Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like Reading West is up and running as of today.

1000005558.jpg

Well it’s already leaking out that the new reading chargers are open to all in the wider EV groups I’m a member of and they are cheaper than the gridserve units.

Let’s see how this plays out…
I don't blame them, at least 10p different from the chargers opposite. Gridserve aren't even the worst offender at keeping Putin's winter pricing in the summer.

There needs to be a price cap for public charging, these network have demonstrated they can't be left to self regulate. Money grabbers just like oil companies.

To be fair, most of the charging networks are currently loss making. The capital investment is significant to install these things, particularly when you are reliant on third party suppliers (E.g. ABB, Tritium, Kem power etc) for your hardware.

To be fair, most of the charging networks are currently loss making. The capital investment is significant to install these things, particularly when you are reliant on third party suppliers (E.g. ABB, Tritium, Kem power etc) for your hardware.
Gridserve made a £5M net profit last year, with an EBITDA of £36M according the accounts they filed. I bet that will be higher this year.

The costs of increases will be instant, the savings of reductions will be slow to be passed on as per normal so they can rake it in.
There should be a cap simple as, if we want all this net-zero and bigger uptake of electric vehicles you are not going to get that by making it nearly the same price as petrol per mile!

Reactions: SteelmanMFC
The costs of increases will be instant, the savings of reductions will be slow to be passed on as per normal so they can rake it in.
There should be a cap simple as, if we want all this net-zero and bigger uptake of electric vehicles you are not going to get that by making it nearly the same price as petrol per mile!
I am sure there is a lot to say about this, personally I would weigh in about how crazy it is that I can charge at home for 7.5p per kwh but at a public charger you pay at least 5 times that and more than 7.5p per kwh in VAT alone.
But I am not going to because this is the supercharger site news thread so this is not the right place for that discussion.

• Love
Reactions: Jwdrums
Gridserve made a £5M net profit last year, with an EBITDA of £36M according the accounts they filed. I bet that will be higher this year.
But how much if that is from charging and how much is from their other business such as renewable energy generation and grid balancing (via batteries) which have been rather profitable over the last year?

The likes of instavolt and Osprey have historically lost a lot of money while they build new sites.

I am sure there is a lot to say about this, personally I would weigh in about how crazy it is that I can charge at home for 7.5p per kwh but at a public charger you pay at least 5 times that and more than 7.5p per kwh in VAT alone.
But I am not going to because this is the supercharger site news thread so this is not the right place for that discussion.
to be devils advocate... day rate you have is 30 p not 7.5... and at SC you charge times faster ;/

Reactions: kelvin 660
But how much if that is from charging and how much is from their other business such as renewable energy generation and grid balancing (via batteries) which have been rather profitable over the last year?

The likes of instavolt and Osprey have historically lost a lot of money while they build new sites.
That's not really how company accounts work, the capital cost of building a new site creates an asset for which you account an amount of depreciation each year. It's obvious that building something new will take years to recover it's costs, and you have created some kind of debt from making that investment, but you can still be profitable while the depreciation + finance costs are lower than the revenue generated.

It is reasonable to suggest that if introducing a new concept that you will still make a loss while you are waiting for demand to increase to the point that you are making a return, This isn't the case for Gridserve (£5M net profit) or Instavolt (£5.7M) last year.

Reactions: browellm