Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Marker is not in the town centre, nor a road junction - it's in a public carpark close to the M3/A12 junction. Real or fluke?

Definitely on to something, the M2/M3/A12 junction is probably the busiest in Northern Ireland and access on or off these roads to this area is very easy. I was expecting it at the SC at first but after looking at the NIE network capacity map it looks like there's a lack of capacity at the SC location but this pin is as close as you could get to a main substation that looks to have plenty of capacity.

Reading site on the A33 is going to be the Brunel Retail Park at Rose Kiln Lane if I understand correctly. As it’s a retail park I’ve been investigating other parks owned by the same company as it seems logical that this might be a company-wide decision to add Superchargers. I’ll update with a list of their sites when I have it.

Attachments

• A47EF322-61F3-4DA8-8B6A-EDF9C257BE22.jpeg
    A47EF322-61F3-4DA8-8B6A-EDF9C257BE22.jpeg
    817.1 KB · Views: 272
  • Informative
Reactions: CMc1 and arg
Reading site on the A33 is going to be the Brunel Retail Park at Rose Kiln Lane if I understand correctly. As it’s a retail park I’ve been investigating other parks owned by the same company as it seems logical that this might be a company-wide decision to add Superchargers. I’ll update with a list of their sites when I have it.
Reading Service centre is going to be located right next to the retail park so could be that. (Plans submitted in November, but not sure it’s been spotted yet..) only destination chargers on the plans. However the signage plans state the lettering for “vehicle charging” “to be confirmed” possibly indicating this may change to “Superchargers”. Also electrical substations have been highlighted on the plans.

Plan ID 201609

Ignore all that. “Preferred “SuC location” is on plans! Confirmed I’d say

upload_2021-1-7_11-38-7.jpeg

upload_2021-1-7_11-38-25.jpeg

Last edited:
Reading Service centre is going to be located right next to the retail park so could be that. (Plans submitted in November, but not sure it’s been spotted yet..) only destination chargers on the plans. However the signage plans state the lettering for “vehicle charging” “to be confirmed” possibly indicating this may change to “Superchargers”. Also electrical substations have been highlighted on the plans.

Plan ID 201609

View attachment 625261
View attachment 625262
Great stuff. That makes sense.

Looks like Tesla have sneaked in a couple more updates to their map...
Good news regarding Builth Wells - it's back, although target opening not until 2022.
A new pin has also been added for Newquay (target opening Q3 2021). Could be linked to rumours of something happening at Trevissome Park?

Edinburgh Newbridge has also been added. Banbury is now on the listing but for some reason (on my web browser, at least) it has an invisible pin. Banbury Supercharger | Tesla UK
Royal Victoria Docks hasn't been removed... yet.

2021-01-07 Tesla.com updates.png

I know of one site where there was active and advanced discussion between Tesla and the owners in the Newquay area but have been specifically asked to not mention it as it wasn’t finalised and speculation/gossip could damage progress. I’ll ask if I’m allowed to say something yet.

Reactions: cezdoc

Plan ID 201609

View attachment 625261
View attachment 625262
The little building at the north of the site by the proposed area for Superchargers seems of little use unless it might be converted for a rest-area/coffee shop. It has toilets etc already, and would help as there aren’t many coffee options nearby.
As far as I can see 16 bays would fit ok in town straight banks of 8, but if they were willing to go around the building it could be 20 or 24.

Attachments

• 73338442-C2B4-4281-A7D0-901E16AAB9B5.jpeg
    73338442-C2B4-4281-A7D0-901E16AAB9B5.jpeg
    115.4 KB · Views: 67
Do any longtimers here know what the hit rate of proposed vs realised SuC stations is?

I'm looking lustfully at the King's Lynn one slated for Q3 2021 but note that many other 'late 2020' ones are, er, pushing it a bit to make that date :)
Tesla's latest map updates are a bit different to previous iterations - more of the locations look quite specific and they haven't stated quarterly target opening dates until now. Q3 2021 is better than 2022 and the King's Lynn pin is close to a retail park so there is plenty to be hopeful about. Gridserve also have a planning application for a charging hub in Norwich that will likely include 8 Supercharger bays.

In terms of track record, it can take years (I think my local, Aberdeen, had a pin in ~2016 which disappeared, then reappeared in June 2019, and became reality last month). On the other hand plenty of sites with no nearby pin have popped up without warning (e.g. Banbury). In terms of hit rate Tesla have steadily added new sites and increased site capacity but when you narrow it down to specific areas it can be very hit-or-miss (so far miss in the case of mid Wales, east Yorkshire, anywhere north of Elveden...).

There’s also only one mention of Reading on Tesla site, yet two planning permissions. (Moto Services and a proposed Service centre)
Recruitment for staff for the Reading Service Centre has begun so I’d say the Reading pin refers to that, and either the M4 services project has been lumped in with that pin for now, shelved, or just missed from the map and we might see it again soon.

Last edited:
Another further down near St Ives, Marizion or Helston would be great for people visiting on holiday.
The Newquay one will likely cover the rest of Cornwall as anyone arriving can ensure they pass it on the way, then destination charging or public charging will maintain them for the rest of their time there. St Ives is only 36 miles on from the Newquay SuC so very close to expect them to prioritise another.
There’s a dozen or so rapids already and more will be built.

Attachments

• 4B6CCC08-CEF7-4FC9-BB99-8E3040777BF3.jpeg
    4B6CCC08-CEF7-4FC9-BB99-8E3040777BF3.jpeg
    260.4 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Reactions: squarepeg77
The proposed supercharger sites at Ferndown, Plymouth, Hull, Liverpool, Dublin Sandyford and Cork cover all major car ferry terminals, which would be fantastic progress for the network.

Only one major car ferry terminal in UK + Ireland appears to be missing from my knowledge, which is Rosslare (South East corner of Ireland).