Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2023.44

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had the Lane Departure warning pop up and stay up for extended periods since the 44.x updates. All of the cameras appear to be working correctly from what I can see.
Since 44.x when it is raining I get almost continuous warnings about lane departure and park assist unavailability (& yesterday a 'front fender camera unavailable' that I've never seen before or since). Regardless of this, the car appears to be driving more smoothly on Autopilot than at any time I can recall and everything else is working just fine.

Vision parking still appears to be surprisingly accurate every time I leave the car compared to what was on screen. I'm actually getting to like this as so far there hasn't been a single instance where it has been closer to anything else than the images show, it's usually fractionally further away. Also the top-down 'straightness' of the car relative to everything around it is spot on and this is very helpful.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
Yup AP has been very smooth for me. The steering wheel nags seem much less too, even though I haven’t changed how I’m holding the wheel.

A lot of people have moaned about this update, particularly the nagging. I’ve seen a thread on the FB groups about one guy who has had 5 strikes and been put in AP jail already. Just goes to show it’s hard to grasp just how reckless some people are being with these cars whilst on AP (in my opinion of course).

Bit off topic but I wish AP would drive more like an IAM practitioner - taking the optimum line on bends in the road to maximise visibility, but that doesn’t seem like it will ever happen. AP drives too centrally for my liking (particularly with the recent flooding) but it’s a minor gripe in the grand scheme of things.

taking the optimum line on bends in the road to maximise visibility,

Devil's advocate: It may have that visibility (from lane-central position), and avoids putting you in middle of road, and in the potholes on crest of the bend ...

Obviously you humans :) can avoid those pitfalls, case-by-case basis, when adopting "optimum line".

AP drives too centrally for my liking

I read recently that VW ID7 will adjust lane-position if you "push" against AP-steering, which seemed quite cool, but I now wonder if that will mean that when I come off motorway and (whatever VW called "AP") is driving on minor roads will it then be "dangerously" to the side of the narrower lane? Always pros-and-cons with "clever software" :(

Bit off topic but I wish AP would drive more like an IAM practitioner - taking the optimum line on bends in the road to maximise visibility, but that doesn’t seem like it will ever happen. AP drives too centrally for my liking (particularly with the recent flooding) but it’s a minor gripe in the grand scheme of things.
One could imagine that V12 FSD will adopt a more natural road positioning if the learning data set has those IAM lines dominant.

Yup AP has been very smooth for me. The steering wheel nags seem much less too, even though I haven’t changed how I’m holding the wheel.

A lot of people have moaned about this update, particularly the nagging. I’ve seen a thread on the FB groups about one guy who has had 5 strikes and been put in AP jail already. Just goes to show it’s hard to grasp just how reckless some people are being with these cars whilst on AP (in my opinion of course).

As we've perhaps all seen the accuracy of vision based systems varies greatly e.g. roads, weather it seems pretty likely to me that the new thing that is monitoring your eyes is going to be different for people with different faces. I don't believe for a minute that this is going to be somehow a miracle of AI that is going to work for people.

Maybe you look more like a Californian than this person, I wouldn't be so quick to judge.

Reactions: Durzel
I've been seeing the lane departure warning after last update. Bizarrely it seems to pop up when I am leaving my driveway (probably because the car has just started) but also on returning to driveway after a trip out. No idea why. Probably just coincidence.

Think it's worth raising a service request?
Mine has been in and out of service a few times and it usually comes back with a different problem than it went in for so I'm reluctant to raise another service request. Apart from the lane departure message the car is behaving so well that I'm tempted to take it off the home wifi and reject any future updates!

Just did a proper drive with 30.5.1. I had a bike rack and bikes attached with Trailer Mode active. Some observations:

I think there's a bug with AP visualisations and Trailer Mode in this update, because it sometimes thinks there's a car behind me when it's actually my bikes. The rear USS's are still disabled so I'm not getting annoying bongs, but I'm apparently being tailgated every so often. Only happened on the motorway but didn't happen in previous versions at all for me.

I'm getting the constant lane departure disabled warnings. I initially put it down to my bikes obscuring the view of the camera but it looks like others are getting that too.

Wipers were shockingly bad, as usual.

Speed camera warnings are so inconspicuous I sometimes miss them. They also disappear right before I get to them, which is a bit annoying. I thought this would be the reason I kept PC, but it's just not useful. I find myself staring at the map constantly to check for the warnings.

Couldn't test Autosteer as it is disabled with Trailer Mode.

So since the latest update, my drivers side wing mirror intermittently does not fold out when I open the car nor does the mirror dip when going into reverse, on the flip side of that when it does eventually dip, it doesn't return to the driving position. Also sentry mode doesn't record any footage even when I've re-formatted the pen drive. Also when I arrive home, my wing mirrors randomly fold!!

The addition of Podcasts and Apple music is good though.

So since the latest update, my drivers side wing mirror intermittently does not fold out when I open the car nor does the mirror dip when going into reverse, on the flip side of that when it does eventually dip, it doesn't return to the driving position. Also sentry mode doesn't record any footage even when I've re-formatted the pen drive. Also when I arrive home, my wing mirrors randomly fold!!

The addition of Podcasts and Apple music is good though.
What specific release?
No other reports

We had a mirror dip issue the first drive after an update several years back. I always do an additional reboot after an install as a matter of course but this time still had an issue. After drive, did another reboot and all was good. Don’t know what fixed it, but give an additional reboot a try and if it doesn’t fix it, it’s possibly more of an issue. Otherwise it’s probably one of those things that happens after a firmware update.

We had a mirror dip issue the first drive after an update several years back. I always do an additional reboot after an install as a matter of course but this time still had an issue. After drive, did another reboot and all was good. Don’t know what fixed it, but give an additional reboot a try and if it doesn’t fix it, it’s possibly more of an issue. Otherwise it’s probably one of those things that happens after a firmware update.
Doesn't it reboot automatically after a software update anyway?

Had a weird issue yesterday. Drove for an hour, popped into somewhere to collect something and when I got back in the car it wouldn’t adjust the seat/wheel back to how it was on the drive there. Tried every profile and nothing, easy entry had seemingly been applied to them all. Had to pull to a side street to adjust my profile back to something comfortable and reconfigure settings like Joe mode and auto indicator cancel.

My issue yesterday was the charge port flap would open and close immediately hence unable to charge (at home). Tried a reboot and even pulled the manual unlatch a few times to no avail... Put in a service ticked, about an hour later tried again and it was fine and cancelled the ticket.

I posted a few days back that I had an issue where my driver’s mirror would tilt outwards but not upwards to the correct position when setting my profile. Selecting my profile manually would move the mirror into the correct position. This was fixed with the Christmas update, however the issue has unfortunately reappeared over the past couple of days. In my case, I‘m convinced this is not a hardware issue as it is 100% reproducible and selecting the profile manually always puts the mirror in the correct position. I’ll try a reboot and see if it fixes it, again…