Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Judging by the new wrapped cabs, looks like Lifton is getting 16 x v4…

There are 8 existing and based on that X post there are only 5 new bases so that makes 13.
As far as I know Tesla have never upgraded a single supercharger site so if they do replace the existing V2 with V4 this will be a first. Stoke has had V4 added with out upgrading the existing chargers.
Never say never but they may just be putting in the cabinets with a view to future upgrades rather than a plan to replace the stalls now?
What I think we don't know is if V2 can even be upgraded to V4 without replacing the underground cables which would make it a bigger job.

Reactions: jake@astralis.
I don't see anything relevant in South Ribble's planning system.
Agreed there's nothing apparent in their planning portal, but UK superchargers don't always need permission. Clearly something is happening at Holiday Inn Preston South (I'd put the location at about (53.718900, -2.654000) based on the above photo) though.
I'm not sure what triggers the requirement for planning - I think creating extra parking spaces/hard standing rather than re-using an existing area is the main one.

There are 8 existing and based on that X post there are only 5 new bases so that makes 13.
As far as I know Tesla have never upgraded a single supercharger site so if they do replace the existing V2 with V4 this will be a first. Stoke has had V4 added with out upgrading the existing chargers.
Never say never but they may just be putting in the cabinets with a view to future upgrades rather than a plan to replace the stalls now?
What I think we don't know is if V2 can even be upgraded to V4 without replacing the underground cables which would make it a bigger job.
They are probably waiting for the grid connection to go in before embarking on the rest of the ground work and ripping out the old chargers to minimise down time.

Don’t forget, all the cables will be in ducts so they can just be pulled through and the car park may not need to be dug up again.

Reactions: Jason71 and Sean.
They are probably waiting for the grid connection to go in before embarking on the rest of the ground work and ripping out the old chargers to minimise down time.

Don’t forget, all the cables will be in ducts so they can just be pulled through and the car park may not need to be dug up again.
True. What I’m not clear about is whether they can reuse the existing v2 bases/plinths or whether these will need to be ripped out for a V4 upgrade. Either way the 4 cabinets point to 16 points - if there were only 8 points then Tesla would only deliver 2 cabs. Outside of Fleet they’re not typically in the habit of having SuC cabs lying around “spare”

True. What I’m not clear about is whether they can reuse the existing v2 bases/plinths or whether these will need to be ripped out for a V4 upgrade. Either way the 4 cabinets point to 16 points - if there were only 8 points then Tesla would only deliver 2 cabs. Outside of Fleet they’re not typically in the habit of having SuC cabs lying around “spare”
At Tebay Southbound the V2 bases were all dug up earlier this year when the site was upgraded from 8 V2 to 12 V3. In that case, though, Westmorland are installing their own brand rapid units where the V2 stalls used to be so that may have forced the decision to remove the V2s (and their charger cabinets).

Reactions: Sean.
Stopped at Lifton today and the site is down with National Grid installing a massive transformer. Didn't look like a single day job. Couldn't see any sign of any V4 posts on site yet.

Also passed by the Fraddon site today. No more progress. Still wrapped up cabinets and posts in waiting to be switched on, nothing else going on, sadly. Would be nice for this to take over from Lifton temporarily but it's not looking likely so we're maybe a bit short in the far south west.

temporarily but overall its still well up on previous years with bodmin now open, and shell Hayle and St Ives might be open(?) - and camborne isn’t far

Reactions: jake@astralis.
Saw something going on at Birch Westbound on the vicinity of the superchargers yesterday out of the corner of my eye as I drove past - potentially gridserve going on next to the superchargers that aren’t yet active?
Has anyone been in the services in the last few days?

What is going on with Abington ? Perm not available ? Looks a busy day to be going NE or Scotland.

Attachments

• IMG_6526.jpeg
    IMG_6526.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 107
It has been showing as no information available all week, and is now showing as completely out of order.

I suspected it was out of order earlier in the week and so avoided going there and changed my charging locations to Eurocentral and Tebay southbound and Tebay and Edinburgh northbound.

As all Scotland/England rail links have been cancelled yesterday and today it wont have helped those needing to travel by road!

Over on another forum, there was mention of issues with the Applegreen chargers there so it may be a site issue rather than a Tesla issue.
I can't make up my mind if that's going to mean it's fixed faster or slower. I feel if it was a Tesla hardware issue they'd fix it in days. However if there are multiple companies impacted that might encourage the DNO (or whoever is responsible) to fix quicker. I worry anything involving the DNO will mean it's slow

EV charging is Permitted Development (ie. no planning permission required) with various rules. This used to be a max height of 1.6m, so I was wondering if the new V4 stalls fell foul of that, but it seems they've been and amended the regulations while I haven't been looking: it's still 1.6m for domestic, but now 2.3m for other cases, which is presumably tall enough for the V4.

See Class E in:

Windamere received the most votes

Really hope Bath does, it's a wasteland for faster chargers period.

The Lake District needs Superchargers too. There are a few Instavolt chargers at the Booths in Windemere and Kendel. Last I checked there wasn't much else working.

There is some destination charging, but not nearly enough.

Voting was still open yesterday. If it is still open today, I urge anyone with uncast votes to vote for Windamere and Bath.

Reactions: pheo