Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK FSD Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn't hold my breathe. This is what the DfT told me a while ago via my MP
In order to be offered for sale, a vehicle must have been type-approved. This is the process whereby a vehicle is confirmed that it meets the minimum regulatory requirements. Many of the requirements that were retained in Great Britain when we left the European Union were developed internationally through the UN-ECE World Forum for Harmonization of Vehicle Regulations. The UK is a signatory to the Agreement under which these international regulations are made. UN-ECE Regulation 79, to which your constituent refers, is one which the UK has adopted and so is obliged to accept vehicles fitted with systems approved to that Regulation onto the road.

The UK is an active member of the UN-ECE forum and work has begun to review UN-ECE Regulation 79 in anticipation of allowing greater flexibility in what is permitted and address its current deficiencies. We will take the opportunity, in collaboration with other global partners, to consider if it is safe and appropriate to permit enhanced assistance in the Regulation and where
improvements should be made.

Which sounds to me like they are involved in making the current regs so are unlikely to diverge.

I wouldn't hold my breathe. This is what the DfT told me a while ago via my MP

Which sounds to me like they are involved in making the current regs so are unlikely to diverge.
I do not think that is correct.

The bill is based on work by the law commission, which was explicit in describing new legislation that would be available in the UK separately to UNECE compliance.

The Bill talks about the UK Secretary of State having powers to authorise automated vehicles, and the bill discusses a framework for such approvals, which to me appears very different to UNECE rules.

Tesla treats UK as EU, doesn’t it?
at the moment, yes.

But should UK (or any other UNECE member state) allow their own separate rules, then Tesla are placed well to take advantage on a country by country basis I would think.

Reactions: Buckminster
But should UK (or any other UNECE member state) allow their own separate rules, then Tesla are placed well to take advantage on a country by country basis I would think.
If they can be bothered, developing, testing and getting approved for a specific countries regulations is an expensive business.

Also what happens if you take your car to visit another country, does it need to change behaviour based on location and how will that be communicated to drivers in a way that is safe.

There are many challenges with divergence in a connected continent.

The Automated Driving Bill is pending Report stage date in House of Commons at present, but even once complete that is still 6 months for transport secretary to arrange for an authorising authority to be set up before they even start the work of assessing self-drive systems. No earlier date of first approval by end of 2026 was the last I heard. Even then it’s legally a restriction within the UNECE framework, rather than an alternate.

If they can be bothered, developing, testing and getting approved for a specific countries regulations is an expensive business.
It is, lucky they charge so much for it. If 10k cars in the UK had it (which if it worked isn't unreasonable) at £6.8k a go thats £68m. The core engine is built, this is just needs to cover the localisation elements.

Fast forward 2034 and peeps will still be talking on here about FSD version 26.0.0 or similar.
Glad that one by one, peeps come to terms with autonomous cars roaming around the countryside as a pipe dream for decades atleast.
Approving/monitoring every decision now - is a joke to say the least. I feel sorry for those out there who parted with thousands of pounds for a FSD bolt on only to realise that it is a marketing gimmick with no teeth.

Fast forward 2034 and peeps will still be talking on here about FSD version 26.0.0 or similar.
Glad that one by one, peeps come to terms with autonomous cars roaming around the countryside as a pipe dream for decades atleast.
Approving/monitoring every decision now - is a joke to say the least. I feel sorry for those out there who parted with thousands of pounds for a FSD bolt on only to realise that it is a marketing gimmick with no teeth.
In the UK I find it remarkable that anyone elected to buy the FSD license, when there’s not even a vague timeline for a regulatory framework to even make the use of the FSD features possible, let alone any clarity on what those features offer in practical terms. I get that some will have bought a used vehicle with FSD already factory applied of course :)

Yet thousands have bought FSD as an aftermarket download.It's not as if they are buying a normal car accessory - this is serious money (circa £6800??). Naive doesn't even come close.
It's truly amazing what marketing hype can do.

I haven’t watched many FSD beta videos. Does it seem like it performs better on USA highways, than the phantom braking that is often seen on UK motorways?

I’ve pretty much given up on seeing FSD in the UK, but I DID expect (hope?) autopilot to get better in the UK as a side effect.

It feels like it has been pretty much the same for years.

(I still reckon Autopilot got worse in the UK when it started monitoring other lanes.)

Last edited:
Reactions: zoros
Robotaxi will be announced (again) 8/8.. I can’t for the life of me think it will anywhere other than the US, and it might be a new car shape, maybe one where the front seats face the backwards so we can all get in and chat whilst being driven along.. no steering wheel.. but whatever it looks like, it needs FSD to be L4+ which is a legal mile away from where it is now.

It will be interesting to see if Robotaxi comes with a different sensor architecture.

LIDAR seems unthinkable for Elon, but I expect more cameras and in different locations to ensure full visibility with zero blind spots.

And a new Autopilot computer is almost certain, for more compute overhead and/or redundancy.

Robotaxi will be announced (again) 8/8.. I can’t for the life of me think it will anywhere other than the US, and it might be a new car shape, maybe one where the front seats face the backwards so we can all get in and chat whilst being driven along.. no steering wheel.. but whatever it looks like, it needs FSD to be L4+ which is a legal mile away from where it is now.
It’s going to be a repeat of the Optimus thing with a guy dancing around pretending to be a robot.

This Robotaxi will probably drive a predefined route, picking up an employee, before driving a bit further. Probably all remote controlled with one of those Tamiya RC car transmitters.

It’s a shameless attempt to pump the stock in my opinion.

It’s going to be a repeat of the Optimus thing with a guy dancing around pretending to be a robot.

This Robotaxi will probably drive a predefined route, picking up an employee, before driving a bit further. Probably all remote controlled with one of those Tamiya RC car transmitters.

It’s a shameless attempt to pump the stock in my opinion.
And yet Reuters are being slammed by the faithful for market manipulation. It’s the type of thing where those with extreme views either way show their colours - I guess I’m more in the “I’ll believe it when I see it” camp now when it comes to Tesla hence a touch of cynicism.

I think he will show something, I can see it being a signpost to his longer term goals, but that doesn’t feel like a “here’s the $25k Model 2 and we’re starting production in January” sort of news that would counter Reuters

Reactions: Durzel and Simavon
Only yesterday in heavy rain, coming back from the airport; every 5 minutes or so - various messages came up saying anything from: pillar cameras obscured, or lane deviation error, or camera obstructions.....and FSD relies 100% on cameras - no?
In fact almost every other day in any precipitation - my pillar cameras steam up and an error message is promulgated on screen.