Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2024.8.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve just had a little drive in France and it isn’t doing the same over here. On the trip to Folkestone it told me to stay on the motorway for pretty much (or all?) junctions but in France it told me I had 40km, or whatever it was, to my exit and there were plenty of exits on the way to mine that it didn’t tell me to avoid.

Maybe software only works as I’d like it when you drive the car on the right side of the road. 🤔

Sample size of 40miles in France, so far from extensive testing but it’s been irritating me for a while in UK.
Other cars do the same here I've noticed also. I think as you are suggesting, it's something to do with the mapping data they are using vs the car being programmed wrong.

It's like when you are driving on some B road and then it tells you to turn right when actually it's just the B road bends to the right anyway so you are just staying on the road.

Reactions: diddy84
Other cars do the same here I've noticed also. I think as you are suggesting, it's something to do with the mapping data they are using vs the car being programmed wrong.

It's like when you are driving on some B road and then it tells you to turn right when actually it's just the B road bends to the right anyway so you are just staying on the road.
Yeah my 20 plate volvo xc40 did this and was so annoying. I always muted until I knew I'd need it.

Interesting, I never had this (or an issue) when I had my previous Model 3 back in 2021-22. Well, not that I remember... Possibly was seen as "always running" as I had the widget though ?
If I force close the app the Bluetooth connections drop and I cannot open the door until I restart the app on my 2021 M3. I purposely do this all the time when I’m not going to use the car to avoid noticeably higher battery drain on my iPhone if I leave it running in the background.

I imagine the widget would be keeping it alive in your case.

Reactions: Oxid8ter
I'd say Android is very much a mixed bag depending on which brand you get because in that space, it's very different from company to company.

Don’t kill my app!
Yeah I appreciate that, but at that point in time I had an iPhone. My assumption being that I never had issues as I had the widget on my home screen on that iPhone.

It's likely the same with my Pixel that I have now, I don't need the "full app" running in the background as I have the widget on my home screen.

Reactions: FastLaneJB
I always have the Tesla app closed because I don't like accidentally switching to it when the car is asleep and waking it up. Seems to make no difference at all to unlocking & opening the door with it, etc.
This is where Tessie app wins (as well as doing its other tricks). By default it doesn't wake the car unless you tell it to, so you avoid accidental wakening.

Reactions: Durzel
So what do you have to do to keep the car on the M6toll. I am going that side tomorrow as want to go quickly and avoid traffic on M6

The signage is very clear so if you've already decided you want to take the M6 Toll (which I'd recommend) then just follow the road signs. I just find it annoying that the voice guidance is non-existant at these junctions. I mean I know which way I'm planning to go, but the whole point of the satnav is that it can reroute if there are issues. So it would be helpful if it would actually tell me which way it wants to send me. (That said, in reality, I really can't remember ever having any major holdups on the M6 Toll.)

Notes on toll payment if you haven't used it recently (or ever):

1. All the toll booths are unstaffed (although there is a call button for assistance). Been that way for as long as I can remember.
2. As of a few years ago they no longer take cash. It's all card only these days.
3. Historically the card readers at the toll booths didn't accept Apple Pay or Google Pay, but I understand that has now been resolved as part of the upgrades in the last couple of months.

Everything - junctions and payment - is clearly marked, so I don't anticipate you'll have any problems.

Last edited:
The signage is very clear so if you've already decided you want to take the M6 Toll (which I'd recommend) then just follow the road signs. I just find it annoying that the voice guidance is non-existant at these junctions. I mean I know which way I'm planning to go, but the whole point of the satnav is that it can reroute if there are issues. So it would be helpful if it would actually tell me which way it wants to send me. (That said, in reality, I really can't remember ever having any major holdups on the M6 Toll.)

Notes on toll payment if you haven't used it recently (or ever):

1. All the toll booths are unstaffed (although there is a call button for assistance). Been that way for as long as I can remember.
2. As of a few years ago they no longer take cash. It's all card only these days.
3. Historically the card readers at the toll booths didn't accept Apple Pay or Google Pay, but I understand that has now been resolved as part of the upgrades in the last couple of months.

Everything - junctions and payment - is clearly marked, so I don't anticipate you'll have any problems.
For some reason my car always has a great spike of consumption just after the toll booths for about a mile, I wonder what that could be :)

M6toll. I am going that side tomorrow as want to go quickly and avoid traffic on M6
In the morning when I tried to set up navigation keele SC is out of order - I am sure I can do at the Trafford centre but heard some stories about that being busy and taxis occupying it all the time. Is there anything on return from Manchester if keele is taken out with around 40% SoC. I am looking for Tesla SCs. I can check ABRP but that keeps including keele SC. Any locals aware of other SCs from Manchester to Cambridge, I am taking M6 on my return.

Updated to 2024.8.9 this morning. Bloody annoying that phone key stopped working
Same for me on two different phones as of this morning, first drive on 2024.8.9. Toggling bluetooth off/on doesn't help, nor does power cycling the phone or reinstalling the app. The phones show as connected on the cars screen and you can lock/unlock by pressing the button on the phone app itself, which unlocked the car, so the BT connection is there but still have to tap the key card to start the car, very annoying

In the morning when I tried to set up navigation keele SC is out of order - I am sure I can do at the Trafford centre but heard some stories about that being busy and taxis occupying it all the time. Is there anything on return from Manchester if keele is taken out with around 40% SoC. I am looking for Tesla SCs. I can check ABRP but that keeps including keele SC. Any locals aware of other SCs from Manchester to Cambridge, I am taking M6 on my return.
Assuming you are going a14 / M6 / M6T i would be tempted to pop in to Rugby northbound to extend rage so you can make it there on the way back too... has 28-30ish chargers so easy to get a charge...

Reactions: Roy B and spdpsba