Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lifton will be an goo test of this. Its not just that the newly upgraded superchargers are cheaper in Lifton. There are very few Rapid chargers around Launceston at all. All the others are max 50kw (and 79p+) . I imagine that come the Spring/summer that on certain days there will be huge demand and there is no space in that carpark to queue. I think it's going to be total carnage. Its the first one they have opened up where I have thought this is going to be interesting....
I've not heard of too many problems in European countries which are more open/been doing it longer.

Geography plays a role, I could see areas heading towards the sea as more problematic, everyone is funnelled into certain routes and demand is boom & bust.

I've been reading up on Superchargers recently, and a lot of articles are stating that Tesla are focusing on upgrading older versions to V4, with the intention of existing sites being opened to other EVs once they are running V4 chargers.

The V4s do seems a good design for other EVs, with their longer charge cable, and many being centred to the bay, hopefully as they rollout more the issues with other EVs straddling multiple bays will ease a little, and a lot have been spotted with card readers so that makes the experience a bit easier too, as it means non-Tesla's will not need to download the app and register etc.

On another note, I was watching a YouTube video recently where What Car tested BYD, Tesla, and VW against one another. The first charge was at a supercharger open to all brands of EV - I was really surprised at the pricing for Non-Tesla as it is going to drive traffic to the supercharger massively. In the video the Non-Tesla Supercharging was 51p/kWh vs Tesla at 44p/kWh. The other chargers later in the video were 87p/kWh. I can't help but feel that this level of discount is going to cause massive queues, and then the Tesla's end up being forced to go to the non-Tesla chargers and pay the more extortionate rate, or will be sat for an eternity waiting for a charger.

Video for Ref, in case you are interested:
If Tesla have decided to open certain sites up to all EVs, then everyone has equal priority. The majority of Superchargers in the UK are exclusively for Teslas, I suggest you stick to those if you object to queuing with muggles.

Reactions: Ian James

Averaged over 11 sites:-

1702904924834.png

Lifton will be an good test of this. It’s not just that the newly upgraded superchargers are cheaper in Lifton. There are very few Rapid chargers around Launceston at all. All the others are max 50kw (and 79p+) . I imagine that come the Spring/summer that on certain days there will be huge demand and there is no space in that carpark to queue. I think it's going to be total carnage. It’s the first one they have opened up where I have thought this is going to be interesting....
There’s a new 12 charger InstaVolt hub in Bodmin and also a 12 charger Ionity site under construction. There will also be another 8 V4s at Penhale.

If Tesla have decided to open certain sites up to all EVs, then everyone has equal priority. The majority of Superchargers in the UK are exclusively for Teslas, I suggest you stick to those if you object to queuing with muggles.
I have no issues queueing, we are brits after all. My concerns lie in if/when entire network is open to all EVs and the pricing is substantially more competitive than other providers.

I have no issues queueing, we are brits after all. My concerns lie in if/when entire network is open to all EVs and the pricing is substantially more competitive than other providers.

As Brits, I don't think we're used to things getting better... however...

Tesla will use the money to open more Superchargers until every corner has a 64 charger site on it. Well... maybe not but growth is high. Tesla are ANTICIPATING other OEMs joining.

Some relevant bits from financials with my highlights:- growth of 31% per year for Superchargers (worldwide)

Biggest problems are to do with land, ransom strips and getting power connected. Tesla may be able to make do with trickle charging of megapacks which power the Superchargers at peak times if high power connections are delayed.

Source: Investor Relations | Tesla Investor Relations

1702913361133.png

Services and Other business
As our global fleet size grows, our Services and Other business continues to grow successfully, with Supercharging, insurance and body shop & part sales being the core drivers of profit growth YoY. Pay-per-use Supercharging remains a profitable business for the company, even as we scale capital expenditures. Our team is focused on materially expanding Supercharging capacity and further improving capacity management in anticipation of other OEMs joining our network

1702913513503.png

Last edited:
Tesla is pricing low to attract business from other networks. Odds on it would increase the price to manage demand if the network was overwhelmed. It's a commercial business after all.
It's not really how tesla currently operate. Even on megapacks which have enormous demand and wait lists, tesla reduce prices as commodity prices reduce (for tesla, it's not the spot price, long term complex contracts). Rough rule of thumb is 20% profit max.

Tesla is currently very unusual. The Mission is key to keeping staff motivated. Without this, tesla lose the highest quality, most effective engineers.

Tesla widely share intellectual property, patents, NACS charging standard, access to superchargers without asking for money. There is a condition of not suing for patents back.

They even sent "How to build 48 volt vehicle" information to car makers and suppliers.

We're not used to long term thinking, mission driven companies. Usually expecting a short term ripoff monopoly and lots of cynicism is appropriate. Not in this case.

From 2013 https://www.tesla.com/blog/mission-tesla

More recently https://www.tesla.com/blog/master-plan-part-3

May be of interest.

Tesla v3 chargers previously installed waiting for grid, tesla installing minimum of 12 V4 at a time from now on (his conjecture, I presume). 110000 to 11000 to 450 volt step down kit, how it connects.

Building database of up and coming superchargers, maybe gridserve etc.

Only half way through video so far, some more bits after maybe.

Used to cost £500,000 to get DNO (big electricity people) to do new substation. Now or soon (unclear) tesla or gridserve can do it, greatly speeding up process. Tesla and gridserve sharing substation even though far apart. I think gridserve and tesla have good relationship.

Last edited:
It's not really how tesla currently operate. Even on megapacks which have enormous demand and wait lists, tesla reduce prices as commodity prices reduce (for tesla, it's not the spot price, long term complex contracts). Rough rule of thumb is 20% profit max.

Tesla is currently very unusual. The Mission is key to keeping staff motivated. Without this, tesla lose the highest quality, most effective engineers.

Tesla widely share intellectual property, patents, NACS charging standard, access to superchargers without asking for money. There is a condition of not suing for patents back.

They even sent "How to build 48 volt vehicle" information to car makers and suppliers.

We're not used to long term thinking, mission driven companies. Usually expecting a short term ripoff monopoly and lots of cynicism is appropriate. Not in this case.

From 2013 https://www.tesla.com/blog/mission-tesla

More recently https://www.tesla.com/blog/master-plan-part-3
Really? Tesla is no different to any other publicly quoted company. It's beholden to its shareholders who expect a return.

Really? Tesla is no different to any other publicly quoted company. It's beholden to its shareholders who expect a return.
That doesn't necessarily mean that they have to turn a profit. Their long term strategy may be different and prioritise expansion and investment over profit-making.
IANAL but my understanding is that they are beholden to the shareholders not to run it in a a way that is obviously likely to cause it to fail, but there is no obligation to turn profit as such.

That is not an accurate statement, as far as I can tell.

Tesla have never paid a dividend to shareholders and have given no indication of when they will ever do so. Nobody buys a single share with the expectation that they will get a return.

Declaration of Interest: Elon and I own over $50 billion dollars worth of Tesla shares between us, and a few other people own the rest of the company. ;)

Looks like tesla are looking to increase sales of chargers. Might be that many future non Tesla networks might be using tesla chargers anyway. Only EV Point in uk in the near term, so might be a while coming to UK in a big way, but indicates a possible direction for us.

Post in thread 'Supercharger Revenue' Supercharger Revenue

Trying link again, it's the Alexandra Merz X post re new job at tesla Post in thread 'Supercharger Revenue' Supercharger Revenue

As to profiteering, it's detrimental to tesla. Better to have the kind of reputation that tesla enjoys with its suppliers and megapack customers:-

Reliable customer that doesn't panic cancel orders (microchips). Plenty of normal automotive suppliers suffered, many went under, but big car companies couldn't bully chip suppliers or find alternatives.

Reliable megapack/charger supplier that reduces prices when costs reduce. Customer can be confident in ordering at an increased level, not needing to hedge their orders.

Reputation becomes a commercial advantage and benefit to shareholders, especially for more sales orders, longer sales pipelines giving greater surety to tesla.

Last edited:
Reactions: ACarneiro
There is a big difference, Tesla have a much lower cost of capital than most companies due to their high cashflow and little borrowing.
It's also Tesla's mission to increase the TAM for electric cars. Part of this strategy is to increase the charging network and the attractiveness of the overall product to new customers - as such we enjoy competitive pricing.

For other networks, energy supply is their main/only product, as such they cannot take this holistic view as easily, and are more beholden to the immediate needs of their investors.

Remember also, Tesla Supercharging was initially free, and early on I recall Tesla said they did not intend to profit at all on the supercharger network. It's probably changed a little since then as the rate of expansion and capital needs for roll out have increased along with third party access, but Tesla are certainly not using this as a major profit center.