Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know what car you have but for any Model 3 or Y the most you will get from a 22kw AC charger is 11kw. Most cars wont charge above 7kw. 22kw on board chargers are basically a relic of a pre DC charging era.

It is unlikely that this proposed installation will support continuous 22kW at all stalls simultaneously. If Tesla is using their own equipment, it costs them nothing to make them 22kW max with power sharing between groups of stalls rather than artificially limiting them to a lower rating. Also, if you want to support single-phase 7kW (the most common in the UK) you need to supply 32A and if you also support 3-phase (to allow Model 3 etc to get 11kW), then the combination gives a notional 22kW even if no car ever uses it that way.

Thanks. Any idea why Gloucester never went with Tesla ? Is that something that came from the Ecotricity kerfuffle ?
No idea, I suppose they preferred the site at Michaelwood perhpa due to power, or commercially through a broader deal with Days Inn like some other locations. Tesla don't seem to have been successful so far getting SuperChargers built with new services, to my memory they are all retrofits, for example they aren't at the new-ish Leeds Skelton Lake or Beaconsfield.

Personal opinion is that even as a Tesla Owner other brands exist in sufficient numbers at many service stations now that it's worth choosing the best journey rather than sticking to Tesla. On my way up to West Coast Scotland at the weekend I used Tesla at Tebay and then Ionity in Glasgow, on the way back we'll be using some of the new Applegreen at Gretna then Tesla at Burtonwood.

Reactions: petit_bateau
No idea, I suppose they preferred the site at Michaelwood perhpa due to power, or commercially through a broader deal with Days Inn like some other locations. Tesla don't seem to have been successful so far getting SuperChargers built with new services, to my memory they are all retrofits, for example they aren't at the new-ish Leeds Skelton Lake or Beaconsfield.

Personal opinion is that even as a Tesla Owner other brands exist in sufficient numbers at many service stations now that it's worth choosing the best journey rather than sticking to Tesla. On my way up to West Coast Scotland at the weekend I used Tesla at Tebay and then Ionity in Glasgow, on the way back we'll be using some of the new Applegreen at Gretna then Tesla at Burtonwood.
I agree that the 3rd party ultra-rapid hubs have caught up with Superchargers in terms of charging experience. Even though I have free Supercharging I now look for alternative hubs so long as I think they will be reliable and I don't need to download another app/create another account to use them.

Michaelwood was part of the partnership with Welcome Break but Tesla seem to have a good relationship with Westmorland so I'm sure they tried to make Gloucester work but hit some kind of snag. It looks like branded rapid charger units are now a more appealing proposition. Moto Rugby is the only MSA I can think of where superchargers were included in a brand new site.

Reactions: petit_bateau
I agree that the 3rd party ultra-rapid hubs have caught up with Superchargers in terms of charging experience. Even though I have free Supercharging I now look for alternative hubs so long as I think they will be reliable and I don't need to download another app/create another account to use them.

Michaelwood was part of the partnership with Welcome Break but Tesla seem to have a good relationship with Westmorland so I'm sure they tried to make Gloucester work but hit some kind of snag. It looks like branded rapid charger units are now a more appealing proposition. Moto Rugby is the only MSA I can think of where superchargers were included in a brand new site.

its creating a situation for me where the incar satnav isn't as convenient as it was. Are there any good apps that let you do a simple filter by number of chargers? Zap map is ok but filtering by hub size is a premium feature which is annoying.

I'd like to have a fairly simple map of 'hubs of 6 or more from these brands' and list the ones I consider reliable (although if they're biulding 6+ rapids they're nearly all reliable brands, geniepoint/BP pulse etc seem to be smaller singles/duals

its creating a situation for me where the incar satnav isn't as convenient as it was. Are there any good apps that let you do a simple filter by number of chargers? Zap map is ok but filtering by hub size is a premium feature which is annoying.

I'd like to have a fairly simple map of 'hubs of 6 or more from these brands' and list the ones I consider reliable (although if they're biulding 6+ rapids they're nearly all reliable brands, geniepoint/BP pulse etc seem to be smaller singles/duals

Electroverse | Charge point map can filter by number of chargers.

ABRP will not show you a map of hubs based on size but you can ask for a route and tell it to only consider stops at hubs with greater than X chargers. It is not a premium feature.

To be fair the apps arnt free to produce and maintain so maybe consider buying a sub to support them if they’re useful enough for you.

22kw AC for thr win here as I just bought a 2019 type 2 only R110 Renault Zoe 😂 as a second car. But I’ve usefully charged at 11kw in various places on the Tesla. I don’t think we need to be reductive, you can fit a lot of 22kw posts into the capacity of a single 150kw rapid after all so unlikely to be causing installers not to put in more rapids. Especially if they have power management.

Of all the MSA’s you’d expect it would be one of the easiest to get substantial power to as its right next to the site of the Ferrybridge power station which is a huge coal fired beast with all the associated high voltage/power infrastructure to boot.
As they’ve had to install a temporary vegetable oil generator and a battery storage solution to even open 6 of the new overdue gridserve chargers, it appears it’s not easy at all.
Ferrybridge Gridserve Microgrid Power

Looks like government regulations will force Tesla to open the network to all vehicles:

Seems a bit unfair given that Tesla owners indirectly paid for the network but are now about to lose the benefits.
If you look at the legislation it quotes in section (3) 2 that a public charge point (where the new rules apply) does not include a charge point restricted for the exclusive use by a vehicle produced by a specific manufacturer.

As such, if Tesla chooses to keep some of their superchargers private, then the new rules would not apply to those specific superchargers.

New hardware displaying price and allowing contactless payment will however be mandatory for the "open to all" superchargers.

As such I would actually suspect that this would encourage Tesla to delay opening up further sites to all manufacturers, as they would be obliged to update the stools, likely to the HW4 spec within the mandated timeframe.

I doubt Tesla would like to divert that cost/resource all at once to existing sites, when they are trying to build the network.

Anybody near Truro, Cornwall that can verify if Tesla equipment on site please?

Near ‘The Range’ opposite Fiat

Treliske industrial estate, Tresawls Rd, Treliske, Truro TR1 3LN

12 bases spotted - not typical tombstones, but same duct and mounting positions as Tesla Superchargers. And a known civil contractor working there

Last edited:
⚡⚡️ another V4 site found in Scottish planning. Heartlands Village Square, Whitburn.

Disabled bay too. First SuC site in UK?

IMG_3977.jpeg

Anybody near Truro, Cornwall that can verify if Tesla equipment on site please?

Near ‘The Range’ opposite Fiat

Treliske industrial estate, Tresawls Rd, Treliske, Truro TR1 3LN

12 bases spotted - not typical tombstones, but same duct and mounting positions as Tesla Superchargers. And a known civil contractor working there

Interesting. Very close to Camborne. Hope they don’t close that down it’s super handy for Hayle/st Ives