Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2024.14.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drove up the A90 the other day so got to try the new average speed functionality. Overall, It's a nice addition. Handy to see what you're current average is between the two cameras and the distance to the next one.

It doesn't yet handle simultaneous sections of average speed cameras though. The A90 is average speed for about 60 miles, with cameras roughly every 10 miles. It would work for cameras 1 and 2, 3 and 4 etc. but not for cameras 2 and 3, 4 and 5...

Hopefully that will get resolved.
I did the A90 Brechin- Dundee and the A9 Broxden- Dunkeld both ways this week, and it appeared to show average for the whole route and not between cameras 1-2 etc. It also did not seem to be accurate at the start and end points, often finishing before the final camera.

Of course you also have to have navigation set for the journey to cover the route. Even though you are on the road and running through the average speed cameras it does nothing unless the navigation is set.

I believe turn signals will auto indicate on a motorway when Navigate on Autopilot (part of Enhanced Autopilot and FSD) decides to change lanes. Not having used either this is just my understanding rather than knowledge.
Sure that would be the case in the US but not here. It can make suggestions to change lanes but you have to indicate and turn the wheel slightly also first. So regulations here rather than it couldn’t do it.

Reactions: Parrog
Not sure if it's a feature of 14.x but I roadtripped on 14.9 this weekend and I was impressed with the smoothness of the car setting off from 0mph on TACC/AP compared to the sudden lurch off the line on previous occasions I've tried it.
Yes I’ve noticed that it also doesn’t seem to need about 23 miles of clear road to get from 60mph to 70mph when your lane clears of a slower moving car. It accelerates quicker and the speed it does this now seems well judged, quick enough to get up to the set speed but not too quick that it’s comfortable and smooth to passengers.

Not sure if they deserve congratulations on fixing something they should have got right years ago of course but nice none the less.

It always worked like that since they introduced auto cancel. I like the way it works. You either do it auto cancel or keep it 3 flash and full press.
Yeah, on reflection I guess auto-cancel in combination with 3 flash/full press wouldn’t achieve much. Praise be for driver profiles, I prefer auto cancel, wife doesn’t 🙂

I did the A90 Brechin- Dundee and the A9 Broxden- Dunkeld both ways this week, and it appeared to show average for the whole route and not between cameras 1-2 etc. It also did not seem to be accurate at the start and end points, often finishing before the final camera.
Sounds like our experiences differ. I'm on 14.9 in case there are changes in the incremental versions.

I noticed the issue as the two items of information below the current speed limit would vanish in every other set of average speed cameras:

1718016315273.png

I'd also be informed that I was exiting an average speed zone, even though I was just completing one set and moving immediately to the next. Then I'd be notified about entering an average speed zone on the next again camera.

There’s great mystery about the tolerance within average speed zones in the UK. Because they are fixed devices officially there could be a <2 mph over limit tolerance, except they probably follow the typical <10% over guidance. Have struggled to find any evidence of letters received for such fines to identify the minimum percentage overspeed. They likely allow for a couple of overtakes above speed limit to minimise admin.

Sounds like our experiences differ. I'm on 14.9 in case there are changes in the incremental versions.

I noticed the issue as the two items of information below the current speed limit would vanish in every other set of average speed cameras:

View attachment 1055167

I'd also be informed that I was exiting an average speed zone, even though I was just completing one set and moving immediately to the next. Then I'd be notified about entering an average speed zone on the next again camera.
My average speed was much lower than that!
Just realised that above I should have said Broxden- Dunblane and not Dunkeld!

Did not notice exactly what was being displayed as notices, although there were some. I just have the cruise set to about 73.
As both are about 30 miles long stretches it is just a steady drive. Will watch more closely when I do it again this weekend.

There’s great mystery about the tolerance within average speed zones in the UK. Because they are fixed devices officially there could be a <2 mph over limit tolerance, except they probably follow the typical <10% over guidance. Have struggled to find any evidence of letters received for such fines to identify the minimum percentage overspeed. They likely allow for a couple of overtakes above speed limit to minimise admin.
The ACPO guidance is for 10% +2mph. The 10% is because the Construction and Use Regulations permit the speedometer to have this variation.

Hansard answer etc:
Screenshot 2024-06-10 at 12.11.17.png

RAC guidance on ACPO:
Screenshot 2024-06-10 at 12.06.47.png

Interesting. That explains why some average zones have resulted in fine for 57 mph in a 50 mph or no fine for 62 in a 50 mph, depending on which tolerance method above was used. Elsewhere forces have been known to use 10% + 3 mph only for 70 mph. Calibrated roadside devices only use <2 mph before capturing, but up to the local force as to what level to take action. Examples of FPNs for 34 in a 30 mph for example showing force using 10% only.

Last edited:
The ACPO guidance is for 10% +2mph. The 10% is because the Construction and Use Regulations permit the speedometer to have this variation.

Hansard answer etc:
View attachment 1055169

RAC guidance on ACPO:
View attachment 1055170
A speedo can never read under, the tolerance is only on over reading so you should only ever be going at or slower than the indicated speed - it says that above in the second part

I believe the tolerance was nothing more than "being reasonable" threshold and either way, its guidance only and some chief police officers don't sign up to it, much of Wales being a notable area

View attachment 1055167

I am on 2024.14.9 too in a late 2021 M3LR. Did a section of the A90 this morning and watched for the car screen indicators with navigation set. There was only an entering the zone and exiting the zone for me. None of the intermediate cameras were flagged with any indication. The information remained constantly displayed.

I also joined and left between camera stretches, and it did not show "entering" until after a mile or so until I came to the first camera, and it finished at the last camera before my scheduled exit so that I had a mile or so of free running!

I am on 2024.14.9 too in a late 2021 M3LR. Did a section of the A90 this morning and watched for the car screen indicators with navigation set. There was only an entering the zone and exiting the zone for me. None of the intermediate cameras were flagged with any indication. The information remained constantly displayed.

I also joined and left between camera stretches, and it did not show "entering" until after a mile or so until I came to the first camera, and it finished at the last camera before my scheduled exit so that I had a mile or so of free running!
Sounds like the code Tesla has written for this is sound, the mapping data is however of varying quality which isn't surprising. I'm happy they added it in, speed camera alerts brings them up to par with most other cars but average speed camera tracking and speed puts them above other in-built Nav systems I think.

I've also noticed by the way that the average speed it shows is your real speed and not the speed on the speedo which on both of our cars seems calibrated to be 1 mph below the cars real speed when checking against GPS. So for instance if you have your car on Autopilot at 40mph constantly in the average zone it'll show you've been going 39mph. Modern cars always know your real speed exactly, it's only the law that forces them to over report so they avoid the fines if they ever accidentally under report your speed. Anyway just mention as thought it interesting in a dull mens Facebook group kind of way. 🤣

I'd like it to do it when you are navigating also but I'm assuming they've decided if you aren't navigating, you know where you are going and hence probably know where all the cameras are anyway. Which is true I think generally but I'd still like it regardless, just make it an option so people can pick.

Reactions: browellm