Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stopped at Keele Southbound yesterday lunchtime. All 4 in use and a car in front of us waiting. First time I've waited more than a tiny amount of time and bad luck I wasn't on my own.

A nice tesla owner gave us the code to cross to northbound but my law abiding other half wasn't up for it, so that's our fault, but it does occur to me looking at the map that this is a pretty critical charging point that could do with more than 4 stalls. Anyone heading M6-M5, which I assume is a common long distance route, has to charge there unless they've enough to get to Cribbs/Gordano.

Or would Monday lunchtime be considered a busy time? I'd have thought not.

Not helped by someone charging at one of those stalls for what I now see on TeslaFi was a 45 minute wait plus 26 minutes charge. Anyone been at a supercharger for 1 hour and 10? In fact, thinking about it, that means 3 of the 4 cars that were there when we arrived were on charge for over 45 minutes. That seems like a fair bit of sitting around slow charging on a high SoC when there's a queue...

I wondered whether tesla could release some guidance to educate folk but that would be pretty negative on the marketing front so I'm not surprised they don't.

In fact, thinking about it, that means 3 of the 4 cars that were there when we arrived were on charge for over 45 minutes. That seems like a fair bit of sitting around slow charging on a high SoC when there's a queue...

I wondered whether tesla could release some guidance to educate folk but that would be pretty negative on the marketing front so I'm not surprised they don't.
I went from 30-78% (36kWh added) in 34 minutes on a paired charge so 45 minutes doesn't seem crazy if they turned up at roughly the same time

Reactions: ringi and Roy W.
Stopped at Keele Southbound yesterday lunchtime. All 4 in use and a car in front of us waiting. First time I've waited more than a tiny amount of time and bad luck I wasn't on my own.

A nice tesla owner gave us the code to cross to northbound but my law abiding other half wasn't up for it, so that's our fault, but it does occur to me looking at the map that this is a pretty critical charging point that could do with more than 4 stalls. Anyone heading M6-M5, which I assume is a common long distance route, has to charge there unless they've enough to get to Cribbs/Gordano.

Or would Monday lunchtime be considered a busy time? I'd have thought not.

Not helped by someone charging at one of those stalls for what I now see on TeslaFi was a 45 minute wait plus 26 minutes charge. Anyone been at a supercharger for 1 hour and 10? In fact, thinking about it, that means 3 of the 4 cars that were there when we arrived were on charge for over 45 minutes. That seems like a fair bit of sitting around slow charging on a high SoC when there's a queue...

I might have been one of the 4, started charging 12.39 for 45 minutes. I had to wait as all chargers were occupied and a MS waiting before me. He was saying it was one of the first Supercharger locations hence not many chargers. I do think it needs upgrading now though as it won't be enough with the number of cars being delivered.

• Love
Reactions: Roy W.
Not helped by someone charging at one of those stalls for what I now see on TeslaFi was a 45 minute wait plus 26 minutes charge. Anyone been at a supercharger for 1 hour and 10?

If the car was paired for half that time then it might represent a fairly normal charge? I've got a nagging doubt that is the likely scenario though ...

Tesla have instigated 80% max charge at busy sites in USA, that would help. I suppose too complicated to implement that "when site is busy" in terms of being able to usefully tell someone, after they started charging, that their charge has become restricted to 80% and they need to return to their car ... and actually manage to get folk to do that.

Perhaps another way is to detect that cars are waiting / parked nearby, on low SOC and/or SatNav destination set for that location - so likely to be waiting for charge - and to Notify owners charging that people are waiting and to return to their vehicles promptly. I have free Supercharging so don't always rush to move on once the car has reached suitable SOC, but I would if I knew that all stalls were full.

Are you sure? Post #829 above seems to refute that re Charnock Richard.
And the checkin on Zap-Map at 20 Oct at 1:33 PM seems to confirm Dartford (aka Bluewater) too.

My faulty memory, sorry; Crowd Source data referring to it as Chorley threw me

Crowd Sourced data now adjusted for those, still showing Membury Services Westbound, UK as outstanding but those are done:

Oct 9, 2019 all Westbound Membury stalls are CCS enabled.

so looks like all UK CCS stalls are now converted :)

Tesla have instigated 80% max charge at busy sites in USA, that would help. I suppose too complicated to implement that "when site is busy" in terms of being able to usefully tell someone, after they started charging, that their charge has become restricted to 80% and they need to return to their car ... and actually manage to get folk to do that.

Have they actually restricted the charge to 80%? I thought it was just a notification/advisory and you could over ride it by using the slider. I'd be pretty peeved if I needed more than 80% if they capped me.

Have they actually restricted the charge to 80%? I thought it was just a notification/advisory and you could over ride it by using the slider. I'd be pretty peeved if I needed more than 80% if they capped me.

Mine has set the limit down to 80% on arrival at a busy one but it leaves me the option to override it manually. I thought that was same as USA?

Reactions: ringi
I have been caught twice in the UK at Brent Cross and South Mymms with the idle charge only charging to 80% having set my limit to 100% before i arrived. As nowhere in the UK is this charge highlighted I have complained to Tesla.

So you set it to 100%, Tesla adjusted to 80% and you didn't notice and charging stopped at 80% with idle fees accruing thereafter?

I thought it was just a notification/advisory and you could over ride it by using the slider.

I may have mixed this up with maximum charging times which I have also heard of. I have read that [you can override the enforced 80% on dashboard or APP] and that if the SatNav has scheduled a stop, on a trip, that needs more juice then that also overrides.

No first hand experience of any of these.

2019.05-tesla-supercharging-cap-update-1.png

sXzS6wTLIRPeQF3joWMoGuA_uW2oXOURX0E72t7x3Wo.jpg

6dbk65dtny321.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: DJP31
I've had the on-screen 80% default popup, and also the phone app notifies you when there's 10 minutes to go and again when the charging has stopped.

the 80% shows in the app too (by way of the normal charge target line on the charging screen), and can be overridden in the car or in the app remotely.

If you missed the phone app notifications, on an iPhone suggest you set the tesla app notifications to be persistent rather than temporary, and to show full text even when the phone is locked (so those you're with can read it too)

E6A5421A-0E3F-462F-89B0-B7F85F957DAF.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: freekie
I quite often see 80% limits on SuC here in UK. But it is adjustable. I often travel in peak times, hence the reason.

I’ve never seen in UK the hard 80% limit.

They really do need a smarter UI with stall suggestions based on other’s SoC and charge rate. They already have the data, I’d imagine it wouldn’t take much to push it to cars that have the SuC set in their Nav, with stall suggestions. They already show partially live in-use stall data on the map. Also number of cars waiting as an app notification would be great (using car’s live location and Nav waypoint).

Also educating drivers by Tesla (again in UI) regarding charge speed at higher SoC, would be helpful.

Reactions: NorfolkMustard
They really do need a smarter UI with stall suggestions based on other’s SoC and charge rate. They already have the data, I’d imagine it wouldn’t take much to push it to cars that have the SuC set in their Nav, with stall suggestions. They already show partially live in-use stall data on the map.

Their data doesn't know when that car's going to leave though, so their recommendation could easily prove wrong, couldn't it? You share a pair with a car that's charging slowly at high SoC, but then because it's got to that point its owner is more likely to head off, to be replaced by a new arrival at 20% that tesla don't know about yet.

Their data doesn't know when that car's going to leave though, so their recommendation could easily prove wrong, couldn't it? You share a pair with a car that's charging slowly at high SoC, but then because it's got to that point its owner is more likely to head off, to be replaced by a new arrival at 20% that tesla don't know about yet.
True, but they could guesstimate using the set charge limit by the driver and the required charge on the nav’s next waypoint.

Even if they suggest a stall next to the car with the highest SoC as they’re the most likely to be nearly finished.

Or even a UI pop up/app notification to ask duration or SoC is required, which can then be relayed on..

If a random car turns up to the SuC without setting it in Nav first, then they lose out on stall suggestions.

It doesn’t have to be over complicated. All better solutions than just turning up, rolling a dice to see who’s looking to move on next. Which is what is currently happening, on a frequent basis in UK at peak times.

Reactions: ringi and Cogarch