love to hear from some folks who've ordered their Model S's in the past few weeks/months. Did you get the Twin Chargers? No?

I am not sure why Twin Chargers is worth it as an option.

Would love to hear from some folks who've ordered their Model S's in the past few weeks/months. Did you get the Twin Chargers? No?

I will. It's going to be years before we have great SC coverage, and in any event, they won't cover all routes. I'm hopeful that I'll see 70 amp J1772 once in awhile, and think twin chargers is a small investment to be able to take advantage of the opportunity.

Reasons for twin chargers/HPWC:

1) Limited amount of low cost time on my PG&E (7 hours) E9 EV rate. To full charge a 85 kWh battery you need more than 7 hours with 10 kW.
2) Weekends I may take a long drive in the morning and want to take another long ride in the evening.
3) There are no Superchargers anywhere nearby.
4) In California and Canada there are 70 Amp J1772 EVSE.
5) I expect Tesla to offer an even larger battery pack in future which will take even longer to charge.

1) Limited amount of low cost time on my PG&E (7 hours) E9 EV rate. To full charge a 85 kWh battery you need more than 7 hours with 10 kW.

You do realize that's spending $1500, plus tax, to save a few pennies per kWh, right?

2) Weekends I may take a long drive in the morning and want to take another long ride in the evening.

How many miles total that day? Are you really going to drive 200 miles, end up at home, charge for some hours, and then drive 200 miles again. When was the last time you did that?

3) There are no Superchargers anywhere nearby.

If you're driving 200 miles from San Jose, you are, or soon will, be passing Superchargers.

4) In California and Canada there are 70 Amp J1772 EVSE.

As a Roadster owner who's done road trips, I know you're not going to want to sit around charging at 70 amps. Really.

5) I expect Tesla to offer an even larger battery pack in future which will take even longer to charge.

It's not battery size that matters, it's how far you've driven and when you will drive again.

With over 10,000 Model S's sold, I think it's time to hear from owners about all those times they needed the twin chargers.

With over 10,000 Model S's sold, I think it's time to hear from owners about all those times they needed the twin chargers.

Right, that's my issue in a nutshell. I am debating whether to order an option that's going to add $1620 to the cost of the car (estimated CA sales tax included).

I was planning all along to order the Twin Chargers, but since I have no plans to order the HPWC, and I expect to mainly use Super Chargers when driving long distances in California, I just don't see a compelling reason to order 'em now.

Right, that's my issue in a nutshell. I am debating whether to order an option that's going to add $1620 to the cost of the car (estimated CA sales tax included).

I was planning all along to order the Twin Chargers, but since I have no plans to order the HPWC, and I expect to mainly use Super Chargers when driving long distances in California, I just don't see a compelling reason to order 'em now.

How about $3,600 later, versus $1,500 when you order the car?
Shop Tesla Gear Twin Charger with Installation

I have the twin chargers, and built my own 75A EVSE for about 1/2 the cost of the HPWC
Not that I've needed the ability to charge at 75A often, but what I do now is use the charge timer, and charge shortly before I leave for work, minimizes the time at higher SOC. I've also reduced my SOC to 170 miles (about %70), so I'm not keeping the pack at %90 full any longer since I've had the ability to lower it with 4.5

What the twin chargers give you the ability to do quickly, is to now bring it to %90 to %100 quickly, when you need it, and maintain a lower SOC for everyday use. Yes, this "babying" of the pack probably isn't required, but I'm sure long term it will result in slower pack degradation.

How about $3,600 later, versus $1,500 when you order the car?
Shop Tesla Gear Twin Charger with Installation

I have the twin chargers, and built my own 75A EVSE for about 1/2 the cost of the HPWC
Not that I've needed the ability to charge at 75A often, but what I do now is use the charge timer, and charge shortly before I leave for work, minimizes the time at higher SOC. I've also reduced my SOC to 170 miles (about %70), so I'm not keeping the pack at %90 full any longer since I've had the ability to lower it with 4.5

What the twin chargers give you the ability to do quickly, is to now bring it to %90 to %100 quickly, when you need it, and maintain a lower SOC for everyday use. Yes, this "babying" of the pack probably isn't required, but I'm sure long term it will result in slower pack degradation.

This is exactly what I'm doing since 4.5.

Plus, we have some nice 70 amps chargers (SunCountry Highway) in Canada so it's quite handy to have twin chargers on the road.

The main reason is future proofing. I know several Leaf drivers who didn't purchase the faster charging port for their car because when the Leaf first came out there weren't any chargers. Now two years later, there are plenty of fast chargers and they regret not getting the fast charging port.

The main reason is future proofing. I know several Leaf drivers who didn't purchase the faster charging port for their car because when the Leaf first came out there weren't any chargers. Now two years later, there are plenty of fast chargers and they regret not getting the fast charging port.

The future is superchargers, not 70-80 amp Level II chargers. At least anywhere you'd want to drive to from Texas.

- - - Updated - - -

I challenge the notion that the time difference to go from Standard Mode Full to Range Mode Full has ANY measurable effect on pack degradation. Heck, given that the car automatically reduces the amperage as the battery gets full means you're not taking advantage of the second charger anyway

Even with your larger than default 90% to 100% charge, you're only talking a 15 minute saving IF there wasn't any amperage reduction. But, there is, so you're probably not saving anything at all.

Finally, as for keeping the pack at 70%, Tesla has specifically stated that keeping SOC below 95% does not really help battery life (see http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/bit-about-batteries), which says:

There is a huge difference in cycle life between a 4.2V/cell charge (defined by the manufacturers as “fully charged”) and a 4.15V/cell charge. 4.15 volts represents a charge of about 95 percent. For this reduction of initial capacity (5 percent), the batteries last a whole lot longer. Unfortunately, further reduction of charge has a much smaller benefit on cycle life. Understanding this tradeoff, Tesla Motors has decided to limit the maximum charge of its cells to 4.15 volts, taking an initial 5 percent range hit to maximize lifetime of the pack.

That was for Roadster, and if anything, Model S battery chemistry is even more tolerant and less affected.

Matter of fact, I'd argue that a 70% max charge actually means you're degrading your battery more! Why? Because foot stomping performance, which pulls more current out more quickly, is harder on packs when the SOC is lower.

Last edited:
Luckily I don't "stomp my foot " often, if ever. I'm 53, not 23, I don't feel the need to do that any longer.
You manage your pack how you want, I'll manage mine how I want. Until several years have gone by, and actual pack degradation can be measured, it's all conjecture. BTW, Using the "middle" SOC range is how GM & Toyota manage the Volt & Plug in Prius, and the Volt is also a thermally managed pack

Edit: GM & Toyota are on the hook for 10 year warranties on the Volt & PiP packs, because they are considered part of the drive train, for emissions purposes. Yes, they are being conservative and trying to minimize warranty claims for pack replacement before the 10 years is up. Exactly :)

Last edited:
You're right waiting around for 70A LII charging on a roadtrip would suck. What's even worse? Waiting around for 40A LII charging. LOL

I'm trying to get a 70A j1772 installed at the local track. There will never be a super charger there, at least not in my lifetime. It would be hugely beneficial, as last time I ran out of power after circling the track for 54km. Faster charging is better.

I bought it primarily for situations where I would likely need to fast-turn around the car. Circumstances changing and needing to leave on a longer errand on shorter notice, etc...

I've had my car for a month, and used my twin chargers once because it was convenient (the Tesla showroom at the local mall has a HPWC @ 80 amps).

I don't yet have my home HPWC running @ 80 amps, but plan to soon. Not having it already caused a little bit of a tight schedule for me on one occasion...