Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tyre Blow Out on 7 mth old Model 3 …. Not happy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
EE30EBBC-D681-42BF-A40D-A0F1B985B7F2.jpeg

The tyre looks to be split here possibly from previous kerb damage, I know I pinched a tyre similarly on my old 3 and the new style wheels have less rim protection that the old ones, but it could be damage from the blow out. You can’t blame Tesla, Pirelli maybe but they are a good tyre brand and it’s unlikely it’s a tyre fault, far more likely to be some kind of external damage. There are lots of M3 Performance on Pirelli’s out there with higher miles and it’s not a common issue I’ve heard of.

Reactions: Pauld999
My Tesla model 3, age 7 months, had a front passenger-side tyre blow out on M25 last night. We were travelling in the fast lane, it was very busy and very rainy, dark November night. We were travelling at approx 65-70 mph when it happened… it’s fair to say we are lucky to be alive
The car gave no indication that there was a problem until it blew

View attachment 870941 View attachment 870942
Age of the car has zero to do with this, simply bad luck. Probably damaged the tyre somehow on the same journey. Not a Tesla issue.

I note that another thread has been started by OP with a similar title on the general Model 3 section of the forum. So far no responses. Maybe, out of the thousands of owners out there, there will be someone who has had a similar tyre problem ... but nobody so far. I've heard of a broken spring (not in a Tesla) ripping the sidewall out of a tyre ... so in some unusual circumstances it can be a car problem ... but this doesn't appear to be the case here.

Speculation to follow: It’s possible to have invisible damage caused previously by running over a pothole or kerb that has pinched the sidewall. The weak spot then fails on the motorway.
I have a 2019 Model 3 Performance. I hit a pothole about 9 months ago and it resulted in both nearside tyres needing to be replaced due to bulges in the sidewall - damage directly relating to that pothole strike. The bulges were not obvious until you looked along the side of the car carefully, and ran your hand over the tyre at that point. Had I not noticed this, this is exactly the type of damage that can lead to a blowout at high speed. They were Michelin's btw, Pilot Sport 4S. The 20" wheels on these cars, coupled to the 35 profile, can very easily lead to tyre damage as there is very little sidewall to soak up shock.

I note that another thread has been started by OP with a similar title on the general Model 3 section of the forum. So far no responses. Maybe, out of the thousands of owners out there, there will be someone who has had a similar tyre problem ... but nobody so far. I've heard of a broken spring (not in a Tesla) ripping the sidewall out of a tyre ... so in some unusual circumstances it can be a car problem ... but this doesn't appear to be the case here.
There's a special corner of hell reserved for people who x-post.

Sorry this happened to you and glad you’re ok. I agree with the other posts, though. There’s virtually no way this is caused by Tesla or the car. Possible/likely causes that I can think of:
  • Debris on the roadway. You said it was raining, it’s very possible there was something you didn’t see.
  • Previous damage to the tire. You may well have driven over something or damaged the sidewall prior to getting on the freeway, weakening the tire. The additional stress of driving at high speed then caused the blowout.
  • Improper tire pressure. Less likely but a possibility. A 7 months the tire pressure is the responsibility of the owner, not Tesla.
  • Defective tire. There may have been a manufacturing defect in the tire that cause the blowout. It will likely be impossible to tell at this point.
  • Really bad alignment. If your alignment is grossly off it’s possible to wear tires quite quickly and in theory you could have blown a tire because of this. That’s something you should have noticed while driving, though and 6000 miles is still really fast for that much damage to occur. There should also be evidence on the remaining tires.
As far as Pirellis vs Michelins goes, they both make good tires and I would certainly not call Pirellis ‘budget’ tires. Even a cheap budget tire should not blow out at 6000 miles.

Again, sorry to hear this happened but the most likely explanation is that this is a bit of bad luck that one sometimes encounters when owning a car.

Last edited:
Reactions: PeteSanders
Thank you all for your comments, I am just en-route now to collect my car, it is an hour away and Tesla have supplied a taxi. They have assured me the car is safe and they have checked all the tyres. Sadly they have charged me £100 more for the tyre, But hey ho, at least I will have my car returned even if it does make me apprehensive to drive again

Agree it does happen …. But not in my experience of 42 years driving. It was an horrible experience and one I don’t want to repeat
As others have previously stated, this can happen in any car, one of the risks of driving I guess, amongst the many others. No one would want to repeat it but the only way to guarantee it would be to give up driving.

Yes its fair to say I had a blow out on a fast, busy motorway on a very wet night.
I am really not sure what you are expecting people to say. If you are that bothered, take the tyre to a laboratory for it to be forensically examined and if the product is found defective, begin legal action against Pirelli, I feel that you will be wasting your time and huge amounts of money because I suspect that you have damaged the tyre and it was compromised structurally and subsequently failed, resulting in your incident. But what else can anyone say to you to help?
Carry on driving or give up, your choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.