Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK 2022 Orders to Delivery inc the shipping thread for posts with no shipping news

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tbh, no defence of Tesla (their EDD roundabout is crackers), I've been waiting since March, but it does seem your gripe is with Tusker, not Tesla. I've seen orders the same spec with later order dates and earlier deliveries. It's not necessarily a Tesla thing, more of a lease company thing.🤷‍♂️
With leasing the orders are managed by the Tesla Enterprise team who then seem to ignore the order date or how long someone has been waiting and group the orders together into batches so orders come early for some and a very longer wait for others. And if it’s for a bog standard M3 in white they have been told to delay and delay as there making no profit on these cars.

Last edited:
Reactions: M3UK
With leasing the orders are managed by the Tesla Enterprise team who then seem to ignore the order date or how long someone has been waiting and group the orders together into batches so orders come early for some and a very longer wait for others. And if it’s for a bog standard M3 in white they have been told to delay and delay as there making no profit on these cars.
I am a lease order and see the Enterprise in the source code. But nothing else as tesla have the car updates to the leasing company.

Got my 72 reg for my 2nd September pickup...

Amended insurance... Just need to sign my agreement and send over the money which I've already tested with a fiver and it works...

Current car goes on Sunday so it's basically a case of sign the agreement and send the money to ready for 2nd September...

All very exciting!
I got a confirmation and scheduled for collection end of this month, can I know more about your situation? I really needed a 72 plate instead of 22 which I will find it very silly to have mine picked up on the 27th of this month. How is the collection scheduled for you? Did you get a text and scheduled to pick up next month? How come you got the plates and know so much about your car now? I hope you can share some info :)

• Disagree
Reactions: M3UK
I got a confirmation and scheduled for collection end of this month, can I know more about your situation? I really needed a 72 plate instead of 22 which I will find it very silly to have mine picked up on the 27th of this month. How is the collection scheduled for you? Did you get a text and scheduled to pick up next month? How come you got the plates and know so much about your car now? I hope you can share some info :)
No one needs a 72 plate it makes very little difference 😂

What spec have you got? I’ll happily take your 22 plate and you can wait for my 72 plate car

I'm buying through Tesla, it not a lease or anything..

I got a text back in late July to schedule my delivery it offered me a few dates the earliest being 2nd September which is a Friday so that works for me.

I get a a text later saying they will send me over a reg but it's delayed because they are awaiting 72 plates from the DVLA.

They now have 72 plates and have allocated me one... But they won't be able to actually register with the DVLA till the day of collection..

This isn't a Tesla thing car dealerships selling new cars get assigned in bulk unregistered reg numbers that can use to reg a new car, that way you can give a reg number in advanced, but standard practice is to register it on or very near the day of collection... If it's registered before then that would be a pre reg and you won't be the 1 first registered owner... But this isn't what Tesla do..

So basically if your collection is on 1st September or later it'll be a 72 as only 72 plates can be registered with the DVLA from that date forward...

If it's before it'll be a 22 plate..

I'm not personally that bothered, but it's nice to have a 72 as I'm going to be owning the car, so might be better as it's technically 6 months newer for selling later... But if I was only offered August dates I'd have taken it, as it was I was only offered early September...

But if I was leasing it never going to matter.

I'm collecting from Manchester and then tends to add a day or so lead time as the car has to get up north from Southampton, so if you are collecting from the south that may have influenced the slightly earlier dates...

I'm buying through Tesla, it not a lease or anything..

I got a text back in late July to schedule my delivery it offered me a few dates the earliest being 2nd September which is a Friday so that works for me.

I get a a text later saying they will send me over a reg but it's delayed because they are awaiting 72 plates from the DVLA.

They now have 72 plates and have allocated me one... But they won't be able to actually register with the DVLA till the day of collection..

This isn't a Tesla thing car dealerships selling new cars get assigned in bulk unregistered reg numbers that can use to reg a new car, that way you can give a reg number in advanced, but standard practice is to register it on or very near the day of collection... If it's registered before then that would be a pre reg and you won't be the 1 first registered owner... But this isn't what Tesla do..

So basically if your collection is on 1st September or later it'll be a 72 as only 72 plates can be registered with the DVLA from that date forward...

If it's before it'll be a 22 plate..

I'm not personally that bothered, but it's nice to have a 72 as I'm going to be owning the car, so might be better as it's technically 6 months newer for selling later... But if I was only offered August dates I'd have taken it, as it was I was only offered early September...

But if I was leasing it never going to matter.

I'm collecting from Manchester and then tends to add a day or so lead time as the car has to get up north from Southampton, so if you are collecting from the south that may have influenced the slightly earlier dates...
Thanks for the explanation! I'm just hoping the registration won't be done on the same day and I don't mind waiting for another few days to pick up. :)

Can somebody remind me of the next step in the timeline?
How long before we usually get the 'official vin' and can pick a collection date/time by text from the moment the hidden vin is shown?
VIN discoverable usually when car is complete and ready for ship. The next step is a delivery notification(options for selecting appointment time) but all this happens before formal notification of VIN which is usually about a week before pickup.

Reactions: DRS ACTIVE
VIN discoverable usually when car is complete and ready for ship. The next step is a delivery notification(options for selecting appointment time) but all this happens before formal notification of VIN which is usually about a week before pickup.
Sorry let me rephrase that : I found my hidden vin on Tuesday. Ship's probably 20 days away. Usually how long before I get to choose a pickup time?

This was my reasoning exactly. I'm being delivered to in London, earliest date offered was 27th Aug. Same logic of MC and GS arrive in Southampton too early. The timing of the 'ITUS seemed more appropriate.
With respect, and lots of respect as it turns out, you’ve got your date and are in the next phase. What does it matter wrt what ship its on? Mr M provides super and detailed updates of how planned ships are coming along. He isn’t a Tesla employee but is particularly helpful in looking out for news of when next deliveries may happen to prompt people looking for VINS/confirmation they are at the stage you’re now at.

I don't think so? I'd imagine the cheapest option selling the most and since Tesla don't make to orders, they make cheapest trim the most since they move fastest.
There are bigger margins on the high-spec cars though, and they used to prioritise these as a result. That's why Performance versions generally had shorter delivery estimates. At least that's my understanding of how it generally works.