Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

U.K. Supercharger Fees

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there anyway of knowing U.K. supercharger fees before using?

Just used Keel Supercharger and surprised to be charged .50p/kWh

I thought Musk once said Superchargers would never be used for profit. That’s a lots of ancillary extras if I can change at home with Octopus for .055p/kWh - almost 10 times less.

If I add in a supercharger stop as a way point I can click on the superchargers and see how much they are per kWhr. My car wanted to stop at Woodall on the way home last week which was 1p/kWhr more expensive than the other 3 options (and not at an optimal time in my journey IMHO).

I thought Musk once said Superchargers would never be used for profit. That’s a lots of ancillary extras if I can change at home with Octopus for .055p/kWh - almost 10 times less.
It was mentioned in another thread, your home rate is subject to a government price cap and is related to the reason some suppliers have gone bust. It will also likely rise at the next review.
The wholesale rate applicable to Tesla superchargers will be very different, so it isn’t a like-4-like comparison.

It was mentioned in another thread, your home rate is subject to a government price cap and is related to the reason some suppliers have gone bust. It will also likely rise at the next review.
The wholesale rate applicable to Tesla superchargers will be very different, so it isn’t a like-4-like comparison.
The VAT rate is also lower on domestic electricity compared to wholesale

Instavolt : 57p
Osprey: 49p
BP: 55p
Shell: 55p
Gridserve: 45p

Welcome to 2022

Comparing your home rate to that of a service provided by a business is not practical in any way. You may be lucky enough to still be paying 5.5p per kWh at the moment, but that won't last much longer. As others have said, wholesale prices are on the rise & set to keep going for the time being.

Charger operators also have to pay rent for the land their chargers are on, maintenance costs, general business costs to operate, initial installation costs ro run high capacity electrical infrastructure, plus many other costs invisible to the general user.

New octopus tariff on Go is .075 on 0.05

Just saying

Once your in the driver seat, you are submissive to Tesla's fee whatever they feel like charging on the day, at the time.
As it changes so rapidly, there is obviously a reason they dont want to publish the supercharger fees

obviously you can always pre-charge at home for cheaper, but theres no fun in that having paid £10k for the SuC network

If you don't why do you want a price list?

Although it does seem a bit odd that there isn't one - somewhere on the website?

Can't be competitive advantage, surely,. as the information can be obtained ...

Might be that the Back Office systems are just not in place ... yet ... or "why would we bother to build that automation" may also apply I suppose.

Long shot: Maybe it is to reduce, short-term, the number of non-Tesla's thinking that they'd like to charge at Supercharger sites

50p is exorbitant, and people must complain to the TeslaCharging team. Imagine what the prices would look like in October when the next batches of price increases come through with home day tariffs expected to reach 40p or above on SVR. While operators technically may not be affected, it would make it easy for them to sell another arbitrary price increase.

50p is exorbitant, and people must complain to the TeslaCharging team. Imagine what the prices would look like in October when the next batches of price increases come through with home day tariffs expected to reach 40p or above on SVR. While operators technically may not be affected, it would make it easy for them to sell another arbitrary price increase.
What matters ultimately is the wholesale price of electricity. You have roughly a 4x times increase since last year.
This hasn’t been fully reflected in the price cap that applies only for households yet, hence the new hike for October. But public EV charging operators, even if they might be hedged for some time, will have to follow suit and pass this on if it doesn’t come back to previous levels soon.
1653897795006.png