Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK]2022.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope they are, the side cameras in my opinion are dreadful. My partner's bright red car looks pink.
They are increasingly being used for purposes beyond their original design. They were not put there initially for human viewing but for the computer to "see" its environment. The default colour balance no doubt has some advantages but there is now some evidence that a degree of of colour correction is being added for humans.

My 2020 LR has been asleep for the past 8 days and 21 hours.
It only woke after a previous 5-day sleep for the recent software update.
It took too long for the App to connect when I went to allow the update so used my Fob to wake the car allowing the App to connect and start the update.
For the sake of the 12v battery I wonder if should I wake the car from its almost 9-day sleep or wait for it to wake itself up?

To update this I never got round to accessing the car and I just found out after just short of 10 days (238.5 hours) it woke itself up for 80 minutes then went back to sleep. However an hour later its woken up again for two hours so far - wonder what its up to?

Battery after 1 month and 14 days parked and unplugged is only down to 84% according to TeslaFi (car App says 83%).

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel and Godsense
Bugger. Popped out for breakfast and parked up to get some stuff from the mini supermarket. Get back in the car and it’s updating the software (to 4.5.16)

I’d scheduled for like 8:30 because I wasn’t sure what would happen if it updated in the middle of octopus intelligent trying to charge it (I’m sure it just figures it out) - and as a result I appear to have stuffed myself

Bugger. Popped out for breakfast and parked up to get some stuff from the mini supermarket. Get back in the car and it’s updating the software (to 4.5.16)

I’d scheduled for like 8:30 because I wasn’t sure what would happen if it updated in the middle of octopus intelligent trying to charge it (I’m sure it just figures it out) - and as a result I appear to have stuffed myself
Your car updates without a WiFi connection ?

Ok scratch that - you can totally drive it. The progress bar changed to ‘dash cam and autopilot disabled - do not drive until complete’ which was oddly specific so I tried and it drives fine - just no dash at all so no Speedo etc. I was only a couple of minutes from home along quiet 20moh roads so dawdled home

Even at 100%?
It will show 100% in app as I regularly charge to 100% because of LFPs. But once you click the app it drops to 99% which I guess is bit strange as the car is sitting on it only for few hours without the charger connected. Never managed to understand that 1% loss other than the BMS managing the battery in a preset way. Not bothered me so much but an intriguing question of academic interest to understand how the BMS works.

The car also drops to 99% at that point.

It will show 100% in app as I regularly charge to 100% because of LFPs. But once you click the app it drops to 99% which I guess is bit strange as the car is sitting on it only for few hours without the charger connected. Never managed to understand that 1% loss other than the BMS managing the battery in a preset way. Not bothered me so much but an intriguing question of academic interest to understand how the BMS works.

The car also drops to 99% at that point.
If it wasn’t an LFP I would have said that the missing 1% represents true battery degradation (rather than just being a BMS that needed recalibration)

It will probably be the difference between between usable energy and absolute/nominal energy. Lots of reasons why it will differ (up and down) over time. Lots of threads about it including one just last week. Its easy to spot if you have something like TeslaFi etc as they will show both usable and nominal unlike the Tesla app which will only show usable. Sometimes you can spot it in the app by trying to move the change limit slider to 100% and it only allowing a lesser value. When difference gets particularly large due to cold battery, you might see a blue snowflake.

Reactions: init6
It will probably be the difference between between usable energy and absolute/nominal energy. Lots of reasons why it will differ (up and down) over time. Lots of threads about it including one just last week. Its easy to spot if you have something like TeslaFi etc as they will show both usable and nominal unlike the Tesla app which will only show usable. Sometimes you can spot it in the app by trying to move the change limit slider to 100% and it only allowing a lesser value. When difference gets particularly large due to cold battery, you might see a blue snowflake.
‘May be’, but the tesla app does show 100% after 2-3hrs - so there is a figurative representation of absolute energy at that point. And then when you open the app in few seconds it drops to 99% - the usable energy. As I said before I am not concerned about this and also not bothered about the loss of that 1%. Just wanted to know whether anyone familiar with the battery tech or BMS have another interesting explanation other than BMS management which I am aware of. The reason for the curiosity is my phone has the same or somewhat simialr tech but if I charge to 100% it remains 100% till I use that 1% before it drops to 99%. This is outside of the battery degradation. Understand Tesla’s battery is bigger and has to manage various other things but just curious if there are any other explanation of academic interest.