Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK 2021 Model 3 Q4 Collection and Delivery Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_7984.jpg

Found this near the rear tyre arch panel, is this rust?

• Informative
Reactions: Thatsuperelec
It the excess paint and/or possible poor masking line in the panel gap that is what looks "off" to me.

The brown stains could be transferred from a partial area of bare metal in that crack....
If I was a betting man, I'd say they're noticing a fair few service repairs come through on that missing paint. I recon they're going round spraying those that have the missing paint to save the aggro later.

reason I say that, these parts are sprayed individually, and from the photo there is almost a joint between the two panels caused by overspray. What the brown is I do not know - deffo not rust. Could be masking, looks almost like clay. Could be the fact the car was cleaned shortly after and something has stuck to the paint from that process.

Assume it doesnt rub off.

Picked up my Blue SR+ this morning from Thorpe Park. So much fun to drive home - I test drove a Performance and was worried the SR+ might disappoint but it's so quick so no regrets there.

One very minor blemish that will easily polish out, but was disappointed by one bad panel gap on the left side of the boot. The right side looks fine (although I presume a bit too tight) but the left side of the panel is offset by a noticeable amount. Worryingly I checked 4 other cars parked near mine in the collection tent and they were all like that. Is that kind of panel gap even fixable, I assume Tesla will say it's 'within tolerance', anybody have any idea? Surprised really to have that as no one else seems to have had many issues with panel gaps this quarter so was hoping it was sorted now.

panelgaps.jpg

Picked up my Blue SR+ this morning from Thorpe Park. So much fun to drive home - I test drove a Performance and was worried the SR+ might disappoint but it's so quick so no regrets there.

One very minor blemish that will easily polish out, but was disappointed by one bad panel gap on the left side of the boot. The right side looks fine (although I presume a bit too tight) but the left side of the panel is offset by a noticeable amount. Worryingly I checked 4 other cars parked near mine in the collection tent and they were all like that. Is that kind of panel gap even fixable, I assume Tesla will say it's 'within tolerance', anybody have any idea? Surprised really to have that as no one else seems to have had many issues with panel gaps this quarter so was hoping it was sorted now.

View attachment 741161
I am completely OCD when it comes to this but I genuinely don't see an issue on that photo but I am also in turn afraid to look any harder in case I do

I agree it doesn't look too bad in the photo, the curvature makes it hard to capture the misalignment. But basically, the panel gap on one side of the boot is about 4mm and more like 7mm on the left. That alone isn't so bad and you probably wouldn't notice unless looking for it but where the boot meets the roof (where it's clearly intended the panels align, surely??) it's very clearly misaligned by perhaps 3mm and doesn't look great.

Just handed over my car to the boys at Bicester Heritage for a full ceramic coat. I was very sad to see her go after having her less than a week.
Certainly some nice wheels there. Saw an E-type Jag in mint condition that I imagine cost a pretty penny.

I too have the squeaky windows issue. I wondered if it's just because they haven't been worn in but yeah, it shouldn't be a problem on a new car.

View attachment 741161
Good colour choice! Did your car come with the two front USB C ports and the wireless charging pads?