Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A bit more info now starting to come out about the V4's:

"A Tesla owner spotted the electric car specs of the charger, revealing a rated voltage of 1,000V and a rated current of 615A.
That would mean a total max power output of 600 kW. Of course, the top rated output is rarely something that is maintained or even achieved, but theoretically, that’s what the new Supercharger V4 can do"

• Funny
Reactions: Sean.
I wouldn’t get too excited. All it means is they have certified the tombstone up to 1000v which pretty much all charging providers to these days so they can share components across their range.

The tombstone is essentially just a dumb terminal. All the fun stuff happens in the charging stack contained in the white cabinets.

To achieve more power they need to be paired with a different charging stack.

"A Tesla owner spotted the electric car specs of the charger, revealing a rated voltage of 1,000V and a rated current of 615A.
That would mean a total max power output of 600 kW. Of course, the top rated output is rarely something that is maintained or even achieved, but theoretically, that’s what the new Supercharger V4 can do"

That's actually a LOWER rating than Supercharger V3. Recent rating plates for the V3 cabinets show the per-stall output at 631A (greater than 615A). The voltage rating is irrelevant as the voltage is set by the car and no Tesla vehicles go above 500V.

The rating for the stall itself is just a matter of insulation strength etc. and it can easily be the case that the available voltage rating is higher than needed for the application at no extra cost (for example, if using CCS plugs off-the-shelf, they are likely to be 1000V rated for use with 800V cars, even if Tesla doesn't need that). 1000V rated supercharger stalls aren't new either - here's a rating plate from back in 2020 Ultimate/future max charge rate of V3 superchargers?

I wish Electrek would stop doing this - it's hard to spot when genuinely new info appears amid all these false "news" stories about things that aren't new.

Maybe Tesla has an intention to go above 1000V, but this doesn't really give any indication one way or the other, and isn't new given similar rated stalls have been around for years.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado and Sean.
A bit more info now starting to come out about the V4's:

This is very much a case of 1 + 1 make 11 (or 1000 x 600 = 600 kW).

Stick to the ‘journalism’ lads and leave the electrical engineering to the engineers 😅

That's actually a LOWER rating than Supercharger V3. Recent rating plates for the V3 cabinets show the per-stall output at 631A (greater than 615A). The voltage rating is irrelevant as the voltage is set by the car and no Tesla vehicles go above 500V.

The rating for the stall itself is just a matter of insulation strength etc. and it can easily be the case that the available voltage rating is higher than needed for the application at no extra cost (for example, if using CCS plugs off-the-shelf, they are likely to be 1000V rated for use with 800V cars, even if Tesla doesn't need that). 1000V rated supercharger stalls aren't new either - here's a rating plate from back in 2020 Ultimate/future max charge rate of V3 superchargers?

I wish Electrek would stop doing this - it's hard to spot when genuinely new info appears amid all these false "news" stories about things that aren't new.

Maybe Tesla has an intention to go above 1000V, but this doesn't really give any indication one way or the other, and isn't new given similar rated stalls have been around for years.

V3 supercharger cabinets have a DC post output rating of 631 amps, but the stalls themselves have a lower rating of 350 amps. Tesla pushes over 660 amps through them for brief periods of time, despite these lower ratings.

V4 posts will support up to 1,000 volts. From what I can tell, the charging cabinets are the same as V3. I think they’ve been 1kV capable this whole time - the rating stickers just reflect the 500 volt limit due to the V3 stalls they’ve been paired with. The V3 DC bus has always been rated at 1kV.

Here’s a good video explaining what’s going on with 800 volt cars at V3 superchargers.

From what I can tell, the charging cabinets are the same as V3. I think they’ve been 1kV capable this whole time - the rating stickers just reflect the 500 volt limit due to the V3 stalls they’ve been paired with.
The V3 input DC rating is 880-1000 VDC. Presumably this is the bus which they tie the V3 cabs together for dynamic power sharing.

However the post DC output is definitely only 0 to 500 VDC.

Here’s a rating plate from Chelmsford V3s. Cabs are a few years old:

9232F8F1-FE17-4111-AC08-0CF000F174E2.jpeg

Ratings are identical to the photo from Twitter of the rating plate from the cabs installed at Harderwijk with the V4 posts:

F1410B2A-5623-4E2F-8A9B-DC8150C30341.jpeg

V4 posts will support up to 1,000 volts. From what I can tell, the charging cabinets are the same as V3. I think they’ve been 1kV capable this whole time - the rating stickers just reflect the 500 volt limit due to the V3 stalls they’ve been paired with. The V3 DC bus has always been rated at 1kV.

Here’s a good video explaining what’s going on with 800 volt cars at V3 superchargers.

That video doesn't add any information about the superchargers (it does, as you say, give info about a good range of non-Tesla 800V cars).
There's really no information so far to say Tesla are supporting 1000V. The rating on the stalls was 1000V three years ago and is 1000V now. The V3 cabinets were 500V max at launch and 500V max now.

The V3 DC interconnect bus is stated as 880-1000V, so that has just enough headroom for a hypothetical V4 to give a 800V output and still interwork with V3 cabinets, but nothing anyone has reported points to such a device existing yet.

The V3 DC interconnect bus is stated as 880-1000V, so that has just enough headroom for a hypothetical V4 to give a 800V output and still interwork with V3 cabinets, but nothing anyone has reported points to such a device existing yet.
For universality for “800V” (and higher) battery architecture cars the charger output needs to really be up near 900 or 1000VDC.

Of the current crop of 350 kW capable units, the ABB Terra HPC’s run up to 920VDC and Alpitronic Hypercharger units run up to 1000VDC

F395DBC9-6F24-46D4-A90A-F88FB763C4F1.jpeg

BF1DF22D-F22A-4F5A-8BDB-4F7FDA3C692A.jpeg

Reactions: arg
-H revision for V4 at 387kva vs -D at 350kva for V3.

Also limiting V3 is the wiring from the white cabinets to the posts. In the US for V3 this is 350 kcmil while cabinet to cabinet is 600kcmil. For V4 (alternate) this is the same 600kcmil as the DC bus.
View attachment 918424
A jump in output voltage to 900/1000 VDC would give a proportional increase in output power without having to change the conductor cross section to the posts as the amperage wouldn’t need to increase - if anything it could go down, depending on the power output at the higher voltages.

Of course sticking to 500V means realistically upping the conductor size or adding more if they want more power out.

It just becomes a case of diminishing returns.

-H revision for V4 at 387kva vs -D at 350kva for V3.

It's really quite a stretch calling revision H of the same part number as V3 to be "V4". Maybe Tesla have indeed done so as a pure marketing move (and likely to the annoyance of engineering staff if so!), but I don't think even that is entirely confirmed. Is that @TeslaCharging twitter account actually a Tesla corporate one? The one quote all the news outlets are carrying is "Currently, V4 stalls are only open to Tesla vehicles, as we test and evaluate performance." which apparently came from the investor day presentation (I haven't watched it to check - there's no reference to V4 in the slide deck). Even "V4 stalls" doesn't make technical sense unless they are intended to accompany V4 cabinets that we haven't seen yet.

Also limiting V3 is the wiring from the white cabinets to the posts. In the US for V3 this is 350 kcmil while cabinet to cabinet is 600kcmil. For V4 (alternate) this is the same 600kcmil as the DC bus.

That is interesting info, but is "alternate" really tied to V4, or is it an alternative for longer runs/hotter climates/other site conditions that need them to have two options on their reference drawings?

It's really quite a stretch calling revision H of the same part number as V3 to be "V4". Maybe Tesla have indeed done so as a pure marketing move (and likely to the annoyance of engineering staff if so!), but I don't think even that is entirely confirmed. Is that @TeslaCharging twitter account actually a Tesla corporate one? The one quote all the news outlets are carrying is "Currently, V4 stalls are only open to Tesla vehicles, as we test and evaluate performance." which apparently came from the investor day presentation (I haven't watched it to check - there's no reference to V4 in the slide deck). Even "V4 stalls" doesn't make technical sense unless they are intended to accompany V4 cabinets that we haven't seen yet.

That is interesting info, but is "alternate" really tied to V4, or is it an alternative for longer runs/hotter climates/other site conditions that need them to have two options on their reference drawings?
-H would just be another iteration of the same cabinet. It’s not fundamentally any different to the -D revision I snapped. Perhaps a very minor increase in rated AC input power. Barely 10% different. All other key details are the same. Most importantly the output power of the unit is exactly the same.

In other words it’s the same box, just a bit newer.

Some folks are clutching at straws here.

Yes, it's Westbound, should have mentioned that! The works are exactly where the Google map link you posted indicates.
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but Leigh Delamere Westbound appears to be going live which is great news. Covers have come off the chargers and as I type I'm getting about 90 kW from one of them. Not showing on the map yet so no automatic battery heating.
IMG_20230317_135935.jpg