Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2020.48.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it's more down to WhatsApp.

WhatsApp have been clamping down on third party access and don't yet have an app that lets you use the service from multiple places like Telegram or Viber do; they really are a bit slow on the service improvement front.

Allowing synchronisation of messages to a car system is probably a long way down their list of things to do.
Good point, hadn't considered it may be the developers of whatsapp who are reticent to provide access to others to access their infrastructure.

I wonder if web.whatsapp.com works in the browser? Will test later.

Saw some videos of the SMS updates on YouTube last night. The implementation looks really nice, you can view your contacts, tab to the messages and see your message history with the contact.
I’ must check the sync settings since I updated and rebooted this morning I’m not seeing any message history. I seek out the videos too.

Loving @Medved_77 getting the Xmas tree referral in .... slick !

Really hoping we see a roadmap for map updates soon. Albeit in my first month with the car I did nearly 2k miles, in the last 2 months I’ve done < 500 total ! It’s currently costing me < £1.50 a week total expense to run this car - madness !

• Funny
Reactions: Medved_77
Loving @Medved_77 getting the Xmas tree referral in .... slick !

Really hoping we see a roadmap for map updates soon. Albeit in my first month with the car I did nearly 2k miles, in the last 2 months I’ve done < 500 total ! It’s currently costing me < £1.50 a week total expense to run this car - madness !
£1.50 per week. You’ve been robbed!
I’ve spent £1.85 in total on 1900 miles :p
To be fair, I owe it to my solar panels. I only started paying for off-peak power at the beginning of November.
It’s still dirt cheap fun motoring

I wish I could justify solar. However, even if they reduced my entire energy bill (gas and electric) to zero, they would still take around 5 years to pay for themselves (about 10 on real figures). I'll have moved house by then.

Reactions: NewbieT
I wish I could justify solar. However, even if they reduced my entire energy bill (gas and electric) to zero, they would still take around 5 years to pay for themselves (about 10 on real figures). I'll have moved house by then.
Yes, it’s an investment to make when you’ve settled.
10 years ago, long before we had solar & EV’s, our electric bill was over £1K annually and that’s with oil heating. This year’s will be under £300!

Yes, it’s an investment to make when you’ve settled.

The problem is that investment has to compete with other investments. It won't increase the value of your home by much, so the money you spend on it is gone, the only thing you get is the leccy savings. If you compare it to investing in a pension or an ISA, it's likely to be 15+ years before it breaks even... which (if what I've been told is accurate) is the point at which you will likely need to start replacing bits anyway.

I can see it being worth it at some point, but I couldn't justify it right now even if I expected to be in the same property for the next 30+ years. The prices would need to fall significantly, or leccy and gas prices increase significantly, before I could see it being worth it, and even then I have much better things to spend my money on right now.

The problem is that investment has to compete with other investments. It won't increase the value of your home by much, so the money you spend on it is gone, the only thing you get is the leccy savings. If you compare it to investing in a pension or an ISA, it's likely to be 15+ years before it breaks even... which (if what I've been told is accurate) is the point at which you will likely need to start replacing bits anyway.

I can see it being worth it at some point, but I couldn't justify it right now even if I expected to be in the same property for the next 30+ years. The prices would need to fall significantly, or leccy and gas prices increase significantly, before I could see it being worth it, and even then I have much better things to spend my money on right now.
The other consideration is that we’re doing our little bit for the planet. It’s an insignificant amount I know, but it’s something.

It basically means that they cannot drive off with your car even if they get hold of the keys. With your phone being your key for many Model 3 drivers, and many relying on walk away locking, if you leave your phone in the car on the charging pad there's nothing to stop someone driving off without PIN to drive enabled.

It is basically just a second line of defence: If it is enabled, a thief many be able to gain entry to your car if they gain access to your key or phone somehow (left in car/pick pocketed/house break in etc). However, they will not be able to drive the car away without also knowing the PIN.
Unfortunately a determined thief can still find a way around any security measure with a little time
Security

Unfortunately a determined thief can still find a way around any security measure with a little time
Security

Spot on... unless you're a 6'6" Body Builder, or connections with the Mafia and have an armoury on site, you want to balance making it hard to take away, but not so hard that they decide to kick your front door in and threaten you and your family.

It's like the glovebox pin, it's great, but if they want in, a big screwdriver, clawhammer, whatever will just break in. In reality, that's about the right balance... again, you don't really want to be visited while you're in bed at night for the sake of the contents of your glovebox.

Reactions: Gasman23
I have PIN to Drive enabled, but there have been times I have seriously considered disabling it. It is only a tiny inconvenience, but it gets irritating enough at times that I can completely understand people who don't use it, even when they know about it.

One of the biggest annoyances is how quickly it kicks in. You can pull over, jump out to check something/post a letter/open the door for a relative. 30s or less out of the seat, with the key/phone still in place and car still unlocked, but it still asks you for the PIN again.

Now of course, this is a security feature in itself as it prevents the car being driven away by an opportunist while you are posting your letter. It does still grate slightly at times, though, and many people I know would disable it just because of that.
I'd like to see a setting that allows a length of time whilst I'm out of the car before the pin is required again.

If you're targeted then forget it, you've probably lost your stuff.

If it's opportunistic then mostly you just have to be slightly more difficult or less obvious than the next most likely candidate.

Hence: Valuables out of site doesn't prevent a determined thief, but will probably make an opportunist move on because they don't know if they will get any reward for their risk.

Reactions: Zakalwe and Drmouse