Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK]2022.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is from DVLA and of course you will have another evidence to say you can drive without any hands!

It is a legal requirement that a driver must have at least one hand on the steering wheel at all times while the car is moving. As far as the UK driving test is concerned, the driving examiners will expect a learner driver to keep both hands on the steering wheel unless they are carrying out another driving job. Although by law only one hand is required to steer a vehicle, this would not be acceptable in the driving test. The UK driving test is based upon the fundamental of safety. It is far safer to have two hands on the steering wheel rather than one.
Indeed it would be impossible to drive a manual car otherwise

It certainly doesn't mention that in my release notes
I was referring to the poster's comment that they were going to cover the cameras. This release hasn't introduced the driver monitoring system, so it wouldn't be in these release notes. Looks like this was announced in May last year:

or if cabin camera functionality requires diagnostics to perform.' Anybody have a clue what that last part of the sentence means?
Perhaps they are seeing errors triggered by the camera and want permission to view what the camera was seeing at the time of the error. There's also a suggestion in this article that they are testing the use of the cabin camera as part of Autopilot. So they could be harvesting these clips to feed into the AI Borg.

I would certainly be a lot more worried if the cabin camera could lip read 😳

hope it can't lip read or listen without the scroll wheel being pressed lol

Reactions: init6
Happy to report that the long sleeps have returned (1 1/2 days currently and counting)
Not been out this week and it got to nearly 6.5 days without waking before I've forced it to wake by opening the app. Not sure this is good for the 12v battery as it is being discharged more than necessary. I wonder if this is a bug, they have made a change for the new lithium 15.5v battery vehicles and incorrectly applied it to all, or it is monitoring/charging without the vehicle now appearing to be online.

I'm going to install a bluetooth battery monitor I have to see what's happening.

1647023539544.png

• Informative
Reactions: Godsense and Durzel
Will definitely be interested to hear the results. Mine woke itself up after about 3 days spontaneously but only stayed awake for an hour. Prior to 2022.4.x it would wake up religiously every 24 hours and stay “awake” for 2 hours to top up the 12v.

What you’ve said about the lithium 12v is not something I’d thought of before, but makes sense.

Like you I am concerned about the deeper discharges of the battery as a result of the longer gaps between apparent topups now. I find it hard to believe that Tesla have found so much efficiency that their systems aren’t draining the 12v by anywhere near as much when the car is asleep now.

Last edited:
Will definitely be interested to hear the results. Mine woke itself up after about 3 days spontaneously but only stayed awake for an hour. Prior to 2022.4.x it would wake every 24 hours for 2 hours to top up the 12v.

What you’ve said about the lithium 12v is not something I’d thought of before, but makes sense.

Like you I am concerned about the deeper discharges of the battery as a result of the longer gaps between apparent topups now. I find it hard to believe that Tesla have found so much efficiency that their systems aren’t draining the 12v by anywhere near as much when the car is asleep now.
I don't think the systems have ever had much load on the 12v when asleep.
I left my p100d for over a month and it only ever woke once every 24hrs for less than 15mins at a time.
It's only the alarm and unlock system that's operational

Reactions: Durzel
I don't think the systems have ever had much load on the 12v when asleep.
Correct, there isn't much load - about the same as any other vehicle. But lead-acid batteries like to be kept topped up, discharging them unnecessarily isn't good so given Tesla have the ability to charge it up periodically you would expect them to do so - not wait until the battery is deep-discharged.

The 12v battery has been a bit of a weak spot in the past, so-much-so that they have moved to the lithium ion one in the latest shipping vehicles. Not keeping them topped up is likely to just make the situation worse.

I definitely support Tesla moving away from waking up every 24 hours, but I assumed they would move to every 60 hours, not potentially 7 days or more.

Reactions: Durzel and goRt
Correct, there isn't much load - about the same as any other vehicle. But lead-acid batteries like to be kept topped up, discharging them unnecessarily isn't good so given Tesla have the ability to charge it up periodically you would expect them to do so - not wait until the battery is deep-discharged.

The 12v battery has been a bit of a weak spot in the past, so-much-so that they have moved to the lithium ion one in the latest shipping vehicles. Not keeping them topped up is likely to just make the situation worse.

I definitely support Tesla moving away from waking up every 24 hours, but I assumed they would move to every 60 hours, not potentially 7 days or more.
I think the historical 12v issues were software related in that Tesla didn't care about looking after the lead acid and used to deep discharge, this changed in software several years ago
Happy with the move to lithium Ion if managed correctly

My 2020 LR has been asleep for the past 8 days and 21 hours.
It only woke after a previous 5-day sleep for the recent software update.
It took too long for the App to connect when I went to allow the update so used my Fob to wake the car allowing the App to connect and start the update.
For the sake of the 12v battery I wonder if should I wake the car from its almost 9-day sleep or wait for it to wake itself up?

My 2020 LR has been asleep for the past 8 days and 21 hours.
It only woke after a previous 5-day sleep for the recent software update.
It took too long for the App to connect when I went to allow the update so used my Fob to wake the car allowing the App to connect and start the update.
For the sake of the 12v battery I wonder if should I wake the car from its almost 9-day sleep or wait for it to wake itself up?
It’s impossible to know for sure really.

I just woke mine up after 24 hours asleep, to see if it would start topping up the 12v, but it just went back to sleep again straight away.

It would seem on the face of it that Tesla have changed the monitoring of the battery (i.e. how much voltage sag it allows before waking up to recharge it).

I can’t think of a reason my car has gone from weeks of waking up every 24 hours to charge it, to sleeping for several days, with no hardware changes. Either that 24 hour wakeup was too excessive, and Tesla have decided the lead acid doesn’t or shouldn’t need topping up that often - which seems unusual given it’s had this behaviour for months if not years, or they’ve somehow managed to massively reduce the vampire drain on the 12v by their own processes, which is a pretty massive amount if it’s made this much difference, or it’s a software bug that may or may not be related to the new Lithium battery that undoubtedly has different recharging behaviour.

I’ll eagerly wait to see what @MrT3 sees with his Bluetooth battery monitoring thing…

I can’t think of a reason my car has gone from weeks of waking up every 24 hours to charge it, to sleeping for several days, with no hardware changes.
I’m not sure we have definite knowledge that it was waking up to check/top up the battery every 24 hours. Yes it was waking up, but maybe it was waking up just to call home to look for software updates etc? Maybe it has a monitor on the battery that triggers a wake up when necessary, rather than the car having to wake periodically and essentially poll the battery? Hopefully my monitor will provide some insight.

Reactions: init6 and goRt
I’m not sure we have definite knowledge that it was waking up to check/top up the battery every 24 hours. Yes it was waking up, but maybe it was waking up just to call home to look for software updates etc? Maybe it has a monitor on the battery that triggers a wake up when necessary, rather than the car having to wake periodically and essentially poll the battery? Hopefully my monitor will provide some insight.

Over a period of a few weeks of undisturbed parking I found it wasn't a 12-minute wake-up *every 24 hours* - more like a couple of 24 hour sleeps followed by a 12-minute wakes then the third day would be awake for an hour or so then back to a couple of days with 12-minute wakes etc.
Suggesting that the 12-minute wakes were just "phone home" and the less frequent longer wakes were maintenance checks?

Reactions: Overworked and goRt
I can’t speak for others but in my case I verified with Tesla, with timestamps, that the 2-3 hour periods that my car was awake for, every 24 hours, was “to support the auxiliary battery system”.

I had raised it as a concern because I had seen that the frequency of wakeups and these 2 hour wakefulness sessions were increasing. My car used to wake up every few days, which then became every 48 hours (like clockwork) and then every 24 hours. The logical conclusion was that the 12v battery was degrading.

Tesla told me not to be concerned, that the car maintains the 12v battery itself, and that if it detects a problem it will show a warning on screen. That was ok while I could confirm it was actually maintaining it, but now I’m not sure since it sleeps for much longer now.