Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two different usb drives not recognized..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This seems like it should be a easy task. I received my first tesla (model y) yesterday. Ive tried two different usb drives, both formatted as FAT32, both with a TeslaCam folder. The car isnt recognizing either.

I also tried to format on mac as MS-DOS. As well as tried different software apps.

the two drives are brand new and pretty well reviewed -

PNY 128gb duo-link usb 3.1
Sandisk ultra fit 256gb usb 3.0

what could I possibly be doing wrong? I plugged my iphone into the usb port and it charges fine.

I helped my brother get his going as he was having the same issue. I would not recommend using Fat32 if you don’t have to. You could always use EXT4 and the latest Tesla updates also support ExFat.

On a Mac, use Disk Utility to delete all partitions and create a new GUID partition formatted in ExFat.

On Windows, use the DISKPART utility from the command prompt. Run the CLEAN command to wipe all partitions and data. Then do CONVERT GPT to make it GUID and finally format as ExFat.

Create your TeslaCam folder and you should be good to go. You can name your drive anything you want when formatting.

• Informative
Reactions: empiredown
I had issues initially but was able to fix it. I am on version 2020.5.10.3 as well.

I am using the Samsung endurance micro SD card and the tiny SanDisk USB reader recommended by others here. I formatted it to fat32 and just had the TeslaCam folder in there but the car wouldn't recognize it. Turns out your not supposed to label the drive itself? Once I cleared the name of the drive and formatted it again (fat32) then it works well.

• Informative
Reactions: SFLKiting
I had this issue recently, Sentry Mode / TeslaCam only works with FAT32. Reading storage as in Media files may work with other format but TeslaCam doesn't work with any other format than FAT32 on the Model Y. I've tested it all...

Works fine with EXT4.

I’ve probably used 5 different USB Flash drives and SSD’s. Both FAT32 and EXT4. Every one has worked. Both a Model 3 and a Model X.

One thing I did learn. Don’t use 3rd party tools on Windows to do FAT32. I used a Mac for that. But I also run a dual partition and found setting the partitions easier on Windows then I format on Mac for Fat32 and Linux for EXT4. I exclusively use EXT4 now. But Fat32 worked fine too.

All my drives are labeled. But maybe a funky label might throw Tesla for a loop.

Works fine with EXT4.

I’ve probably used 5 different USB Flash drives and SSD’s. Both FAT32 and EXT4. Every one has worked. Both a Model 3 and a Model X.

One thing I did learn. Don’t use 3rd party tools on Windows to do FAT32. I used a Mac for that. But I also run a dual partition and found setting the partitions easier on Windows then I format on Mac for Fat32 and Linux for EXT4. I exclusively use EXT4 now. But Fat32 worked fine too.

All my drives are labeled. But maybe a funky label might throw Tesla for a loop.

I didn't try EXT4, I tried exFAT and NTFS

Despite using a USB C connector the Model Y is still only using the USB 2.0 protocols, signalling and power. So if you have USB storage devices that are USB 3.x only, they won't work. Nor do they have enough power to "fast charge" or charge a laptop/high power device. Booo Tesla

• Disagree
Reactions: preilly44
Works fine with EXT4.

Other formats may not work with the model Y yet (just like they didn't with the 3 initially), we are on an older software version right now.

Despite using a USB C connector the Model Y is still only using the USB 2.0 protocols, signalling and power. So if you have USB storage devices that are USB 3.x only, they won't work. Nor do they have enough power to "fast charge" or charge a laptop/high power device. Booo Tesla
It does fast charge. I am getting over 3000 mA using USB wire, and over 2000 mA using the wireless charger. 2.0 is more for data transfer speed, not charging.

It does fast charge. I am getting over 3000 mA using USB wire, and over 2000 mA using the wireless charger. 2.0 is more for data transfer speed, not charging.
That makes sense. USB 3.0/USB-C is very different as it comes to power delivery, it can negotiate different voltages and current, which is the main difference with USB 2.0 as it comes to charging.

Last edited:

3000 mA is "fast phone" charging and wasn't what I was referring to, I was referring to high power USB C devices such as laptops and tablets. For example my HP tablet flags the Tesla plug has having "insufficient power to charge" when I connect it.

3000 mA is "fast phone" charging and wasn't what I was referring to, I was referring to high power USB C devices such as laptops and tablets. For example my HP tablet flags the Tesla plug has having "insufficient power to charge" when I connect it.
Yeah, but most car USB isn't meant for charging a laptop. Most of the laptop chargers are at 45 to 60 watts. Most car USB is meant for phone chargin .

Yeah, but most car USB isn't meant for charging a laptop. Most of the laptop chargers are at 45 to 60 watts. Most car USB is meant for phone chargin .

For families I'd bet a fair share of the charging in the back is for tablets on road trips, hence my "just a caution FYI" comment. Just because its a USB C plug doesn't mean it can charge all USB C devices; people often assume that just because the plug fits it will work, not the case here.