TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Two brakes per rear rotor

Discussion in 'Model S' started by smorgasbord, Jan 20, 2012.

1. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

I just stopped by the Santana Row store for a quick visit. I noticed the black Model S there has two disc brakes per rotor.

I think the Roadster's brakes aren't quite up to the task of spirited driving. With a weight of 4000lbs, Model S needs good brakes, but I wonder why they didn't beef up the fronts instead?

2. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Related...

What time is it? NAIAS TIME! | Forums | Tesla Motors

3. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Yes, I heard the same thing. Most cars I know have a cable that can actuate the main calipers for "emergency brake", but for some reason the S has a small slave caliper for that.

4. Albern

Albern Member

I can't recall other cars except the McLaren F1 that actually have a second set of calipers.

I wonder if by making the parking brake electronically actuated we'll loose the function of emergency braking. What's the alternative if the braking system suddenly shuts down?

5. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Yeah, I'm Douglas3 on the Tesla forums. The main calipers are hydraulic, and the second, smaller brake shoe is actuated by a fairly beefy looking electric actuator.

It seems very unlikely that you would lose both the hydraulic systems and the electronic systems simultaneously.

6. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

7. goyogi

goyogi Member

Is that a brake dust shield that's stamped with the letter T?

8. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

The letters T|E|S|L|A go around that plate as I recall (not just a T).
    I think they call it a spash guard to keep road debris from striking the brake rotor. So not so much to keep brake dust in, but rather to keep contaminants out.

9. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

All these components are bought from part suppliers. Maybe all existing brake calipers with built in "parking brake feature" aren't strong enough for S? ICE cars have bigger brakes in front, S is an exception for having really big brakes in the rear.

10. GSP

GSP Member

It is common for cars with 4-wheel disc brakes to use small cable actuated drum brakes in the rear for the parking brake, instead of using the main calipers.

Also, it it interesting that the Model S uses fixed calipers, instead of the cheaper, and much more common, floating calipers. This is going to be a GREAT driver's car.

GSP

11. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

12. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#12 TEG, Jan 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
    Apparently (retrofit?) on some Honda/Acura NSX as well.
    IMG_1319.JPG
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Dodge Viper:
    [​IMG]

14. Cal1

Cal1 Member

Are the pistons on both the main caliper and the e-brake solenoid driven? No hydraulic fluid? If there is one where is the master? If we lose power on a hill will the e-brake disengage, letting it just roll?

Cal

15. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

The e-brake is electrically driven, but is NOT a solenoid. That would not make any sense at all, as it would (a) be unsafe and (b) would consume too much power.

It sounds like an electric motor when it engages/disengages, so I'm pretty sure that's exactly what it is. You do not have to worry about your car rolling away.

16. Newscutter

Newscutter Member

So in the event of a catastrophic brake fluid leak--- could the parking brake be used at the emergency brake and stop the car? In a regular car there'd also be downshift options but even with regen that might not be fast enough (like downhill).

17. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Yes. Press and hold the Park button and the parking brake will engage.

18. Cal1

Cal1 Member

So how is it exactly engaged? Gotta be something actually pushing the pistons to pinch the rotors. Unlike the actual brake calipers I don't see any brake bleeder valves.

19. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I would imagine it's some kind of screw or cam driven by a motor and gearbox.

20. tezco

tezco Sig P85

On the Leaf you can pull once to activate emergency brake and pull a second time if you need more stopping action.