Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s probably Exeter given all the activity going on down there at the moment.

G4E are digging up another part of the car park, supposedly for more super chargers and another bank of gridserve units. Once completed, it will be the biggest charging hub in the U.K. by some margin (pretty sure Gridserve/Tesla already hold this crown at one of the electric forecourts).

National grid are apparently doing something new there to manage the load if you believe the twitbook chatter.

Not that I want to sound bitter but squashing another 24 Superchargers into the South-East when there's a square-root of sod-all north of Leeds and then celebrating it as a win is a hollow victory.
There is little/nothing East of the A1 and a whole lot of nice area uncovered. Want to go to the Yorkshire coast? Better make sure you have enough charge to get there and back!

There is little/nothing East of the A1 and a whole lot of nice area uncovered. Want to go to the Yorkshire coast? Better make sure you have enough charge to get there and back!

I was looking at a northern power grid map yesterday (was bored!) and it seems like, while there are areas with limited power capacity, there do seem to be enough places with good capacity that I’m surprised there isn’t more charging capacity there.

I was looking at a northern power grid map yesterday (was bored!) and it seems like, while there are areas with limited power capacity, there do seem to be enough places with good capacity that I’m surprised there isn’t more charging capacity there.
Surely York as a major tourist destination deserves some superchargers! I can’t imagine a city has no power available anywhere

I was also at Exeter this weekend and that's going to be a heccing chonker of an expansion. Looks like they are doubling the number of Gridserves down the side, so that's +12. Then there are two sets of box bays roped off. One looks like a +24 and the other+12. So I'd say there's around 48 going in to add to the current 12 Superchargers/12 Gridserves.

Reactions: CMc1 and Mrklaw
Home Page| Northern Powergrid

worth a read. Three schemes in York itself, 17 larger schemes around the NE. Not much detail on the three in York but two involve 11kv provision for EV charging (amongst other) although the first two sound scarily ‘council’ phrased. So who knows if thats rollout of third party rapids or lots of local destination. maybe a mix of both
York already have 2 "Hyperhubs". Just no Superchargers invovled

Heathrow Superchargers (Bath Rd) now open to all vehicles. Turned up today with the car saying 5 available but in reality none due to the fact that they were being used from the wrong side.

Nice coffee in the hotel cafe though.

Just checked back and this one (Heathrow T2 & 3) was opened up at the start of May, at the same time as Guildford. I don't think any other UK sites have been opened to non-Tesla since then (currently there are 24 in total).

Still it's a good example of how the non-Tesla charge port side can significantly affect availability. It really ought to be programmed into the Nav availability/wait time since, as mentioned above, the non-Tesla car make/model is input when the app is set up for using Superchargers.

What's the point of having lots of fast chargers at a park and ride? Surely they would benefit from slow 7kwh chargers to slowly top you up while you go off into town.

they are 7kwh. See what I mean about terminology? 7kwh is 'fast' and 50kw is rapid. Makes no sense to me. Just call AC slow and 50kw fast and then 150kw upwards is rapid

Just checked back and this one (Heathrow T2 & 3) was opened up at the start of May, at the same time as Guildford. I don't think any other UK sites have been opened to non-Tesla since then (currently there are 24 in total).

Still it's a good example of how the non-Tesla charge port side can significantly affect availability. It really ought to be programmed into the Nav availability/wait time since, as mentioned above, the non-Tesla car make/model is input when the app is set up for using Superchargers.

they could do with some signage. If you have non-teslas and teslas grouped up you in theory only lose one spot. If you're all doing urinal rules and staying away from each other it gets very inefficient very quickly

Just call AC slow and 50kw fast and then 150kw upwards is rapid

I'd prefer the Max kW number was on the sticker ... much easier to compare, and a novice is not going to get T-d off by assuming that "Fast" or "Rapid" would actually be anything like that.

If they are going to use words to describe them then they need to nick them from Elon, then we'll have Insane charging, shortly followed by Ludicrous ... and then Plaid :)

• Funny
Reactions: HenryT and Mrklaw
they are 7kwh. See what I mean about terminology? 7kwh is 'fast' and 50kw is rapid. Makes no sense to me. Just call AC slow and 50kw fast and then 150kw upwards is rapid
I think the terminology dates back to a simpler time when most home charging was happening at 2kw on a three pin plug compared to that 7kw was fast and would fill your 25kwh hour battery in 3 hours! I realignment of the terminology is overdue.

Surely York as a major tourist destination deserves some superchargers! I can’t imagine a city has no power available anywhere
Stayed in York last week, at the Novotel.

3 AC chargers in the car par, just me and some bloke in a Volvo hybrid turned up for a spot of charge. Nobody else there the whole time. Relocated once charged, after my evening meal and a spot of TV to allow anyone else in but remained empty all night.

Took just under 4h to put 40kW in, enough for me to get back home (170 miles) without stopping if I didn't want to?

Cost me £22.84 and yet another new app on my phone, 14 of them I now have including ZapMap😂

IMO destination charging is the solution. Cars are parked far longer than they are in motion. They need to recharge when we do, parking, shopping eating, sleeping.

Apologies for being off thread.