Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Charge Point Installer Recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I filled in all of the information for Ohme in order to get my charger moving forward and sent it back last Tuesday. I got a text back saying their installation partner would be in touch but I have had nothing.

I chased towards the end of the week and still nothing. A bit poor, although I know that they are busy with the deadline coming up but if they don’t get a move on I will miss it.

I filled in all of the information for Ohme in order to get my charger moving forward and sent it back last Tuesday. I got a text back saying their installation partner would be in touch but I have had nothing.

I chased towards the end of the week and still nothing. A bit poor, although I know that they are busy with the deadline coming up but if they don’t get a move on I will miss it.
I reached out to 6 different sparkies and only got quotes back from 3 of them. 2 didn't respond to initial enquiry and the third seemingly gave up on me in the middle of an email exchange.

I started reaching out at the beginning of January and got a quote I went with just a few days ago. I'd suggest reaching out to a few at once to meet the grant deadline!

If you're anywhere in the following postcodes, try API Electrical. They did a great job for me last year when I got my LR, and were really prompt to respond to queries (I have the ealier model Ohme):
  • CH, CW, SK, SY, WA.
  • DE, S.
  • BL, M, OL, WN.
  • BB, BL, FY, L, LA, M, OL, PR, WN.
  • CH, L, WA.
  • LL.
  • DY, ST, WS.
  • BB, BD, HD, HX, LA, LS, S, WF.

I am waiting on my company to issue me the confirmation letter so I can install and EV charge. Browsing getting twitchy about the deadline. The Pod point website is now advising they cannot prioritise new orders for install before the cut-off unless you are an 'automotive partner' referral.

If I miss the deadline I am tempted to get a standard external socket fitted (there's already a cable in the front wall of the house) and try it with the 3pin. I expect the EV charger costs will fall once the grant is removed much like the solar panel costs fell as the feed in tariff dropped!

Still no contact from Ohmes installation partner, AES charge.

Now exactly a week after I filled in all of the information with photos etc and about three chases.

Think I may just get onto an electrician about installing a commando socket.

This can become expensive when you include the necessary fault protection.

Just noticed that the Tesla Gen 3 Wall Connector is now £449. I've gone down this route because I want the dumbest tethered charging option. It does require a £120-£140 PEN fault protection device.

Still no contact from Ohmes installation partner, AES charge.

Now exactly a week after I filled in all of the information with photos etc and about three chases.

This may be interest:

• Informative
Reactions: milesr3
M3 due in March and was thinking of getting the Tesla charger installed and was going to ask for recommendations, but having looked up charging rates online I am no longer sure I need one. I only drive around 100 miles a week on average and the Tesla online docs say that the M3 RWD will charge at ~11mph using the normal 13A plug charger that comes with the car. So plugging the car in for around 10 hours per week should keep it topped up?

Am I correct in thinking this?

Does the 13A socket need to be anything special or will an existing one in my garage be OK (the garage is on a dedicated 30A breaker circuit)?

There is a Tesla fast charger (13kW 2 bay) at a shopping centre only a mile away if I need it.

M3 due in March and was thinking of getting the Tesla charger installed and was going to ask for recommendations, but having looked up charging rates online I am no longer sure I need one. I only drive around 100 miles a week on average and the Tesla online docs say that the M3 RWD will charge at ~11mph using the normal 13A plug charger that comes with the car. So plugging the car in for around 10 hours per week should keep it topped up?

Does the 13A socket need to be anything special or will an existing one in my garage be OK (the garage is on a dedicated 30A breaker circuit)?

There is a Tesla fast charger (13kW 2 bay) at a shopping centre only a mile away if I need it.
You might want to have an electrician check out that plug before you do. I've heard stories of people using normal 13A sockets that have melted because they or the cable feeding them weren't designed to run at 13A for extended periods of time.

Should be OK as the Tesla UMC runs at 10amps. However for the first time of use it's important to check if the plug/socket is getting hot. Though the peak current is within the specification of a 13amp socket the difference is that you will be drawing a high current for hours on end. Bear in mind that you will not have the full complement of electrical safety features that come with a proper installation and charge point. They are really for carrying around in case you are caught out or need to charge where there are no other options ... (it's true this doesn't stop people using them routinely).

Should be OK as the Tesla UMC runs at 10amps. However for the first time of use it's important to check if the plug/socket is getting hot. Though the peak current is within the specification of a 13amp socket the difference is that you will be drawing a high current for hours on end. Bear in mind that you will not have the full complement of electrical safety features that come with a proper installation and charge point. They are really for carrying around in case you are caught out or need to charge where there are no other options ... (it's true this doesn't stop people using them routinely).
LOL, laughing at myself now. Just realised that I have a hot tub outside behind the garage, it has a 3kW heater and is plugged into the same circuit and once turned on takes around 30 hours to bring the water up to temperature from cold. So the Tesla won't use any more power than this does. Better be careful not to switch them both on together though!

Reactions: RichardTheKing
LOL, laughing at myself now. Just realised that I have a hot tub outside behind the garage, it has a 3kW heater and is plugged into the same circuit and once turned on takes around 30 hours to bring the water up to temperature from cold. So the Tesla won't use any more power than this does. Better be careful not to switch them both on together though!
Ah right! Though it's the socket/plug interface that tends to be the issue if there is one. VERY good point about not having them on at the same time. If you were getting an official install of a 7kW charge point in that location you would likely find that they wouldn't do it because it won't be sufficient to promise you won't have them on at the same time! (having said that if the tub is hardwired it may be allowable for there to be an isolator switch that can only run one or other of the circuits at a time.) The big advantage of the speed is that you can more realistically take advantage of EV cheap rate charging tariffs which may only be for a few hours.

Hi can anyone recommend a EV charger installer in the Rugby area please. In addition can anyone comment on what height cable has to be fixed when fixing to a wall or when burying the cable what depth it has to be? Thanks in advance.

Hi can anyone recommend a EV charger installer in the Rugby area please. In addition can anyone comment on what height cable has to be fixed when fixing to a wall or when burying the cable what depth it has to be? Thanks in advance.
I've just had a Wallbox pulsar plus fitted by Proev (www.proev.co.uk) who did a neat job. The cable was run along the wall a few inches above ground level.
The only minor issue with the Wallbox is you can't turn the light off and its quite bright at night. Not used it yet as waiting for car but the app looks simple to use.
I'm just South of Birmingham so think they'd cover Rugby.

Attachments

• PXL_20220204_154100008.jpg
    PXL_20220204_154100008.jpg
    897 KB · Views: 80
  • PXL_20220204_154120756.jpg
    PXL_20220204_154120756.jpg
    542.7 KB · Views: 73
I've just had a Wallbox pulsar plus fitted by Proev (www.proev.co.uk) who did a neat job. The cable was run along the wall a few inches above ground level.
The only minor issue with the Wallbox is you can't turn the light off and its quite bright at night. Not used it yet as waiting for car but the app looks simple to use.
I'm just South of Birmingham so think they'd cover Rugby.
I've had the same charger for just over a year and found it very reliable - as you say the app is simple to use but does all you need.

If you want to do something about the getting the trailing cable off the floor there are a number of 'cable hangers' and such like available. I went for the cheap B&Q option (£3 from memory), described as a hose hanger.

7B7976B3-48EC-4971-872B-C02639D4340E_1_105_c.jpeg

I've had the same charger for just over a year and found it very reliable - as you say the app is simple to use but does all you need.

If you want to do something about the getting the trailing cable off the floor there are a number of 'cable hangers' and such like available. I went for the cheap B&Q option (£3 from memory), described as a hose hanger.

View attachment 765571
Yes might look at something like that, I'd hoped to have it around the corner where there is more room but it wouldn't quite reach the car unfortunately, I think I'll relocate tge holster as it's a bit close to the charger.

Hi, I’ve had a couple of quotes from installers. One mentioned informing the DNO of the intention to install and notification of completion. I thought you only had to ask upfront if the charger was over 32A, dangerous cables or looped cables. The same person wanted to add an extra RCD box to my RCD protected consumer box in the garage and insisted that we had to add the Zappi ct clamp to the mains supply and limit the Zappi down a bit to account for fridges and a heater in the garage. The other quote was going to add a Harvi to the mains and a CT on the garage supply. This then allows the Zappi to cap garage supply to a max of 32A and measure the mains as per Olev and export once I get solar. Hmm, I hate to question the pros but….

Edit: worth pointing out I have a 100A fuse in a new build with isolator too