Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Charge Point Installer Recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have just submitted my enquiry to Ohme as I was offered a free charger from the lease company I have ordered with. Blimey it’s an in depth process isn’t it!

Hopefully all will be ok, my install will definitely be non-standard as my drive is at the back of the house so I will have to pay for extra works.

One question I had is about eligibility for the grant. I had a charger installed at my old house about 5 years ago for an old car but I have since moved. My wife does have a phev that is eligible for the grant but we have never claimed one as we have just used a three pin socket. I assume I will be ok to claim?

I have just submitted my enquiry to Ohme as I was offered a free charger from the lease company I have ordered with. Blimey it’s an in depth process isn’t it!

Hopefully all will be ok, my install will definitely be non-standard as my drive is at the back of the house so I will have to pay for extra works.

One question I had is about eligibility for the grant. I had a charger installed at my old house about 5 years ago for an old car but I have since moved. My wife does have a phev that is eligible for the grant but we have never claimed one as we have just used a three pin socket. I assume I will be ok to claim?

Customer requirements​

A customer will qualify if they have a qualifying vehicle and property as detailed below.

A customer is not permitted to claim for a grant if they have previously claimed against the scheme (or its predecessor, the Domestic Recharge Scheme) unless they own 2 eligible electric vehicles concurrently in which case a second chargepoint grant can be claimed. This includes if they:

• have previously claimed against the Domestic Recharge Scheme
  • move property
  • purchase a new chargepoint, even if it is for a new car that is not compatible with the old one
  • update an old chargepoint to a new one
  • want to claim against the cost of moving an existing chargepoint to a new property
If a customer is moving to a new house with an old chargepoint and they wish to replace it, they would be eligible for the grant (providing that customer has not previously claimed against the scheme and all other requirements are met).

OZEV cannot provide bespoke advice on eligibility. Customers should consult with an approved EVHS installer regarding their individual circumstances and if they qualify.

If you live in Scotland, additional funding may be available from the Scottish Government via the Energy Saving Trust.

Keep the pressure on because the grant ends at the end of March and apparently the charge point must be installed (not just applied for) by then. Yes, 2 months is long enough in theory but you know how these things can drag on ....

Customer requirements​

A customer will qualify if they have a qualifying vehicle and property as detailed below.

A customer is not permitted to claim for a grant if they have previously claimed against the scheme (or its predecessor, the Domestic Recharge Scheme) unless they own 2 eligible electric vehicles concurrently in which case a second chargepoint grant can be claimed. This includes if they:

• have previously claimed against the Domestic Recharge Scheme
  • move property
  • purchase a new chargepoint, even if it is for a new car that is not compatible with the old one
  • update an old chargepoint to a new one
  • want to claim against the cost of moving an existing chargepoint to a new property
If a customer is moving to a new house with an old chargepoint and they wish to replace it, they would be eligible for the grant (providing that customer has not previously claimed against the scheme and all other requirements are met).

OZEV cannot provide bespoke advice on eligibility. Customers should consult with an approved EVHS installer regarding their individual circumstances and if they qualify.

If you live in Scotland, additional funding may be available from the Scottish Government via the Energy Saving Trust.
So by that we are eligible because we have two electric vehicles?

Good.

Reactions: Adopado
I have a MYLR on order (ETA March?) so I've been shopping around the Cambridgeshire area where I live and have a very competitive quote of £680 to install a Tesla Wall Charger 3 (I'm supplying it). This is in comparison to another quote of £1200. Both quotes are inclusive of VAT. I'll let you know my experience once it's done, date for install is only a couple of weeks away.

I have a MYLR on order (ETA March?) so I've been shopping around the Cambridgeshire area where I live and have a very competitive quote of £680 to install a Tesla Wall Charger 3 (I'm supplying it). This is in comparison to another quote of £1200. Both quotes are inclusive of VAT. I'll let you know my experience once it's done, date for install is only a couple of weeks away.
Sounds reasonable. I paid £550 for installation of a TWC3 last November (which, like you, I supplied).

Make sure the installation includes PEN protection. One of these, or equivalent:

IMG_3542.jpg

Steve

Has anyone had a Pod Point charger installed and able to help with this query?

All the installations I have seen so far seem to run off the mains supply (i.e. from the meter cupboard). Whilst this could work, I'm going to need to have a fairly long cable (7.5m to 10m) to get to my car. They won't be able to a longer cable to get the charger nearer the car as the garage/ drive is separate from the house and I understand groundworks aren't standard (nor would I want them to dig up the path).

As an alternative we have electricity in the garage with a distribution board that runs off the main distribution board in the house. It would be great if they could run the charger off this as we'd then be able to the charger nearer the car. Does anyone know if this is possible?

All the installations I have seen so far seem to run off the mains supply (i.e. from the meter cupboard). Whilst this could work, I'm going to need to have a fairly long cable (7.5m to 10m) to get to my car. They won't be able to a longer cable to get the charger nearer the car as the garage/ drive is separate from the house and I understand groundworks aren't standard (nor would I want them to dig up the path).

As an alternative we have electricity in the garage with a distribution board that runs off the main distribution board in the house. It would be great if they could run the charger off this as we'd then be able to the charger nearer the car. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Yes, it's possible. I know this because my charger was wired from the garage supply that is about 30 metres from where the mains comes into the house. It will mostly depend on the existing cabling to your garage. I was fortunate that the garage supply and consumer unit already had it's own switched supply from the house end and was via an armoured cable with sufficiently rated cores. Your mileage may well vary.

Reactions: Zanbar

Agree with what Adopado has said - very much depends on the current state of the garage consumer unit, main consumer unit and the cables in between. I'm unfortunate in that my main consumer unit is too old to cope with the load of a charge point, and the garage one can't be used because it's fed from the main one.

Ending up having to get a small new weatherproof consumer unit installed next to the meter box that they'll feed by splitting the meter tails and then running the charge point off that new consumer unit. Works out better for me since the meter box is right next to where I want the charge point.

Reactions: Adopado and Zanbar
Thanks both. Upon a closer inspection just now (and a bit of stone removal) I've noticed that there is ducting(?) under the path that takes the cable from the consumer unit in the house to the garage consumer unit which looks like it'd have space to take another cable across - so hopefully they'll be able to install on the garage (near where I park) whether they run it from the electricity meter or garage consumer unit.

Sounds reasonable. I paid £550 for installation of a TWC3 last November (which, like you, I supplied).

Make sure the installation includes PEN protection.
I'm now going down the same route as this with a local electrician. He dropped off 30m of steel armoured cable on Monday, for me to do the groundwork between my meter box and garage wall. I will supply the TWC3 and the Garo MCU with PME Fault & RCBO in an IP65 enclosure. He will connect it up. Expect it to cost a similar amount to above.

OK, mega panic levels here. Needs a charger for my Model Y (yay). Was going for the Tesla one but it seems that others such as Zappi and Hypervolt are smarter which is better (Octopus scheme to be). We are in a detached house (front parking) and I just need to get my act together before March (for both cars and grant). Essentially, any advice re Zappy vs Hypervolt - which one to choose would be appreciated. Mega threads and am all lost :( No plan to get any other electric car / bike other than the Model 3 if it makes things easier. What do I need to know about my house (300 yo cottage) when I come to choosing either?
Appreciate *any* help

OK, mega panic levels here. Needs a charger for my Model Y (yay). Was going for the Tesla one but it seems that others such as Zappi and Hypervolt are smarter which is better (Octopus scheme to be). We are in a detached house (front parking) and I just need to get my act together before March (for both cars and grant). Essentially, any advice re Zappy vs Hypervolt - which one to choose would be appreciated. Mega threads and am all lost :( No plan to get any other electric car / bike other than the Model 3 if it makes things easier. What do I need to know about my house (300 yo cottage) when I come to choosing either?
Appreciate *any* help
Urgent requirement will be ascertain the amperage of your main fuse at an older property and to confirm that you are not on a "looped supply". This is likely to be easier said than done as the fuse holder is sealed and it can be difficult to get your DNO to open it up and tell you (they don't keep records of such things). Even when there is an amps value on the outside of the fuse holder this usually represents the potential rating of the fuse holder rather than the actual value of the fuse ... yes, it's bonkers. If the DNO tells you that you are on a looped supply then you have little chance of sorting everything in time to get the grant before it ends at the end of March.

Urgent requirement will be ascertain the amperage of your main fuse at an older property and to confirm that you are not on a "looped supply". This is likely to be easier said than done as the fuse holder is sealed and it can be difficult to get your DNO to open it up and tell you (they don't keep records of such things). Even when there is an amps value on the outside of the fuse holder this usually represents the potential rating of the fuse holder rather than the actual value of the fuse ... yes, it's bonkers. If the DNO tells you that you are on a looped supply then you have little chance of sorting everything in time to get the grant before it ends at the end of March.
Thank you. Checking this today.

I'm another newish member who on the recommendation of this forum, have booked with EVC Installs for a Hypervolt in February. Ben was very responsive and replies to emails were very quick. After a chat on the phone asking loads of questions, I booked them in without waiting for other quotes to come in as the quote I got was very competitve. Plus the plenty of positive reviews on Google made it an easy decision.
Another +1 for EVC - got an installation booked for 1st week of March since the grey Hypervolt I want needs ordering in. Ben was also incredibly helpful and responsive (replying to emails at almost midnight!), and his quote was less than half of some others that I had received. A no brainer really with all the glowing reviews!

Reactions: Makeitadouble
I'm based about 10 miles east of Cambridge and got my Tesla wall charger installed the other day for £660 inc VAT and earthing unit (£110). Would happily recommend (if still an option).

Another +1 for EVC - got an installation booked for 1st week of March since the grey Hypervolt I want needs ordering in. Ben was also incredibly helpful and responsive (replying to emails at almost midnight!), and his quote was less than half of some others that I had received. A no brainer really with all the glowing reviews!

@ivanbrazza / @Makeitadouble - I spotted on hypervolts site that they offer £50 blue light/NHS discount so worth reaching out to them if you’re eligible. I reached out to them to ask if they’d honour it even if I placed my order directly with EVC and they said they will apply the discount to the installer and I should see the difference in the invoice. I’ve dropped Ben a message to see if he’s got a note from Hypervolt.

What I was very surprised with was the fact that Hypervolt replied back within 2 mins after 7pm on a Saturday and by 8pm with some further evidence of my employment they authorised the discount. I’ve never been this excited about a product and company without ever even seeing it in person

@ivanbrazza / @Makeitadouble - I spotted on hypervolts site that they offer £50 blue light/NHS discount so worth reaching out to them if you’re eligible. I reached out to them to ask if they’d honour it even if I placed my order directly with EVC and they said they will apply the discount to the installer and I should see the difference in the invoice. I’ve dropped Ben a message to see if he’s got a note from Hypervolt.

What I was very surprised with was the fact that Hypervolt replied back within 2 mins after 7pm on a Saturday and by 8pm with some further evidence of my employment they authorised the discount. I’ve never been this excited about a product and company without ever even seeing it in person
Thanks for the heads up 👍

Reactions: BatteryJuice

That's awesome thanks for pointing that out! My household is eligible so I'll reach out to Hypervolt.

Reactions: BatteryJuice