Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK 2022 Orders to Delivery inc the shipping thread for posts with no shipping news

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are these vinyl plates actually legal in UK?
I think they are* as long as they conform to British standards. You can find places online that will make you a plate that conforms (they claim) to British standards and for which you need to provide documentation. The key is that they are reflective, the correct size and have BS AU 145e printed on the bottom right.
Displaying number plates

* this is in no way advice!

Under the latest regulations it is debatable whether a vinyl plate could actually pass the new abrasion test. There are a couple of companies that sell them with the latest BS stamp, but printing it doesn't mean they have actually passed all the tests that are required.

After a couple of months I removed mine and went back to the standard ones (with the awful holders removed). I wasn't prepared to have a debate about the legalities with the police if I got pull over.

My previous Model S went through two MOT tests with vinyl plates fitted from Pro Plates in the UK. 👍

Tesla Crag-border.jpg

Reactions: mattdav
Under the latest regulations it is debatable whether a vinyl plate could actually pass the new abrasion test. There are a couple of companies that sell them with the latest BS stamp, but printing it doesn't mean they have actually passed all the tests that are required.

After a couple of months I removed mine and went back to the standard ones (with the awful holders removed). I wasn't prepared to have a debate about the legalities with the police if I got pull over.
Have you just screwed the plate to the bumper using the existing holes then or have you stuck standard plates on? I'm curious as to (legal) options that don't include the standard holders.

Weird - no collection or delivery texts however they have stated over text I have a estimated delivery for 25th November

This is not confirmed though, it was estimating and they told me to wait officially.

I also wanted to do a pickup, rather than a delivery which I find strange (I only live 15 minutes from Bluewater)

Found my VIN on the 2nd Nov, for those that are getting their texts for scheduling - when did you get your VIN’s?

Weird - no collection or delivery texts however they have stated over text I have a estimated delivery for 25th November

This is not confirmed though, it was estimating and they told me to wait officially.

I also wanted to do a pickup, rather than a delivery which I find strange (I only live 15 minutes from Bluewater)

Found my VIN on the 2nd Nov, for those that are getting their texts for scheduling - when did you get your VIN’s?

I got my hidden VIN on 28th October.. still waiting for collection text.

Have Tesla CS confirmed you’ve been matched to a car? I’m waiting for same spec OD 28th June. I’m hoping there is a shipment of blue coming.

Have Tesla CS confirmed you’ve been matched to a car? I’m waiting for same spec OD 28th June. I’m hoping there is a shipment of blue coming.
They haven’t confirmed no - but I see a VIN in source, so don’t really need them to confirm it.

They told me “your delivery estimate date is currently the 25th November”

But this hasn’t been confirmed by an official text. Nor does it show on my app (still shows my EDD on signature)

Also just had the text, collecting 9th December...still haven't had my trade in valuation yet though 🙄
I dropped trading in to sell mine online via motorway co uk. Someone at work has used them and they sound decent. It's claiming I'll get 4k more for my car instead of Tesla trade-in. I'll know more about it in a couple of weeks. Need to get the plate onto retention certificate and get a new V5 before I can sell it.

Have you just screwed the plate to the bumper using the existing holes then or have you stuck standard plates on? I'm curious as to (legal) options that don't include the standard holders.
The front holder is in two pieces. Kept the section that screws into the bumper but got rid of the front section that holds the plate, and just taped the plate directly to bit attached to the car. As the plate is bigger than the holder you get rid of the ugly border.

Like this:
Rear Number Plate De-frame

This video is interesting, with a police officer explaining the rules around number plates -
Rules on number plates
Stick on plates is at 6:45

They say if a car is designed to have sick on plates, then it’s legal.

My understanding from it was if you can clearly read the plate it’s ok - and as the model 3 and Y have a nice flat area where the plate goes, I’m probably going to give it a go.

Had to cancel my order and re-order today due to issues getting finance. So if anyone ordered a MYLR MSM 20”s White Interior and Tow Hitch - you may be getting your car earlier 👍
Unlucky dude. I hope you get that resolved soon. There's more than just Experian to check. Equifax for one.
Be careful not to sign up for the monthly subscription. They make the £1 credit file links harder to find to get more people snared in the subscription.