Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There was something like that mentioned a few months ago.. they said it was in development... at one of the large gatherings in Texas..I forget which one.
Flow control for Teslas.
Of course it relies on everyone planning their supercharging stops through the cars navigation.

I’m travelling south today with it scheduling a stop at Tebay. Should I try avoid there?
Its a random Tuesday so you might be OK. My advice would be to use the nav to find out how busy it is and have enough charge that you can move on if it is really bad so you are not stranded there in a big queue.
I probbaly should not say this but also maybe don't pre-heat. if there is a queue or you end up moving on that will be wasted energy.

Reactions: Kyogo
Exeter busy today, several Tesla stalls partly blocked with other EV’s forming an orderly queue to get into the Gridserve units which sit 90 degrees opposite.

3 Tesla SUC’s were clear when we arrived, all consecutive stalls, but couldn’t access them due to the queue. Fortunately there was another on the end we could take.

Great charge too.

Interesting to see all the non-Tesla’s utilising every available Gridserve bay. EV’s definitely on the up👍

Gotta love the supercharger network though.

Northampton Service Centre Supercharger also went live yesterday!

Used this on Saturday, Grange Park looked busy as always so just went here instead, all stalls available and faster too, only downside is its a 5min walk to Costa. I wonder if this site is too far from the M1 for people to consider it (3 miles if that)

Reactions: cezdoc
It’s not fleet south but I saw some images on Facebook of the Norwich service centre and all the tombstones are in with just the remaining ground works to complete. Switch on there could be imminent *if* all the DNO stuff is ready to go.
Here's a Twitter reference with a couple of pictures from 6th April. 12 stalls in the ground powered by charger 3 cabinets.

Last edited:
What do they do? Are they organising queues?
Yes - I was there on Friday just after two guys had turned up (around 11.00). They had hi viz Tesla jackets, a box of chocolate lollipops (for families in need of a pick-me-up) and a set of road cones, and they were trying to figure out how best to organise an orderly queue as new drivers arrived. Although they explained they were working it out as they went along they were coordinating with other Tebay staff who were managing the whole car park (it was quickly filling up). It worked really well and certainly made my wait a lot less stressful (it was about 20 minutes before I was able to charge).

The guys at Tebay said they would be there until Easter Monday. I've read that Easter weekend is the busiest period of the year for traffic - even busier than Christmas. Queue management like this is probably only really necessary at exceptionally busy periods - I'm sure Tesla have looked into methods of queue management as this sort of thing has been happening in California and elsewhere outside the UK for years; perhaps they have concluded that due to human factors the best solution is to occasionally send out staff at peak times.

The layout at Tebay (cul de sac with room to wait opposite chargers) means queue jumping is unlikely. Four more ultra rapids southbound (non-Tesla) plus six northbound later this year may help too. In contrast, cross words were being exchanged at Hopwood Park last Monday lunchtime as some queuing Tesla drivers were unluckily/unfairly unable to get to spaces as they freed up due to the layout of the car park. There was often a queue of general traffic blocking all the chargers and some new Tesla arrivals were able to nip in without noticing others waiting nearby but blocked in.

2023-04-06 Tebay queue crop.jpg

Yes - I was there on Friday just after two guys had turned up (around 11.00). They had hi viz Tesla jackets, a box of chocolate lollipops (for families in need of a pick-me-up) and a set of road cones, and they were trying to figure out how best to organise an orderly queue as new drivers arrived. Although they explained they were working it out as they went along they were coordinating with other Tebay staff who were managing the whole car park (it was quickly filling up). It worked really well and certainly made my wait a lot less stressful (it was about 20 minutes before I was able to charge).

The guys at Tebay said they would be there until Easter Monday. I've read that Easter weekend is the busiest period of the year for traffic - even busier than Christmas. Queue management like this is probably only really necessary at exceptionally busy periods - I'm sure Tesla have looked into methods of queue management as this sort of thing has been happening in California and elsewhere outside the UK for years; perhaps they have concluded that due to human factors the best solution is to occasionally send out staff at peak times.

The layout at Tebay (cul de sac with room to wait opposite chargers) means queue jumping is unlikely. Four more ultra rapids southbound (non-Tesla) plus six northbound later this year may help too. In contrast, cross words were being exchanged at Hopwood Park last Monday lunchtime as some queuing Tesla drivers were unluckily/unfairly unable to get to spaces as they freed up due to the layout of the car park. There was often a queue of general traffic blocking all the chargers and some new Tesla arrivals were able to nip in without noticing others waiting nearby but blocked in.

View attachment 927698
Tebay is cheating, there's loads of space. I'd like to see them do Abington or Gretna :D

I travelled on Bank Holiday Monday and didn't have any problems. Was heading south towards Mansfield but Tesla said it was full, as was Woodall, so stopped early at the new Gridserve chargers at Wooley Edge - we were the only people there and the charge rate was fast. Later stopped at Hopwood Park at about tea time and it was pretty quiet there too.

I feel like a lot of Tesla drivers are unaware / unwilling to go and try non-Tesla sites, or adjust the time and place they charge - but if you do you can avoid queues quite easily.