Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

U.K. Supercharger Fees

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What matters ultimately is the wholesale price of electricity. You have roughly a 4x times increase since last year.
This hasn’t been fully reflected in the price cap that applies only for households yet, hence the new hike for October. But public EV charging operators, even if they might be hedged for some time, will have to follow suit and pass this on if it doesn’t come back to previous levels soon.
View attachment 810496
I look at charts like this every few days. The wholesale price is around 12p/kWh. It was around 10p last week.

I’m surprised the app doesn’t tell you the price of a supercharger.

Might be just the software development cycle scheduling ... particularly if the change from "country wide pricing" to "individual site / time-of-day" was unanticipated until energy prices spiralled

But Tesla prioritisation is often weird ... Auto Wipers and a number of things like it could be dramatically improved with a software push. So if they chose to prioritise that they could ... but something else would have to yield, and maybe that is more important (to someone!)

He is full of *sugar*.
I am not saying you are wrong about him generally but superchargers are no more expensive than most and the network is being rapidly expanded so I am guessing that any operating profit gets ploughed back into the expansion so overall I doubt they are directly positively contributing to Teslas bottom line or ever have

You should look at the margin and not the percentage. How much did the operators charge last year vs how much have they increased for a 15p increase. You would notice that everyone has increased their margin.
There was a thread about this a while ago and someone looked at the accounts. most of the networks were running at a loss. So basically we are funding their expansion but no one is actually making a fortune from charging right now

Reactions: Adopado and init6
You should look at the margin and not the percentage. How much did the operators charge last year vs how much have they increased for a 15p increase. You would notice that everyone has increased their margin.
They do need to flatten the changes though, people would get very confused if their prices change often, so adding more margin at the point of increase and then holding on longer as the prices changes. It's the only sensible way to do while their is largely unpredictable increasing prices. It would be very disappointing if one of the big operators collapsed due to poor management of pricing.
I do wonder how Octopus are able to continue to offer their Go pricing, sure the day rate is higher, but overall it must be making a loss for them as wholesale prices aren't generally lower.

They do need to flatten the changes though, people would get very confused if their prices change often, so adding more margin at the point of increase and then holding on longer as the prices changes. It's the only sensible way to do while their is largely unpredictable increasing prices. It would be very disappointing if one of the big operators collapsed due to poor management of pricing.
I do wonder how Octopus are able to continue to offer their Go pricing, sure the day rate is higher, but overall it must be making a loss for them as wholesale prices aren't generally lower.
They renewed my Go Faster at 2019 rates. Not complaining. Is going to save me £1000 over the next 12 months but no idea why they did it.

Reactions: Rooster6655
I am not saying you are wrong about him generally but superchargers are no more expensive than most and the network is being rapidly expanded so I am guessing that any operating profit gets ploughed back into the expansion so overall I doubt they are directly positively contributing to Teslas bottom line or ever have
I thought that Tesla really only charged for the cost of electricity and maintenance, to 'grow the network' money comes from the contribution from new cars or the £10 a month that non-Tesla pay for membership. Other networks with memberships are charging less than Tesla. I think in general I agree with the sentiment of the OP, Tesla are double dipping on membership/margin for charging while the prices are high, charming behaviour. It used to be that Tesla were cheaper than alternatives.
Even more reason for other networks to be listed in Tesla navigation.

I thought that Tesla really only charged for the cost of electricity and maintenance, to 'grow the network' money comes from the contribution from new cars or the £10 a month that non-Tesla pay for membership. Other networks with memberships are charging less than Tesla. I think in general I agree with the sentiment of the OP, Tesla are double dipping on membership/margin for charging while the prices are high, charming behaviour. It used to be that Tesla were cheaper than alternatives.
Even more reason for other networks to be listed in Tesla navigation.
You may be right but if there were any "accidental" operational profit I assume that would also go back into the network.
Yes It would not be that hard for Tesla to list other networks. I am sure the networks would me more than happy to provide the necessary data. The API's clearly already exist since Zapmap seem to have RTI on most of them.
I doubt it is a ploy to promote the superchargers more likely just the usual Tesla US centric approach to software features. Since there are barely any Tesla supporting 3rd party networks in the US this is probably not seen as a priority.

Regardless of the price it is a fair request to know about the prices before hand like practically every other charging network, I am sure there was more information available in the past.

There isn't a reason why they can't dynamically update the supercharger map and the app with the data, as the data is going to have to be somewhere for them to charged correctly and would just be a case of sharing it with their internal systems.

Unless I am doing a full charge where other chargers are available I am not overly concerned about the price for an essential journey, if I need to charge over night then I would look to compare pricing and probably consider the superchargers last unless I knew the pricing beforehand

superchargers are no more expensive than most

,,, and for that money also have very good maintenance / up-time, and have more stalls, often not fully populated, than others. A rash of other-brand EVs and 4-stall competitor sites is going to be a major annoyance for them - unless Tesla open all their sites

I am sure there was more information available in the past.

My recollection is that the whole country was single-price?

There isn't a reason why they can't dynamically update the supercharger map and the app with the data, as the data is going to have to be somewhere for them to charged correctly and would just be a case of sharing it with their internal systems.

Indeed. Comes down to when they choose to schedule that software development, and what else might get bumped as a consequence - plus whatever "don't care" factor there might be ...

I have a very simple rule here for when someone wants a software change in a hurry (we have a long calendar of planned DEV). "These are the people / departments you need to speak to, and you need to get confirmation from each that their project can be pushed back by X-weeks, and that they will reschedule to make time available for requirements / sprint-review / testing et al including staff holidays etc. etc. etc."

They go away at that point!

It would be nice to have prices in the App to compliment the live site status that was recently added - however, reading this thread I do wonder what the difficultly is? The price per kWh is available to every Tesla owner before you reach a SuC simply by tapping the SuC site pin on the screen. It's simple 🤷‍♂️