Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What proportion of new sites being opened are open to all does anyone know?
Is Tesla's strategy, to avoid annoying owners, not to open up too many existing ones in the UK where queuing behind ID's taking up two spots would annoy people but instead just make new ones open to all?
I mean you can't be mad about a charger that was not there when you bought the car now being available can you? even if you have to share it's still a net gain not a net loss.
I make it 24 open to non-Tesla out of a total of 117 in the UK.
15 existing sites were opened up initially in May last year. Since then a few pre-existing, but relatively new, sites have been added (Harrogate, Romford, Sidcup) plus a reasonable proportion of newer ones (sometimes after a delay of a month or two) - see below.

If I use a cut-off of December 2022, my tally is 14 new sites of which 6 are open to non-Tesla (Heathrow T2&3, Newport, Guildford, Carmarthen, Dorking, Merry Hill), so almost 50% of the newer sites. The others all have an adjacent third party rapid hub (e.g. Exeter, Swansea) or are a Service Centre (Northampton).

I agree there's no point moaning about not getting exclusive access to new UK sites. Tesla do seem to have avoided opening up the busiest sites to non-Tesla here, and the V4 stall design appears to be enabling sites that would otherwise not have been offered (at least two in planning in Dumfries and Galloway appear to be in council car parks, for example).

The Design and Access Statement gives a good explanation of the rationale for choosing the site - the first constraint is proximity to a Point of Access for grid power, followed by sites with existing car parking and amenities. On balance it looks like a pretty good location given all the constraints in the area (and lack of rapid charging hubs). It also indicates this is intended to be a V4 site with both Superchargers and destination chargers open to non-Tesla vehicles.

This corresponds to Tesla's Portsmouth - West map marker, target opening Q1 2024. They haven't updated the markers since February but compared to previous years it seems many more proposed sites are now becoming a reality.

Planning Ref 23/00732/FUL on the Portsmouth City Council planning website (the Twitter link didn't work for me)
Yeah, I don't doubt there are a ton of constraints around that I have no idea about 😂

Just noting it isn't the easiest to get to from all directions. Something like Whiteley or Hedge End would be easier to get to with car parking and amenities for general eastern-end M27 travel.

Reactions: cezdoc
What proportion of new sites being opened are open to all does anyone know?
Is Tesla's strategy, to avoid annoying owners, not to open up too many existing ones in the UK where queuing behind ID's taking up two spots would annoy people but instead just make new ones open to all?
I mean you can't be mad about a charger that was not there when you bought the car now being available can you? even if you have to share it's still a net gain not a net loss.
It wouldn’t shock me to find that all new site end up being open to all, I’m guessing it makes planning easier to obtain plus now with V4 it shouldn’t cause 2 chargers to be taken up by 1 vehicle charging. I think as long as they keep installation rates high enough it’s a good thing. The cost for Tesla to install Superchargers is so much lower than what the others cost and when they add battery storage to them to ease demand on grid and/or allow cheaper charging costs I can only see the gap widening. Look at ionity, almost seems like they’ve given up in UK!

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Suits me if Tesla clean-up in the charging-market. They have a good product, plenty of stalls across the nation / world. All (bit broad-brush, sorry!) the others are putting as few stalls as possible on each site, and have maintenacne issues of varying degrees. Someone else could have come along and cornered the market, but they haven't shown themselves yet ...

Tesla getting USA other-brands to adopt their connector (the North America one) is going to give them the same market-advantage over there ...

A quick tot-up of SuperchargerInfo gives a UK total of 1,143 stalls on 117 (open) sites (56=150kW, 61=250kW)

Reactions: CMc1 and cezdoc
Suits me if Tesla clean-up in the charging-market. They have a good product, plenty of stalls across the nation / world. All (bit broad-brush, sorry!) the others are putting as few stalls as possible on each site, and have maintenacne issues of varying degrees. Someone else could have come along and cornered the market, but they haven't shown themselves yet ...

Tesla getting USA other-brands to adopt their connector (the North America one) is going to give them the same market-advantage over there ...

A quick tot-up of SuperchargerInfo gives a UK total of 1,143 stalls on 117 (open) sites (56=150kW, 61=250kW)
Tesla will have to get its act together if it's really going to clean up. There are 150+ non-Tesla rapid charging hubs in the UK (six or more devices) and they are growing faster than Tesla. Supercharger expansion in the UK is currently running at half the pace it is in the likes of France and Germany.

Look at ionity, almost seems like they’ve given up in UK!
Ionity in the U.K. has seen a bit of a resurgence of late. Although they only have 19 locations, they have 9 in construction. One of them is a 12 charger hub near the M6 at Carlisle which looks to be just waiting for a DNO connection, is next to a Starbucks and has plenty of other refreshment alternatives nearby.

Most of the ones are in different parts of the UK and not concentrated in the SE of England as well.

Tesla will have to get its act together if it's really going to clean up. There are 150+ non-Tesla rapid charging hubs in the UK (six or more devices) and they are growing faster than Tesla. Supercharger expansion in the UK is currently running at half the pace it is in the likes of France and Germany.

When I plan my route from Oxford to Kintyre for summer family visiting in ABRP allowing all CCS chargers the best stops are now both non-Tesla. First at the Gridserve hub at Kendal then the Ionity at Polmadie. Every other year its been SuperChargers at Charnock Richard then Abington.

I'm not so sure about really doing 3h15 on the first leg, used to feel a bit long to get to Charnock Richard for me before, but I'll happily avoid Abington.

By next year there will be Tesla at Hamilton, but also Ionity at Greenock, and on the way the first stop could be the new Tesla at Gretna Caledonian Park

When I plan my route from Oxford to Kintyre for summer family visiting in ABRP allowing all CCS chargers the best stops are now both non-Tesla. First at the Gridserve hub at Kendal then the Ionity at Polmadie. Every other year its been SuperChargers at Charnock Richard then Abington.

I'm not so sure about really doing 3h15 on the first leg, used to feel a bit long to get to Charnock Richard for me before, but I'll happily avoid Abington.

By next year there will be Tesla at Hamilton, but also Ionity at Greenock, and on the way the first stop could be the new Tesla at Gretna Caledonian Park

Did you miss the news that Tebay is now 12 X V3s ?

Why on earth would you pay 3x Supercharger prices for the same thing?
I’ve never used Ionity, but have a trip coming up and always keep in mind non-Tesla alternatives especially as the Tesla recommended stop is the small site at Gretna where I’m coming off the motorway.

I know of quite a few people who use EVs that aren’t a Tesla and Ionity can be had much cheaper with third party charging apps. One reason I have a Tesla is that I don’t need to worry about things like that too much.

Why on earth would you pay 3x Supercharger prices for the same thing?

why would you pay supercharger prices when you can charge at home?

If I have to charge out and about its rare enough that it doesn’t change my cost per mile much at all. So I don’t fuss which provider I use - I prioritise location and convenience first.

how many were open do you think (did you count)? and did you wait? hoping that the more there are the less time you'll be queuing as they'll free up more regularly
IMG_1447.jpg
IMG_1446.jpg

I was back at Exeter this weekend. Good progress. Looks like 16 more superchargers, and 12 new Gridserve Chargers going in.