Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tyres for S85 and S70

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I contacted Continental Australia and just got a response that the 19 in version is not in Australia yet, but possibly early in the new year. I did not enquire regarding the 21 in and to judge from the reply, it is possible they are indeed here.
I have previously had Continental on a different vehicle and they were expensive but excellent. Gripped like proverbial s*** to a blanket. Probably no dearer than Michelin pilot sport 3 though.
The 21 conti sport silents are available from either tesla location. Substantially cheaper from tesla than any tyre dealer.
The ride on the conti's is very good.

I agree, it has been very difficult, but I found today a comparison of different Michelin tyre characteristics at the Tyreplus site

Car Tyres

and the Primacy 3ST score set for mileage, fuel efficiency, handling, braking, comfort, noise is......
9 9 8 9 9 9

compared to

Sport3 7 8 9 9 8 7
PS2 7 7 9 8 7 6
PSS 8 7 9 9 8 6
PSC2 6 5 10 10 5 5

On the basis of these criteria, I would not now have changed my choice of the Primacy 3ST. It is down one point on handling compared to PSS and Sport 3 but the tyre life, fuel efficiency (for range), braking, comfort and noise are all as good or better. In fact I find the handling for the 3STs very predictable, even on aggressive turning. Predictability is more important to me than ultimate G force, since for passengers the car has awkward door grab surfaces and modest seat bolstering.

Also, the PSS is roughly twice the price. Check out the site.

These criteria are useful but what about actual grip? I mean actual g-forces, rather than handling (which can include things like how progressive loss of grip is).

For me, wet weather grip is what counts. Most tyres are fine in the dry, but some wide tyres have very poor grip characteristics in the wet.

These criteria are useful but what about actual grip? I mean actual g-forces, rather than handling (which can include things like how progressive loss of grip is).

For me, wet weather grip is what counts. Most tyres are fine in the dry, but some wide tyres have very poor grip characteristics in the wet.

The 3 STs seem fine to me, also to others - for example.

Michelin Primacy 3 ST Reviews (page 2) - ProductReview.com.au

The wet weather performance is excellent with plenty of grip in heavy rain situations, when either changing directions or under heavy braking.

and

All my cornering, wet road handling can be done with confidence without staining my nickers

How quiet are they, David? Is there a noticeable difference over the Goodyears?

Very quiet and comfortable, smooth and confident around corners and in the wet. The Goodyears were much noisier and transmitted pavement joins very sharply. The 3STs are still audible on the same joins but you don't feel them. I really see no trade-off. These should be the standard tyres for the S85s.