Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TxTag/EZpass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in Austin and can't get the tag to work for the life of me, but for tolls in Austin as long as you go online and associate your plate with your TXTag you get the discount anyway. The only issue is that when you use toll roads in Houston or Dallas you don't get the discount (and there's one toll road in Houston that doesn't match up plates and tags, I think).

Did you try the external tag behing the nosecone like RLA12194 did? Some of the windshields are coated and the internal tags won't work anywhere.

I'm in Austin and can't get the tag to work for the life of me, but for tolls in Austin as long as you go online and associate your plate with your TXTag you get the discount anyway. The only issue is that when you use toll roads in Houston or Dallas you don't get the discount (and there's one toll road in Houston that doesn't match up plates and tags, I think).

That's good to know--I'd rather not have a tag, and just link it. When I go to Houston or Dallas, I normally fly, so that's no problem.

I traded my old toll tag for the license plate tag at the Toll Tag Store planning to mount it behind the nosecose (I go to DFW a lot). However, when I took my car in for its 12,500 mile maintenance, the Dallas Service Center offered to mount it for me. They used a couple of toggle bolts and mounted it to the lower grill. They said that this should work better than mounting behind the nosecone. I will take pics later today and post.

I traded my old toll tag for the license plate tag at the Toll Tag Store planning to mount it behind the nosecose (I go to DFW a lot). However, when I took my car in for its 12,500 mile maintenance, the Dallas Service Center offered to mount it for me. They used a couple of toggle bolts and mounted it to the lower grill. They said that this should work better than mounting behind the nosecone. I will take pics later today and post.

Great! Appreciate the pics.

Here are the pics of the toll tag mounted to lower grill. Not too bad.

20131023_164556.jpg
20131023_164736.jpg

debuntx--your toll tag looks identical to the license plate ones used in the SF Bay Area. FWIW, mine is in fact mounted on the face of the black bumper rail behind the nose cone, and works flawlessly, even on our 'high speed toll lanes'. I would rather not see any transponder, either mounted on the inside windshield or on the outside. And I did not mount my front plate (even though it is required in CA).

The Service Center in Farmers Branch gave me a sticky back vinyl pouch that you slip your toll tag into and then adhere it to the outside of the windshield just below the registration/safety sticker. It is black (not clear) so the sticker does not show through but it works perfectly everywhere I have tried it. Also very unobtrusive. Its a 2 minute fix to any TX tag issues you are having.

@Doug: While I had the bar mounted under my nosecone, I think your solution is probably the best one. I've certainly been to locations where the gate did not raise (or was very delayed) with the frunk mounted option. I think I may ask for such a pouch next time I go in for service.

I ended up going the license plate tag route, and mounting it behind the nosecone. Works a treat, but I never considered that an outside vinyl pouch would work. Much easier to do, probably a better solution and hides the blue/orange tolltag sticker.

I wonder if they would mail one. I have a tag, but I actually live in Amarillo and when driving I'd prefer not having to make a pit stop at TxTag service center.

The Service Center in Farmers Branch gave me a sticky back vinyl pouch that you slip your toll tag into and then adhere it to the outside of the windshield just below the registration/safety sticker. It is black (not clear) so the sticker does not show through but it works perfectly everywhere I have tried it. Also very unobtrusive. Its a 2 minute fix to any TX tag issues you are having.

Those are patches I made for them. I'm glad to see they are getting put to good use. I have mine mounted just to the left of the rain sensor. That won't work on the newer cars with the Autopilot camera, though. Do you have a picture of your placement, Doug?

Those are patches I made for them. I'm glad to see they are getting put to good use. I have mine mounted just to the left of the rain sensor. That won't work on the newer cars with the Autopilot camera, though. Do you have a picture of your placement, Doug?

My TxTag just arrived today, and I actually was just about to call the TxTag people in Austin to ask for one of these. So you made these yourself and donated them to the State ? Does only Farmers Branch have a supply?

What are the specs on the vinyl pouch, maybe I could rig one up myself. And what is preventing theft of the tag? Does it get destroyed if it gets pulled off the windshield?

My TxTag just arrived today, and I actually was just about to call the TxTag people in Austin to ask for one of these. So you made these yourself and donated them to the State ? Does only Farmers Branch have a supply?

What are the specs on the vinyl pouch, maybe I could rig one up myself. And what is preventing theft of the tag? Does it get destroyed if it gets pulled off the windshield?

I made a stack of them for the Farmers Branch Service Center. Chet did me a favor, so I made him some. It's not a pouch, per se, but a rounded black glossy vinyl square that has ~ .5" of overlap over the thin tolltag. You can stick the tolltag on the middle of the sticky part, then put the whole thing on the glass (or roof above the glass). Where mine sits now, next to the rain sensor, you have to look closely to see it. It's been there for over a year, and the tip of the wiper blade hits about 50% of it, causing no damage. The trick to making sure there are no bubbles is to spray it with lightly soapy water, then squeegee out the water/bubbles. As for theft, the location of mine up top would make someone have to climb up on the car to get to it. I haven't peeled mine off to see if it destroys it, though. I would think the risk of theft is about the same or less than the big black plastic thing on the license plate that says "This is a toll tag".

And for what it's worth, this tag patch was developed after I worked with an NTTA manager at the toll tag store, and many trips back and forth on the same stretch of Dallas North Tollway. The nosecone on my Dec 13 car would not allow the thin tag, thick tag, or the license plate tag to work. There are no places behind the glass that work, either. The tag's antenna is positioned on the angle of the glass to match the angle of the transceivers that NTTA and others use. If you stray from that antenna angle too much, it has a much harder time working.

I made a stack of them for the Farmers Branch Service Center. Chet did me a favor, so I made him some. It's not a pouch, per se, but a rounded black glossy vinyl square that has ~ .5" of overlap over the thin tolltag. You can stick the tolltag on the middle of the sticky part, then put the whole thing on the glass (or roof above the glass). Where mine sits now, next to the rain sensor, you have to look closely to see it. It's been there for over a year, and the tip of the wiper blade hits about 50% of it, causing no damage. The trick to making sure there are no bubbles is to spray it with lightly soapy water, then squeegee out the water/bubbles. As for theft, the location of mine up top would make someone have to climb up on the car to get to it. I haven't peeled mine off to see if it destroys it, though. I would think the risk of theft is about the same or less than the big black plastic thing on the license plate that says "This is a toll tag".

And for what it's worth, this tag patch was developed after I worked with an NTTA manager at the toll tag store, and many trips back and forth on the same stretch of Dallas North Tollway. The nosecone on my Dec 13 car would not allow the thin tag, thick tag, or the license plate tag to work. There are no places behind the glass that work, either. The tag's antenna is positioned on the angle of the glass to match the angle of the transceivers that NTTA and others use. If you stray from that antenna angle too much, it has a much harder time working.

I have called NTTA several times..and tried to talk to the customer rep but they don't understand.

My first toll tag was working 60-70% of the time until I visited Love field airport and then it did not work and my toll tag was suspended temporarily

After calling NTTA and talking to them they sent me a transponder??? and I have it installed on the license plate. Now nothing is working.

Chris TX: Do you recommend that I talk to anyone specific?

Please let me know and thanks for your time

I have called NTTA several times..and tried to talk to the customer rep but they don't understand.

My first toll tag was working 60-70% of the time until I visited Love field airport and then it did not work and my toll tag was suspended temporarily

After calling NTTA and talking to them they sent me a transponder??? and I have it installed on the license plate. Now nothing is working.

Chris TX: Do you recommend that I talk to anyone specific?

Please let me know and thanks for your time

If you have the thin tag, you can use one of my vinyl patches. The Dallas Service Center might still have some, or you can just get one from me.

If you don't have a thin tag, demand one. That's the only one I've found that works with this method.

For what it's worth, nothing works on my car, including Chris' awesome solution. Mine correctly scans less than 5% of the time - currently the transponder bar. NTTA manually adds all of my toll scans and they show up a couple of weeks after I travel.
11bf638273e81f9a5b2377f9f0d3f9a4.jpg