Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

U.K. Supercharger Fees

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there's a lot of companies just jumping on the "things have got more expensive" bandwagon, but with electricity it really has. I don't know where the power for the super chargers comes from, but it's possible that in some services they have to buy through the same provider that the main services does, and therefore pay the same rates rather than be able to make their own deal. But our industrial units here have gone from 14p/kwh to 30p/kwh so if we fitted a public charger to one of our buildings, and lets assume we need 10p/kwh to cover costs, then I'm at 40p + vat so 48p/kwh ..... Until prices start dropping I can't see much option. It's scandalous that the government haven't dropped the vat to 5% as people without home chargers are being royally screwed.

Reactions: SR-Plus
Hmm. We are driving to southern Italy and Greece in the summer and my wife asked me what it will cost in electricity. I have been having the same challenge trying to find supercharger prices. Cant find them anywhere. Would using £45p as a ballpark estimate be a good starting point / average for EU/UK?

Cant find them anywhere
It's all in the cars navigation display. Bring the list of chargers up, tap on the SuC pins on the map and it will tell you the price per kWh for that site. Repeat for the site(s) you will/ may visit on your trip. Admittedly, you have to be sitting in the car to view them but the prices are there. BTW, sounds like a great trip .... enjoy :)

Indeed. Comes down to when they choose to schedule that software development, and what else might get bumped as a consequence - plus whatever "don't care" factor there might be ...

I have a very simple rule here for when someone wants a software change in a hurry (we have a long calendar of planned DEV). "These are the people / departments you need to speak to, and you need to get confirmation from each that their project can be pushed back by X-weeks, and that they will reschedule to make time available for requirements / sprint-review / testing et al including staff holidays etc. etc. etc."

They go away at that point!
I think they are just finishing up the last couple of things on FSD and then they are going to get right on it............

Hmm. We are driving to southern Italy and Greece in the summer and my wife asked me what it will cost in electricity. I have been having the same challenge trying to find supercharger prices. Cant find them anywhere. Would using £45p as a ballpark estimate be a good starting point / average for EU/UK?
I would assume 50p per kWh however if travelling abroad you are probably limited to the superchargers for convenience unless you plan your hotel stays around charging which may get you a good deal with some research.

Reactions: InventEd
Personally, the little planning I do for trips is from the comfort of my sofa on my phone. Don’t want to have to go out to the car to look at prices!
while fair comment, but...
is price difference of 10 p per kwh, when you need to charger, let's say 50 kwh (which is 5 gbp as price difference) that big? Did you do the pre-planning on your last ICE, checking what the fuel prices on your route are, planning to stop at Gulf or Marrissons garage?! I doubt it.

all in all, in 3.5 months I have a car I used SUC like 4 times in total, charging more or less 30 kwh max per stay, because I never really needed more.

I did used to look at petrol prices once upon a time. Planning charging can be the difference between free vs £40. I’ll take the free option thanks.
yes, between free and 40 - then there is a difference.
between 35 and 40 - not so much.

but hey, looks like you were the guy who used to travel 10 miles and spend 2 pounds in order to save that 1 pound :/

• Funny
Reactions: btc1k and NewbieT
Having sat in my car for the past 20 minutes clicking on various superchargers, the U.K. prices range from 47p to 50p. The majority being about 50p

I checked through my Tesla SUC history and the cheapest was .28p and the most expensive .50p. They vary as I did some late night and early AM charging. I saw petrol stations with £1.98 per litre. My trips covering over 1000 miles in the Tesla are nearly 50% cheaper compared to my ICE Diesel cost.

The majority of charging is at home so I suppose it doesn’t effect me as much as someone who depends on them.

The good news is ionity is just 35p from today via the bonnet app with no subscription. What's the point of superchargers anymore?
I am guessing you are from the south of England and seldom travel north of Birmingham?

Draw a line from Preston to Leeds and tell me which of the four, yes 4, Ionity chargers situated north of that line could best be used by the rest of the UK to the north of that line! I would drive south past two SC’s to get to the first Ionity.

4 sites maybe 18 Ionity chargers. They do have a few planning apps in.

The issue seems to be a disproportionate number of chargers in the South and that isn’t just Ionity- that’s most networks.

Bonnet at 35p seems worth a look. If it’s like Maingau though it’ll be an introductory offer and won’t last for long. Never thought I’d see the day when Ionity was cheaper than a Supercharger. (Yes, if you can find one).

Reactions: Toblerone