Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK centred discussion] The cat is out of the bag. True FSD will never happen for cars below HW4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would be more palatable if they called it "FSD (beta)" at least most consumers know what "beta" means ... unfinished.

But I don't think it's intentionally a con, I think Tesla underestimated the edge cases. It does what its supposed to 95% of the time, it's the 5% that feels like it's just broken and that's what makes the forums, youtube, headlines, etc.

FSD has been getting a lot better with the recent updates, so there's that.
you realise there is and never was a working FSD anywhere outside USA?
How can you say that
It does what its supposed to 95% of the time,
when it never ever did?!

Reactions: Andrew_SE23
you realise there is and never was a working FSD anywhere outside USA?
How can you say that when it never ever did?!
...or inside USA. No actual FSD here, never was, never will be. Can't even legally call it "FSD" in the state Tesla was started in, California. Outlawed the very name a couple months ago. Tesla can't advertise FSD in Germany where another factory is. Legally, it is becoming increasingly a liability as many think it will never be fully allowed to be used in most countries, no matter how good it may someday become in HW5, 6... I'm often presented with the "Camera or cameras not working or are blocked" message due to some raindrops or mist on the glass in front of them. Vision AI only? Rainstorms, fog, snow, super dark night conditions, mud drops and wet leaves covering a camera? Any of those will inhibit the system. Today I found out that almost anything on or near the roadway that is covered in snow won't show up at all.

Honestly, I wish someone will win a big class-action suit against the company for everyone who has ever paid money for the thing to get all or most of their money back. And yet, they still increase the price of this shamware.

While I never paid for FSD, or even the lower level of Enhanced Autopilot, in the two months of viewing the screen's preview of what the car "sees," I would be petrified to use FSD. Stopped for a train, the visualization shows trucks and cars crossing in front of me. It doesn't know what a train is, apparently. The green light chime works less than half the time, meaning it isn't seeing those, even if there's 5 red or green lights in front of the car. It sometimes completely misses creating a visual for a 4-way stoplight that I'm approaching. Someone slowly walking in front of me with a grocery cart doesn't show up at all, because a grocery cart confuses the system. Not one oncoming car is shown unless it passes directly in front of me, and then the lag time is a half second. It does, and without fail, will quickly visualize every single garbage can and every single traffic cone, even in the dark. That helps, I guess. Perhaps the FSD package unlocks tons more AI, but from what the car shows me so far, or doesn't show me, and from what it completely misinterprets, scares me. If one does have FSD, and necessarily needs to pay 100% attention all the time, why not just pay 100% of your own attention and drive the car yourself, as you always have, and save all that money?

Last edited:
We were told FSD will be utilising our cars during times we weren't using them - they will wander about and take people to destinations - Robotaxi. I would also be able to come out of the supermarket and summon the car - and it will come to me, the latest is I drive to where i want to go and let the car just go and find its own parking spot.
If I engage FSD on an A road - If a bus is in a bus stop layby - the car will just stop - like I'm in a traffic jam - it cant differentiate the bus in the layby and the open road in front of it, however whilst waiting for the bus to resume its journey I can watch my wipers dancing over the dry screen and at night dazzling the drivers coming towards me, oh and if there is a cyclist anywhere in sight the car has a fit and hands back control after wobbling the steering and applying the brakes.

Tesla - how the mighty has fallen.

Reactions: CWT3LR and GeoX750
I will continue to enjoy HW3 in my Model S with all the software updates to improve FSD which is currently ongoing. I would be interested in a new Tesla when it has Level 4/5 full self driving autonomy where I do not have to pay attention at all while it is driving. HW 4, 5, etc will drive more "humanlike" but you still have to pay attention at all times while the car is driving.

• Funny
Reactions: CWT3LR
So where do I put in for my FSD refund?

The one they said was coming 5 years ago and they sold as such? The one we (I) paid them actual money for, but received nothing. Yeah that one.

What are my chances in small claims!? (Good joke for a Saturday huh)

Reactions: CWT3LR

The one they said was coming 5 years ago and they sold as such? The one we (I) paid them actual money for, but received nothing. Yeah that one.

I'll get your money back for you.
DM me and I'll tell you where to send the small up front fee of £1000
I also have a great deal going on a bridge if you are interested?

Why not get in touch with one of those big law firms who took on VW over dieselgate? I jumped onto one of those and got a couple of grand compensation

Reactions: WllXM and CWT3LR
Why not get in touch with one of those big law firms who took on VW over dieselgate? I jumped onto one of those and got a couple of grand compensation
Yeah me too. A couple of large was better than a poke in the eye.

Not sure the UK FSD claimant pool would be anywhere near as large though…reckon you’d need *at least* a thousand claimants before the lawyers would get out of bed 😆

Yeah me too. A couple of large was better than a poke in the eye.

Not sure the UK FSD claimant pool would be anywhere near as large though…reckon you’d need *at least* a thousand claimants before the lawyers would get out of bed 😆
I reckon they'd get that easily, especially if they publicise the action. I reckon any lawyer would think this would be a pretty easy case to argue

Sure at 50x earnings while every other automaker is now catching-up.... enjoy the ride.

Agree that others are ramping up, but Tesla has been and continues to ramp up as they decrease their per unit costs. It's not even close.

ev 2022.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
So Tesla sold 400K cars out of 14 million US. The other marques are still feeling the water for customer interest and component stability/availability, and ready to leap in with their offerings when the time is right. And without the Tesla BS
Lithium and EV battery stocks look pretty unexciting...

So Tesla sold 400K cars out of 14 million US. The other marques are still feeling the water for customer interest and component stability/availability, and ready to leap in with their offerings when the time is right. And without the Tesla BS
Lithium and EV battery stocks look pretty unexciting...
I'll let you in on a secret Albemarle (ALB on the NYSE). Doing very well. They own alot of territory with lithium under it

selling an option that does to work in my opinion is morally wrong, at present FSD is pointless in the UK Market and currently cars minus the USS can't support the EAP functionality, no wonderMusk is so rich taking money and not delivering
Morals are the preserve of the individual - they count for absolutely nothing in our modern world, business only cares about profit, however that's true for pretty much everything else too including industry, public bodies, government the focus is always the "legal, Semantics and distraction techniques.

Reactions: MarkDave
Hey hey hey! *finally* my 2016 S90D (purchased with FSD hahaha) and updated to HW3 4 months ago.... actually self drove me from Phoenix to Prescott (3 hours of highway driving at 80-ish mph) without any 'take over' alerts or even scary driving behavior. FSD may not be perfect but it has come a LONG way and is now actually HELPFUL, reduced my stress and increased my driving comfort. Wow!

Mod comment: the thread is about FSD hardware. There is an investor area on the forum if people want to discuss market cap, share price, earnings ratios etc.

It’s also worth noting this is in the UK sub forum, our experiences of FSD are very different to the US. The US may be an indication of what might be coming one day, it’s not here yet.