Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any news on Preston South / Walton Summit and the ones at Birch E/B ad W/B yet?
Somebody on TOUK Facebook group wrote this about Preston South (on 2nd April):
I coincidently called in to Preston South today…saw one of workers there…I asked when it will be online…reply “no-time soon”! Apparently…it’s the DNO…they have not installed any equipment yet in order to hook up the chargers to the National grid! It’s going to be a bit longer yet I think before these go live! Shame…first saw this site back in November…didn’t think it would take this long!😡
Everything built in the NW seems to have long DNO delays these days - Birch, Preston, Manchester, even the Gretna expansion...

By the size of the stalls in picture on X they are V3 which is consistent with Welcome Break. Question is, how many? There are 8 stalls in place but there are least 4 cabinets if not more - love to see more images!
Re Woodall South - Tada!
(This afternoon, 5pmish)
If I had known the Vness was a point of discussion I would have pushed through the covers or measured the height!

1715638000487.png

Despite the nav saying that there were only three spaces in (what I expect to become) the (current) 'de facto Woodall North' (ie the existing Woodall South chargers) there were in fact seven free.

An hour or so later, I told a Kia driver he was wasting his time trying to plug into the Tesla chargers at Hopwood. (I remember plugging into the 6th of 6 there a few years ago - I wonder if/when I will be 36th of 36???).

What are thought on pushing Tesla chargers to other car owners?
Yay! - more revenue and possible future chargers for Tesla or
Nay! - more competition for the limited spaces?

I must admit I am drifting from nay to yay

Reactions: Sean.
Re Woodall South - Tada!
(This afternoon, 5pmish)
If I had known the Vness was a point of discussion I would have pushed through the covers or measured the height!

View attachment 1046859

Despite the nav saying that there were only three spaces in (what I expect to become) the (current) 'de facto Woodall North' (ie the existing Woodall South chargers) there were in fact seven free.

An hour or so later, I told a Kia driver he was wasting his time trying to plug into the Tesla chargers at Hopwood. (I remember plugging into the 6th of 6 there a few years ago - I wonder if/when I will be 36th of 36???).

In nearly 5 years of driving a Tesla, once at Woodall was the only time I had to wait for a charger. This was back when there were only 2 that had CCS cables, and they made the mistake of making those 2 the nearest to the path to the services so they were both occupied by free SC Model X's

I would be erring towards Yay as its more revenue to expand, and its more competition to drive down 3rd party charge providers.

That said this installation at Woodall makes me want to say nay. Install V4s and install them central to the bay - no ambiguity as to which charger is yours then, and V4 cable should be long enough for any charge port location.

People are always saying that the cables are too short on V3s, but due to v4s being off centre still it isnt clear to non-Tesla drivers which charger they should use.

Reactions: zexpe
It probably made sense to keep it a closed shop in 2014.

In 2024. Nah.

It's like having garages that only dispense petrol to VW cars or Stellantis or whatever. It's a bit ridiculous when you think about it in those terms.

Reactions: KennethS
It probably made sense to keep it a closed shop in 2014.

In 2024. Nah.

It's like having garages that only dispense petrol to VW cars or Stellantis or whatever. It's a bit ridiculous when you think about it in those terms.
Well, at present it's like petrol stations that only have pumps on one side with hoses that aren't long enough to reach over to the other side...

An awesome feature of Teslas is the supercharger availability updates in the cars' satnavs: they even tell you how many cars are en route to the charger now. That's all broken when they open up to all with short cable chargers or V4s that are positioned in such a way that people may end up using the wrong stall and blocking stalls. It's not fun arriving at a supercharger that says it's got 4 free stalls to find they are all blocked by people using alternating stall sides.

I'm also not optimistic that this opening up will lead to any greater rollout of superchargers. However, it may well be necessary to keep the ship afloat, and if that's the case, well, better than having none...

True.
Which ,if you are VW and there are very few unreliable expensive fuel stations for your competitors cars to use and it leads to more people buying your cars, it makes perfect sense
...and then they open up to all, and the price disparity means that you either don't queue for the expensive unreliable fuel station or you do queue for the cheaper reliable fuel station...

There's a post on the TOUK Facebook group today of a non-Tesla using an open-to-all supercharger as a parking spot. So it's also opening up to more idiocy...

I would be erring towards Yay as its more revenue to expand, and its more competition to drive down 3rd party charge providers.

That said this installation at Woodall makes me want to say nay. Install V4s and install them central to the bay - no ambiguity as to which charger is yours then, and V4 cable should be long enough for any charge port location.

People are always saying that the cables are too short on V3s, but due to v4s being off centre still it isnt clear to non-Tesla drivers which charger they should use.
It’s Welcome Break preventing them from installing V4s - they want non-Teslas to use their own brand chargers.

Reactions: zexpe and Oxid8ter
You just need to read the comments here to see that it’s a field day for those that are against EVs in general and Tesla in particular. Musk is now little more than a liability.

Bullshit, the BBC are fully paid up members of the FUD alliance. Anything that Musk does will be misconstrued.

Reactions: JupiterMan