Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was a Gridserve site towards Hartlepool, details are here
Don't forget, there's always the MFG site at Woolviston on the A19/A689, when it eventually opens!
yes, correct! it shows 4 stalls.

there is also Instavolt at the Starbucks shouthbound on A168, near Thirsk

but still very limited between Middlesbrough and M1 and Ferrybridge (wetherby services only there)

Has any Tesla source actually described this as V4?

Sites like Elektrek are keen to shout out "V(n+1)" when they see so much as a change in the fixing hardware, but Tesla has used V1/V2/V3 to apply to cabinet generations and has not referred to the different stall designs (of which there have been at least 7 I can think of off-hand) with version numbers.
At Investor Day the Head of SuperCharging said they were starting to install the first V4 SuperChargers in Europe and they will have a longer cable to support other brands of car better. People are therefore assuming that these are v4.

I haven't heard anyone from Tesla say anything about 1000V, certainly wasn't mentioned at Investor Day.

• Informative
Reactions: arg
At Investor Day the Head of SuperCharging said they were starting to install the first V4 SuperChargers in Europe and they will have a longer cable to support other brands of car better. People are therefore assuming that these are v4.

I haven't heard anyone from Tesla say anything about 1000V, certainly wasn't mentioned at Investor Day.
I mentioned that above but I may have imagined it :). However it has been reported widely that they will be 350kw which the twitter picture was not. If you are catering to other brands like Porshe and Hyundai then 800v makes sense if you actively want to attract customers since they charge much faster at 800v. It also makes it future proof if Tesla ever plan to go down that route.
It may be that they planned to release the new cabinets with upgraded hardware but due to the issues the short cables cause on the sites that support other cars they have rolled out the form factor ahead of time without any other changes. A V3/V4 hybrid if you like.

I mentioned that above but I may have imagined it :). However it has been reported widely that they will be 350kw which the twitter picture was not. If you are catering to other brands like Porshe and Hyundai then 800v makes sense if you actively want to attract customers since they charge much faster at 800v. It also makes it future proof if Tesla ever plan to go down that route.
It may be that they planned to release the new cabinets with upgraded hardware but due to the issues the short cables cause on the sites that support other cars they have rolled out the form factor ahead of time without any other changes. A V3/V4 hybrid if you like.
The only original source for '350KW' is Elon in 2021, when he said

"With peace in mind, it is super easy… to keep increasing the power of Superchargers, you know, we're 250 kW, so obviously, we'll start going to 280, 300, 350 kW."

... which to me sounds like evolution of the V3 rather than anything new.

Since then it's all just been compounded speculation. I can't remotely imagine Tesla would deploy 800V charging until they have something that uses it, imagine suggesting that an Ionic charges faster at a SuperCharger than any Tesla.

Reactions: a4refillpad
I don’t think Tesla can realistically go much further than 250kw at 400v. They are the only manufacturer to go over 500A on their charger/battery architecture.

I’m pretty sure the max allowed under the CCS spec is 500A which probably explains why they are the only ones to do it.

Reactions: Sean.
The only original source for '350KW' is Elon in 2021, when he said

"With peace in mind, it is super easy… to keep increasing the power of Superchargers, you know, we're 250 kW, so obviously, we'll start going to 280, 300, 350 kW."

... which to me sounds like evolution of the V3 rather than anything new.

Since then it's all just been compounded speculation. I can't remotely imagine Tesla would deploy 800V charging until they have something that uses it, imagine suggesting that an Ionic charges faster at a SuperCharger than any Tesla.
If they’re going to push out 350 kW @ 500v that’s around 700A of current!!

That’s going to be ‘interesting’ if they don’t take a step up in voltage.

Reactions: Jason71
Personally I feel the ability of the chargers to maintain their maximum output even at peak times is more important than the headline rate. For example, couple of charges I've done at the "250Kw" Ferrybridge have stuck at about 80-90KW, when all the bays were full, whilst a similar charge at Scots Corner "120KW" chargers when quiet have meant the car actually got it's charge much faster. So I'd be as happy if they opened new sites with 24 x 120kw chargers which didn't slow down, rather than 12 x 250Kw chargers which did.

Personally I feel the ability of the chargers to maintain their maximum output even at peak times is more important than the headline rate. For example, couple of charges I've done at the "250Kw" Ferrybridge have stuck at about 80-90KW, when all the bays were full, whilst a similar charge at Scots Corner "120KW" chargers when quiet have meant the car actually got it's charge much faster. So I'd be as happy if they opened new sites with 24 x 120kw chargers which didn't slow down, rather than 12 x 250Kw chargers which did.
it slows down due to car on V3, not due to charger

So I'd be as happy if they opened new sites with 24 x 120kw chargers which didn't slow down, rather than 12 x 250Kw chargers which did.
That's not an equal comparison with current equipment. It's closer to 8 or 9 chargers that don't slow down. If you wanted 24 chargers that could deliver 120kW without slowing down, then that would need about 8 V3 supercharger cabinets and a power supply to match.

If your point is that you'd rather not exceed 120kW even when the equipment has spare capacity, then that's a reasonable viewpoint (there's an argument that 250kW is too fast, doesn't allow you time to eat a meal), but would only offer marginal savings to Tesla.

The V3 rating plate shown in a tweet a few posts upthread has a Nov 2022 manufacturing date, and differs slightly from the 2019 version I'd seen previously; the input current/power has been slightly uprated (was max 430A for a max power 350kVA@480V, now max 465A and max power 387kVA), but all other details (including the output at 631A max, 0-500V, 250kW max) are the same.

We don't know the efficiency, but that's an input of only 387/4 = 96.75kW per stall; if you are actually getting precisely 90kW each with all stalls in use that would be 93% efficiency, better than the 91.5% claimed for V2.

V3 is a win over V2 mainly for finer-grain sharing (and sharing over larger groups of stalls) - the actual available power per stall is not that much greater.

The 250kW capability is a slight win for capacity in the sense that more power can be drawn from the supply overall - the early-arrivals get their charging at a higher rate and so are done and gone by the time the peak arrives, rather than adding to that peak.

Reactions: Simonsquiff
My best yet, loaner Model 3! Wish our S could do this! Rugby Services!
IMG_20230301_061739 (002).jpg

Merry Hill chargers are in on Next car park with a coming soon sign and covers over them
That's interesting to hear - thanks for the report. I haven't seen it reported before despite it being a marker on Tesla's website with a now-overdue target date of Q4 2022. There's a planning application nearby at Port West retail park for a 12 stall supercharger so the assumption had been that was what the Tesla marker referred to.

Any info on number of stalls, or even better a picture of the covered stalls?

• Helpful
Reactions: CMc1
Great stuff!
For reference the planning applications are on the Winchester City Council website:
Northbound Reference: 22/02683/FUL
Southbound Reference: 22/02730/FUL
Looks like the applications were granted in February. Perversely, Tesla added "coming soon" markers for both in August last year but removed them from their map at the start of this year.
Let's hope these new Winchester sites don't fall to the same past fate as Fleet South!

I suggested Dalton Park on the official Tesla suggestion thing. Probably already has the power, and serves both directions.

Yeah, good shout. I did think of Dalton Park actually. Bit more off the A19 than the services but not by much, and would still be a good choice with all the shops/outlets there. Plus, as you say - would serve both directions.

Reactions: Marmaduke 1169