Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2022.24

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not a bug though, is it? It's a conscious software behaviour decision.

They might change their mind on it, but it's not a bug.
The conscious decision was to force auto beam and auto wipers which now have more visible bugs.

Forget autosteer for a second. I always used auto beam, and maybe the radar was avoiding many bugs from showing up. Without the radar, my car now uses the high beam on sections it never used. And then it is dipping in stretches where I was expecting it to stay on high beam. To have an effortless long night journey, it is very essential for the feature to be predictable (one way or the other). Right now the behaviour is unpredictable, therefore, risky.

To expand - the top trim MG4 for example is £32k and comes with auto everything and it will all actually work pretty well. Sure, lane following may not be as solid as AP can be, but overall, it will almost certainly be a much more finished and advanced car in terms of the driver assistance stuff.

360 parking cam and V2L too.

Throw in Supercharger access with a port on the correct side and…..
View attachment 848241
I am also on mgevs forum and actively considering an MG as a second car. Every car has pros and cons and there are comprises to achieve a price point of £32k.

I am also on mgevs forum and actively considering an MG as a second car. Every car has pros and cons and there are comprises to achieve a price point of £32k.
Yeah of course - the point is really that even very affordable EVs from a manufacturer like MG now have driver assistance that is, in reality, much better in UK / Europe than that offered by Tesla — and I strongly suspect a lot of Tesla h employees and US customers haven’t really appreciated this.

Significant danger, I think, that Teslas will soon be seen as outdated in Europe.

Yeah of course - the point is really that even very affordable EVs from a manufacturer like MG now have driver assistance that is, in reality, much better in UK / Europe than that offered by Tesla — and I strongly suspect a lot of Tesla h employees and US customers haven’t really appreciated this.

Significant danger, I think, that Teslas will soon be seen as outdated in Europe.
Sadly, Tesla is similar to all US-centric companies, such as Apple (think Apple Card/Cash, etc...). Most products and innovations are tailored for their domestic market and they don't bother to adapt/make them available overseas. Other regions are essentially subsidising US customers. Until they vote with their wallets..

Reactions: Kenners and goRt

Agreed.

I also think there's a good chance the MG4 is being sold currently at a bit of a discount to gain market penetration. Even the top spec one at £31.5k seems like a steal to me given it claims to do ~280 miles.

I think if I started to do serious miles, or even went back to commuting fairly regularly, I'd be looking at something like this to replace my M3P. I'd end up with 2/3 of the price of it back in my bank account and no discernable downside.

I haven't fallen out of love with my M3P, but more and more I feel like it's a bit like a 2000s era Ferrari (back it was understood that you paid for the engine and the rest came for free, not dissimilar from Tesla's battery tech) - everyone else enjoys seeing and admiring them, assumes they're amazing to own, but in reality it's a pain in the arse in almost every way you can imagine, and you are missing almost everything that those same people who fawn over it take for granted in their cars that cost a fraction of the amount, making them a pain to use practically. I'm getting to be a bit sick of having a car that everyone else enjoys and I don't, to the same degree at least.

Reactions: CWT3LR
I don’t feel like that tbh (though I’ve only had it since March) - at least not until this latest update saga and having to choose between UI improvements and making fundamental driver assistance changes.

Whilst charging other cars continues to be a PITA (every time I try and use another charger now I sigh relief when I go back to a SC) the limitations of Tesla are outweighed, for me. An i4 would be nicer to drive, I’m sure, and the laser lights would be next level, but then I’d have to deal with queuing up in McDonald’s car parks, and it’s a lot more expensive. An MG4 would be very sensible, but dull and depressing to own, like the Kona was.

If I’m honest, I enjoy the fact that Teslas are at least interesting EVs in this regard - alway wondering what the next update will do, lots of potential for third party integrations (eg S3XY buttons, Teslogic etc - Other EVs available in the UK (with the exception of Polestar maybe) are still basically just buy it and and then it will stay pretty much as it is with limited software improvements (or negative changes), and more limited possibility for 3rd party integrations etc.

At least with Tesla there’s always that hope that annoyances can be resolved with software - it’s just super annoying when instead of that happening, retrograde changes are made instead!

I’m still checking the app regularly to see if I’m being offered the update that I’m bitterly complaining about…!

Fortunately, I went into buying it already fully aware of all existing annoyances (it’s just ones introduced by subsequent updates which will really frustrate). These are my thoughts after test drives - where it was obvious to me then that it was in many ways way behind the ID3 I had at the time:

1. Auto steer (aka lane following assist) deactivates whenever you indicate or steer to change lane, but then does not re-enable automatically in the new lane - like other cars I’ve had did. Assume that’s normal / is a penalty of not paying thousands for enhanced auto pilot or whatever??? Pretty annoying, especially with the bongs when reactivating manually every time.
    [*]Ride even on 18s isn’t great.
    [*]Pretty noisy at 70 - not unbearable, but plenty of tyre roar.
    [*]Main test car is a 21 plate China made example with 16k miles on the clock - both front window seals creak, a lot, and ruin the ambience quite a bit. Maybe just needs some Gummipflege??
    [*]Lack of right foot rest is annoying after the ID3 - seems an odd omission give “autopilot”. Uneven footwell is also weird.
    [*]Wash-wipe set up, and general view out is nice - much easier to place on the road than the ID3.
    [*]Standard range (old version with more power than the latest cars) is quick enough really.
    [*]Screen needs to be tilted towards driver ideally.
    [*]Climate control seems a bit hot then cold then hot - probably a heat pump thing. All EVs I’ve had with heat pumps do this. The ones without have not.
    [*]Quite a few obvious software annoyances / omissions.
    [*]This car has ‘old’ atom processor - lags occasionally. Definitely would like to have new Ryzen processor.
    [*]General calibration of motor and accelerator / regen / brake etc is really good - way better than the ID3 / Kona / e208 - felt good like the i3 did.
    [*]Unless I totally missed it - theres no way of reducing the regen - again, it’s like the i3 in that sense.
    [*]Boot is really quite impressive, taking into account the sub-boot bit - swallows quite a lot more than the ID3 does. Even the main part is not as shallow as I expected.
    [*]Seats are comfortable - way better than the ID3.
    [*]Headlights are fairly poor given the tech they supposedly possess. Auto high beam is next to useless. Matrix LEDs on ID3 are much, much better.
    [*]ID3 feels more refined in most regards - except for audio quality, seat comfort and software finesse.
    [*]Door shut sound is fairly nasty - feels pretty cheap.
    [*]Speedo on centre screen is fine - almost better than the ID3 screen if you have less than perfect vision, which I find too close and requires a significant refocus from road to speedo.
    [*]Model 3 (v11 software) touchscreen hvac controls are much better than ID3 - much easier to adjust on the move.
    [*]Sat nav / map is passable but not great - I’d much rather have a large screen Apple Maps. Late instructions, lacking guidance, poor auto-zoom etc.
    [*]“Autopilot” is pretty poor really - 2016 Skoda Superb we had was better overall at doing “Autopilot” - ie active cruise and lane following. Yeah, Tesla kind follows pretty tight curves - but they’re the bits I like actually driving. I just went lane following and active cruise to drive boring stuff without freaking out.
    [*]ID3 cruise control is more advanced than the basic Tesla system - having to tap the Tesla screen to have the ACC adopt the new speed limit is a bit silly. Why not alert speed limit on the screen, and have driver press the end of the right stalk confirm??
    [*]Rear visibility is really poor due to high parcel shelf.
    [*]Interior quality is okay - but there’s an overall feeling of hollowness. ID3 feels more substantial.
    [*]Lack of a dead pedal for right foot was really annoying after being used to one.
    [*]Fabled Tesla route planner wasn’t all that in actual use - seems to have taken a backwards step in v11 compared to older videos I’ve watched. Told me charging would be required to reach destination, but didn’t show predicted % at destination without scrolling right to the bottom of the long list of turns/directions, and didn’t automatically insert charging stop???
    [*]Standard audio system was okay. Noticeably inferior to the one in the LR.
    [*]Glass roof noticeably quite dark - almost to the point of, what’s the point? Better to have clearer glass and a cover.
    [*]Steering accurate and with good turn in - next to no feel though.
    [*]Process of activating cruise and or auto steer simple, intuitive and tactile - much better than ID3 touch buttons.
    [*]Engaging autosteer when not already perfectly centred in a lane results in sudden and fairly abrupt autosteer to the centre of the defected lane - should be much more gradual and refined.
    [*]Netflix / YouTube etc nice - but should be option to have on part of screen or PIP so can route plan etc at the same time. Fairly slow to load with old processor.
    [*]Indicators are a bit weird - never seem to auto cancel.
    [*]Driver profile set up for seating/wheel/mirrors is really well done. Seems odd to not go the whole way and make the interior mirror motorised too.
    [*]Blind spot camera display badly positioned - invariably partially blocked by left hand.
    [*]Wireless chargers / phone holder are good - shame that they couldn’t be be a touch lower so the main screen doesn’t get in the way and prevent Face ID unlock.
    [*]No 12v in boot - odd.
    [*]Reverse camera good, but needs cleaning washer.
    [*]Cones, traffic lights, wheelie bins shown on the display in a car with basic Autopilot are a gimmick and probably best turned off.

Last edited:
Reactions: rotor2k and Durzel
Used 180 miles of AP today (from v early morning). TACC and autosteer worked fine (even on roads you probably shouldn't use them on).

Auto wipers - completely fine. Had one section where it was wiping too fast imo but settled after about 3 seconds.

Auto high beams - mostly worked well, sometimes turned off a little late (taking <0.5s) on bends. Seems to turn on with brake lights visible far off in the distance, which from the distance I would say isn't blinding them but is probably a little annoying.

Not saying there aren't issues with all of these systems, and wasn't super busy for autoHB (which, can be turned off), but the experience today was actually pretty great.

In fact, I had no intervention (except lane change) for about a 170 mile stretch until I reached a bunch of roundabouts, but we won't talk about AP & roundabouts here...

I don’t feel like that tbh (though I’ve only had it since March) - at least not until this latest update saga and having to choose between UI improvements and making fundamental driver assistance changes.

Whilst charging other cars continues to be a PITA (every time I try and use another charger now I sigh relief when I go back to a SC) the limitations of Tesla are outweighed, for me. An i4 would be nicer to drive, I’m sure, and the laser lights would be next level, but then I’d have to deal with queuing up in McDonald’s car parks, and it’s a lot more expensive. An MG4 would be very sensible, but dull and depressing to own, like the Kona was.

If I’m honest, I enjoy the fact that Teslas are at least interesting EVs in this regard - alway wondering what the next update will do, lots of potential for third party integrations (eg S3XY buttons, Teslogic etc - Other EVs available in the UK (with the exception of Polestar maybe) are still basically just buy it and and then it will stay pretty much as it is with limited software improvements (or negative changes), and more limited possibility for 3rd party integrations etc.

At least with Tesla there’s always that hope that annoyances can be resolved with software - it’s just super annoying when instead of that happening, retrograde changes are made instead!

I’m still checking the app regularly to see if I’m being offered the update that I’m bitterly complaining about…!

Fortunately, I went into buying it already fully aware of all existing annoyances (it’s just ones introduced by subsequent updates which will really frustrate). These are my thoughts after test drives - where it was obvious to me then that it was in many ways way behind the ID3 I had at the time:

1. Auto steer (aka lane following assist) deactivates whenever you indicate or steer to change lane, but then does not re-enable automatically in the new lane - like other cars I’ve had did. Assume that’s normal / is a penalty of not paying thousands for enhanced auto pilot or whatever??? Pretty annoying, especially with the bongs when reactivating manually every time.
    [*]Ride even on 18s isn’t great.
    [*]Pretty noisy at 70 - not unbearable, but plenty of tyre roar.
    [*]Main test car is a 21 plate China made example with 16k miles on the clock - both front window seals creak, a lot, and ruin the ambience quite a bit. Maybe just needs some Gummipflege??
    [*]Lack of right foot rest is annoying after the ID3 - seems an odd omission give “autopilot”. Uneven footwell is also weird.
    [*]Wash-wipe set up, and general view out is nice - much easier to place on the road than the ID3.
    [*]Standard range (old version with more power than the latest cars) is quick enough really.
    [*]Screen needs to be tilted towards driver ideally.
    [*]Climate control seems a bit hot then cold then hot - probably a heat pump thing. All EVs I’ve had with heat pumps do this. The ones without have not.
    [*]Quite a few obvious software annoyances / omissions.
    [*]This car has ‘old’ atom processor - lags occasionally. Definitely would like to have new Ryzen processor.
    [*]General calibration of motor and accelerator / regen / brake etc is really good - way better than the ID3 / Kona / e208 - felt good like the i3 did.
    [*]Unless I totally missed it - theres no way of reducing the regen - again, it’s like the i3 in that sense.
    [*]Boot is really quite impressive, taking into account the sub-boot bit - swallows quite a lot more than the ID3 does. Even the main part is not as shallow as I expected.
    [*]Seats are comfortable - way better than the ID3.
    [*]Headlights are fairly poor given the tech they supposedly possess. Auto high beam is next to useless. Matrix LEDs on ID3 are much, much better.
    [*]ID3 feels more refined in most regards - except for audio quality, seat comfort and software finesse.
    [*]Door shut sound is fairly nasty - feels pretty cheap.
    [*]Speedo on centre screen is fine - almost better than the ID3 screen if you have less than perfect vision, which I find too close and requires a significant refocus from road to speedo.
    [*]Model 3 (v11 software) touchscreen hvac controls are much better than ID3 - much easier to adjust on the move.
    [*]Sat nav / map is passable but not great - I’d much rather have a large screen Apple Maps. Late instructions, lacking guidance, poor auto-zoom etc.
    [*]“Autopilot” is pretty poor really - 2016 Skoda Superb we had was better overall at doing “Autopilot” - ie active cruise and lane following. Yeah, Tesla kind follows pretty tight curves - but they’re the bits I like actually driving. I just went lane following and active cruise to drive boring stuff without freaking out.
    [*]ID3 cruise control is more advanced than the basic Tesla system - having to tap the Tesla screen to have the ACC adopt the new speed limit is a bit silly. Why not alert speed limit on the screen, and have driver press the end of the right stalk confirm??
    [*]Rear visibility is really poor due to high parcel shelf.
    [*]Interior quality is okay - but there’s an overall feeling of hollowness. ID3 feels more substantial.
    [*]Lack of a dead pedal for right foot was really annoying after being used to one.
    [*]Fabled Tesla route planner wasn’t all that in actual use - seems to have taken a backwards step in v11 compared to older videos I’ve watched. Told me charging would be required to reach destination, but didn’t show predicted % at destination without scrolling right to the bottom of the long list of turns/directions, and didn’t automatically insert charging stop???
    [*]Standard audio system was okay. Noticeably inferior to the one in the LR.
    [*]Glass roof noticeably quite dark - almost to the point of, what’s the point? Better to have clearer glass and a cover.
    [*]Steering accurate and with good turn in - next to no feel though.
    [*]Process of activating cruise and or auto steer simple, intuitive and tactile - much better than ID3 touch buttons.
    [*]Engaging autosteer when not already perfectly centred in a lane results in sudden and fairly abrupt autosteer to the centre of the defected lane - should be much more gradual and refined.
    [*]Netflix / YouTube etc nice - but should be option to have on part of screen or PIP so can route plan etc at the same time. Fairly slow to load with old processor.
    [*]Indicators are a bit weird - never seem to auto cancel.
    [*]Driver profile set up for seating/wheel/mirrors is really well done. Seems odd to not go the whole way and make the interior mirror motorised too.
    [*]Blind spot camera display badly positioned - invariably partially blocked by left hand.
    [*]Wireless chargers / phone holder are good - shame that they couldn’t be be a touch lower so the main screen doesn’t get in the way and prevent Face ID unlock.
    [*]No 12v in boot - odd.
    [*]Reverse camera good, but needs cleaning washer.
    [*]Cones, traffic lights, wheelie bins shown on the display in a car with basic Autopilot are a gimmick and probably best turned off.
Yup fair points well made. Maybe I was a bit hyperbolic :)

Reactions: Dilly
It's not a bug though, is it? It's a conscious software behaviour decision.

They might change their mind on it, but it's not a bug.
An poor design decision is as much as bug as a simple coding error. It just occurred earlier in the process.

In IT these days we mostly call them 'issues' to avoid the ambiguity - and to eliminate the 'by design' response from the process (aka the 'we deliberately made our software crap' response).

Last edited:
Reactions: CWT3LR
I think after at least 3 years it's a fair assumption to make that Tesla don't consider the current behaviour a problem. Given that they are a US-centric company, and the fact that adaptive headlights have only recently been made legal, it makes sense that they haven't really been interested in lights at all.

That said, for whatever reason they can't even get the basics right, so the idea that they could release a software update in any meaningful timeframe that suddenly "unlocks" matrix lights or improves auto high beam in a seismic way seems unlikely. All effort seems to be being spent on FSD as things stand, entirely in favour the US market. Everything else is basically stood still, unless you count fart noises, lightshows and talking as Darth Vader through a speaker, then its cutting edge.

This year’s Christmas update is almost guaranteed to be Stream gaming, some take it or leave UI changes, maybe another theatre provider, and something like a snow globe mode…. When what people actually want is working speed limit assist, working auto high beam and better wiper controls
…and of course we just a car that doesn’t persist in delivering random nasty surprises and certainly not when it’s just being driven!

Auto highbeam with auto wipers and auto steering is just impossible. I had to abort my test due to the rain. My current s3xy buttons setup involves pressing Y followed by X and then the wipers get involved.
Screenshot_2022-09-02-21-10-03-153_com.enhauto.buttons.jpg