Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cancelling the pre-heating or gaming the system by setting a satnav location next to the SC is pretty selfish behaviour since you’ll be taking up a spot for longer than you need and if it’s a v2 there’s a good chance you’ll be slowing the unfortunate sod who now has to share his power to warm up your battery

Cancelling the pre-heating or gaming the system by setting a satnav location next to the SC is pretty selfish behaviour since you’ll be taking up a spot for longer than you need and if it’s a v2 there’s a good chance you’ll be slowing the unfortunate sod who now has to share his power to warm up your battery
I don't think my average 15mins is excessive, nor the fact that I regularly use the V3s at Rugby which aren't shared or Elveden so late at night that it's almost deserted (never yet been at any SuC where all stalls are full either).

Reactions: UkNorthampton

I take a completely 180 view. If I'm on a long drive to a busy v2 like Washington or Scotch Corner, then it's pointless pre-heating as I will max out to 65kW whether my battery is moderately warm or piping hot die to pre-heating. If I pre-heat, I lose out and my fellow travellers certainly gain nothing. If I've just set off say 10 minutes earlier then sure a bit of pre-heating doesn't hurt.

This is where I'd like to see much more intelligence in the pre-heating system so it looks at the type of stall I'm going to and takes into account occupancy and the temp of my battery when I'm projected to arrive

As the preheating increases how much power is needed due to it using battery power, then at a power limited site preheating will harm other users, but at a stall limited site that have excess power the preheating will result in a shorter changing time.

It unlikely preheating will ever improve other people charging experience at a v2 site.

(It is clearly different if a car have been sitting at -10c for a day and the supercharger is near to the starting point.)

A lot of construction underway at Newport Pagnell opposite the existing V2s. Not sure if more Superchargers or a third party install. It makes access to the toilets etc difficult as you have to walk down the slip road against the flow of HGVs.
These are 5 Applegreen charging posts with 10 bays. The cabinets and a further 3 charging posts with another 6 bays are located towards the back so 16 EV charging spaces are being built. They looked pretty close to being completed and I saw somebody working on the cabinets early on Saturday morning.

Access is back to “normal” which still isn’t the best. The only good point about the location is I’ve not seen them ice’ed.

Had a bit of annoying charging logic in the car navigation yesterday. Travelling south down the M1 I wanted to charge at the new Luton SC (which is great by the way), which is our exit anyway. I added the SC as a stop and the car said I’d arrive with 8/9% remaining.

But that seemed to be just on the threshold where the car wanted to redirect me to another charger en route (Newport Pagnall). The first annoyance is if you don’t immediately notice the reroute (and of course there is no audible notification) and press “remove charging stops”, you have to replan the original trip and hope it doesn’t feel the need to reroute you again. Eventually I just left it routing to Newport Pagnall with the intention of ignoring it. I had hoped as soon as I went past NP it would revert to Luton, but no - the logic preferred a round trip up and down the motorway back to NP as opposed to continuing to Luton, even though the distances were comparable and ultimately there was comfortably enough battery to get to Luton.

I had hoped/assumed the navigation would be more sophisticated than this.

Reactions: exlatccatsa
Stopped by South Mimms last night for a charge. The new dispenser bases are in, I counted 17 V3's it looked like. They can't come soon enough.

Attachments

• IMG_0213.jpg
    IMG_0213.jpg
    798.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0214.jpg
    IMG_0214.jpg
    591.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0215.jpg
    IMG_0215.jpg
    469.3 KB · Views: 17