Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if that's the best location in Leicester for more SC's. Be better to put some more just off J21 (but not fosse park is its a disaster trying to get in and out at weekends etc).
Maybe would have bene better more Thurmaston/A46 way?
I assume more near J21 won’t happen as Ionity are installing 24 at the Hilton, I do agree they would be better nearer A46 but at least they are just off the ring road. One location I’d love to see is Donington services.

Dave takes it on did an update a few days ago..
Walton Summit
I was at Tesla Manchester Central the other day which looked more advanced than the Preston one. I think there are at least 4 Tesla locations in this DNO’s area that need connecting and should all be at an advanced stage by now.

When I got my home charger fitted, I was less than impressed with this DNO who handled my case shambolically.

I also know of some other non-Tesla charging locations in the area awaiting connection. As Dave says, they need to start licensing other people to do some of the work as some of the DNOs can be bottlenecks.

I was at Tesla Manchester Central the other day which looked more advanced than the Preston one. I think there are at least 4 Tesla locations in this DNO’s area that need connecting and should all be at an advanced stage by now.

When I got my home charger fitted, I was less than impressed with this DNO who handled my case shambolically.

I also know of some other non-Tesla charging locations in the area awaiting connection. As Dave says, they need to start licensing other people to do some of the work as some of the DNOs can be bottlenecks.
Its a problem across all DNOs that I can tell and there will be an even larger backlog as HPC ultra-rapid hubs are currently in the fastest rate of planning and build in the UK that we've ever seen.

DNOs simply haven't got the resources to cope to satisfy this demand. It's a huge problem and getting worse.

Reactions: JupiterMan

Independent Distribution Network Operator already exist. I think the issue is getting DNOs to pay for stuff (contestable works?).

This explains a bit more: IDNO vs DNO

Reactions: thax1
Does anyone know how Walton Summit and Birch Services (M62) are progressing please? Having these available would make my life so much easier. Thanks.
Re: Birch, on the Superchargers app, someone added a comment this week for Birch Eastbound that the due date is now "spring 2025". No idea what the source or reliability of this statement is though. A previous comment said "spring 2024" which seemed more likely given that the stalls were built last summer. Without any other info to go on, either is possible (recalling previous UK Supercharger construction history).

Its a problem across all DNOs that I can tell and there will be an even larger backlog as HPC ultra-rapid hubs are currently in the fastest rate of planning and build in the UK that we've ever seen.

DNOs simply haven't got the resources to cope to satisfy this demand. It's a huge problem and getting worse.
Correction- DNOs have not allocated the resources to cope, as they have not been forced to by the regulators.

Reactions: Stuart1714
Lead times for new transformers and other components required to reinforce (increase) supply capacity can be up to 2 years. Couple that with not enough experienced engineers and technicians to carry out the work and it's understandable why the DNOs are struggling to cope with the demand for new connections. It doesn't help that there doesn't seem to be any penalties for not delivering connections in agreed timescales. I don't work for a DNO but am in a related industry.

Reactions: ringi
Correction- DNOs have not allocated the resources to cope, as they have not been forced to by the regulators.
I’ve worked in the utilities industry for almost 30 years, including supporting offices and IT systems for an old DNO for that very same region.

The DNOs (and some other utilities such as water), submit plans for the next five years. These get approved by the regulators. It’s not that easy for them to change track and adjust their priorities until the next 5 year cycle. The regulators need to set the priorities and targets and then also penalties if they don’t meet them. They won’t often spend extra on things that hasn’t been greed with the regulator. I’m for tougher regulators and I have shares in the utilities industry.

I remember reading the business plan for the DNO in question a few years ago. One of the targets for 2023-2028 for connecting up low carbon technology is B27 - helping customers connect low carbon technologies and has a target of “Ensuring capacity is provided in the right place and at the right time as demand increases”. Is it too much to expect that it includes sorting out the supply chain and staffing as demand increases?

Other targets relate specifically to EV chargers and heat pumps at home and unlooping power supplies.

Charging at Newbridge (Edinburgh) this afternoon and all the chargers went down. Luckily I had enough to continue my journey but I note from various apps that it appears to be still down. So if anybody is planning on using Newbridge it may be worth checking availability beforehand.
They were working again by 5pm yesterday.

I must say it was the first time in over two years that I have had range anxiety. I was aiming for Newbridge from Scotch Corner to arrive with 10% and saw them go offline as I was hitting the Edinburgh bypass. I did an immediate 3 mile divert to a Chargeplace Scotland site and found it out of action. Back on the ring road I then hit the usual long delays and was then aiming for Hartburn (with an estimate of 4 miles range left!!) but as I reached about six miles from Newbridge it showed as online but unknown number of chargers working so I went there and all was working as normal.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado and Tonybvi
New supercharger is up. Kettering.

Attachments

• 1707555575436.png
    1707555575436.png
    646.4 KB · Views: 48
  • Informative
Reactions: cezdoc
They were working again by 5pm yesterday.

I must say it was the first time in over two years that I have had range anxiety. I was aiming for Newbridge from Scotch Corner to arrive with 10% and saw them go offline as I was hitting the Edinburgh bypass. I did an immediate 3 mile divert to a Chargeplace Scotland site and found it out of action. Back on the ring road I then hit the usual long delays and was then aiming for Hartburn (with an estimate of 4 miles range left!!) but as I reached about six miles from Newbridge it showed as online but unknown number of chargers working so I went there and all was working as normal.
Thanks for that as I’ll probably need to use Newbridge again tomorrow on the way home. Luckily we were eastbound on the bypass but saw the horrendous west bound traffic. I actually said to my wife that I hoped nobody in that queue was hoping to charge at Newbridge. Glad you made it.

Reactions: Overworked