Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2024.8.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got another update this morning.. went for a nice long drive. I had the worst case of phantom braking I've ever had in 4 years.. 70mph, clear road, it slammed the brakes on. If I hadn't been wearing a seatbelt I'd have gone through the windscreen. I don't think the guy behind me was very impressed either.

On the plus side they seem to have tweaked the matrix/ahb behaviour.. as it went dark the lights came on but the ahb stayed off as I was driving through lit areas, even though I went through the same areas where it randomly switched on and off in my last journey.

Wipers definitely gotten worse a few updates ago. Same stretch of road I have driven on dozens of times in different time of day, bone dry weather, and wipers will come on. Clean windscreen glass, no shade from trees, still wiping every couple of minutes on some days. Never done this before.

Reactions: nufan and init6
Got another update this morning.. went for a nice long drive. I had the worst case of phantom braking I've ever had in 4 years.. 70mph, clear road, it slammed the brakes on. If I hadn't been wearing a seatbelt I'd have gone through the windscreen. I don't think the guy behind me was very impressed either.

On the plus side they seem to have tweaked the matrix/ahb behaviour.. as it went dark the lights came on but the ahb stayed off as I was driving through lit areas, even though I went through the same areas where it randomly switched on and off in my last journey.
I have noticed this.. they came on only once in a lit area so its not done by lamp post detection; must be ambient light levels as it was a darker lit road however was in a 30mph housing estate with lamp posts

Wipers definitely gotten worse a few updates ago. Same stretch of road I have driven on dozens of times in different time of day, bone dry weather, and wipers will come on. Clean windscreen glass, no shade from trees, still wiping every couple of minutes on some days. Never done this before.
They only train it on California rain which is why it doesn't work properly here.

Finally 2024.8.7 is installing. Too late though as just had a nighttime drive so might not get to test it now for a few days.

Reactions: Alwayshopeful
Noticed yesterday that the check for software update sat at the “checking for” prompt for ages last night which suggested to me the update would be available imminently, sure enough I’ve checked the app this morning and the 2024.8.7 is available. Remotely installing it now. Might have an opportunity to check the adaptive high beams this evening.

I remember the early days of hobby PC building, with component fairs and MS windows being constantly up-dated, can’t help being reminded of those times with constant waits and hopes for that next patch to get a feature addition or fix!

Reactions: FastLaneJB
Noticed yesterday that the check for software update sat at the “checking for” prompt for ages last night which suggested to me the update would be available imminently, sure enough I’ve checked the app this morning and the 2024.8.7 is available. Remotely installing it now. Might have an opportunity to check the adaptive high beams this evening.

I remember the early days of hobby PC building, with component fairs and MS windows being constantly up-dated, can’t help being reminded of those times with constant waits and hopes for that next patch to get a feature addition or fix!
And just wait until we all have Tesla, Nvidia, OpenAI, Apple(?) robots…

There’s a saying that a stopped clock is right twice a day, I think with the wipers, a random wipe will sometimes be at the right time, doesn’t mean it’s fixed.

Anyway.. 2024.8.7 arrived whilst I was in the pub last night so I’ll be giving it a go today. 2022 MY without EAP or FSD so I guess it’s luck of the draw now when you get it

Reactions: Skie and Durzel

Last night i had the "checking for update" prompt which has always meant an update would be available, this morning, "you vehicles software is up to date" so frustrating!!!

Last night i had the "checking for update" prompt which has always meant an update would be available, this morning, "you vehicles software is up to date" so frustrating!!!
Funnily enough mine seemed stuck in a “checking for update” loop last night.

Maybe IT issues at the Tesla end I suspect. Must be using a lot of server capacity to roll FSD V12 to the entire N American fleet.

Reactions: Obie
I got my update last night.

Went for a drive and was impressed with the lights, it does seem the low beam headlights position has changed (I manually changed mine to be a touch lower to stop blinding people) so I may change them again if I notice it starts to blind people.

As for the controversial topic on wipers and the dry wipes.
I have a suspicion (it’s only a theory at the moment, I will try and test this as best as I can) that dry wipes are caused by Hydrophloric products (like rain-x) from Car wash’s.

When light hits the windscreen, we cannot see it from a naked eye, but maybe a camera lens can which has a certain “sheen” effect on the windscreen which is causing wipers to behave abnormally.

My theory is based on when my car is dirty after a couple weeks, the wipers are better - because the protective sheen has worn off due to the elements. When the car has been washed and products have been used, I’ve noticed the wipers are more reactive to nothing or slight rain.

Like I said - just a theory, but I’ll do some tests to find out.

Lighting, headlights/brakelights, spray volume, cleanliness of glass will all be variables. Camera based rain detection is hard because there are so many variables.
If only there was an easy and cheap sensor you could use that would reliably detect rain.

Taking away the sensor before you could get camera based detection was a real shoot yourself in the foot moment.

Reactions: M1tch and Skie