Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Hands free (Level 2) driving has arrived

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had watched this a couple of weeks back in its entirety. At the time I thought it was a very finessed system compared with Teslas offering.

For anyone interested it’s worth a look in it’s entirety. I don’t know who the guy is but he certainly knows his stuff across multiple cars and manufacturers as a baseline comparison.

In light of the regulatory approval of this system in UK and comments on here, I just watched the first 10 minutes again to remind myself of the history of BlueCruise 1.2. It also highlights how some manufacturers are not unsurprisingly cautious to how they release updates with OTA updates rolling out to earlier models over a longer period of time. It also highlights just how well some manufacturers have paid attention to the interaction between driver and vehicle, especially driver feedback. Iirc Tesla we’re imho quite rightly deducted points for lack of driver feedback in some UK tests by reputable organisations a couple of years back.

Imho if we do not see an equivalent or better response to this by Tesla in the next 3 months it will just highlight to lack of focus that Tesla have outside their home region.

As a complete aside, I’ve never been a fan of the Mach-e, but I must admit it looks rather nice in ‘papaya’ orange.
Just been reading a consumers report rating different self driving systems and it claims Tesla has been knocked into seventh position, with Ford Blue Cruise at number 1. Hope Tesla get their fingers out and deliver as there is only four to the bottom of the league.

Attachments

• Post.2.png
    Post.2.png
    178 KB · Views: 86
  • Post.1.png
    Post.1.png
    180.7 KB · Views: 52
  • Informative
Reactions: CWT3LR
Last night I was driving back late, on AP, and I got to the M4/M5 junction heading from M4 East to M5 south. The lane I was in gets very wide then splits (left to A38, right to M5). The car aimed straight for the end of the armco. This is not a "once or twice per car ownership" event as described above. AP is not fit for purpose, not remotely close, and this behaviour hasn't improved at all in the over 3 years I've had the car.

Last night I was driving back late, on AP, and I got to the M4/M5 junction heading from M4 East to M5 south. The lane I was in gets very wide then splits (left to A38, right to M5). The car aimed straight for the end of the armco. This is not a "once or twice per car ownership" event as described above. AP is not fit for purpose, not remotely close, and this behaviour hasn't improved at all in the over 3 years I've had the car.
This behaviour seems quite predictable, and isn't something I find particularly problematic to work around. The reduced workload on a long journey is a real benefit, I'm less convinced that AP would safely bring the car to a stop if I passed out whilst driving. I do find the 'hands on' detection pretty unreliable so I'd be happy to move to a camera scheme if it was consistent.

It can't handle lane splits at all.. it either wobbles side to side then picks the right hand one or in your case just tries to go straight down the middle.

I presume they don't happen in the US so Tesla don't care.

To be fair, if you're just talking about basic standard AP, not EAP/FSD, that is all it claims to do. It is only meant to be very basic lane keeping that shoots for the centre of the detected lane. Where a lane gradually widens then suddenly splits as you describe (presumably this one?)...
junction.png

...it absolutely will just centralise itself in the widening lane then probably have a stroke when it suddenly sees the split marking. But that's all it is intended to do, and will tell you that in the manual.

EAP with NOA should handle that properly. I don't have that, nor do I live in the UK, so have no idea if it would or not. Sucks if it would do the same as basic AP.

EAP with NOA should handle that properly. I don't have that, nor do I live in the UK, so have no idea if it would or not. Sucks if it would do the same as basic AP.
Spoiler alert, it pretty much does same as regular AP, although did improve over time, and also start to slow on offramps, much against what some would claim as nothing changed with autopilot. Early days, it was quite some rollercoaster, frightening when it first did it (before realising it was normal), with car ping ponging between lanes at an offramp split - I once had some dashcam footage of car exceeding road boundary on exit ramp. It eventually calmed down and is a lot gentler, but I would still never use it if another car or family was around and disengage much earlier. Never convinced that there was any logic to what lane it chose although now on my regular offramp, it no longer seems to pick the outer lane, so in this case, it would appear to be doing to correct thing as I am wanting inside lane for a left turn - but I do not believe it would do the opposite if I wanted to be turning right.

Spoiler alert, it pretty much does same as regular AP, although did improve over time, and also start to slow on offramps, much against what some would claim as nothing changed with autopilot. Early days, it was quite some rollercoaster, frightening when it first did it (before realising it was normal), with car ping ponging between lanes at an offramp split - I once had some dashcam footage of car exceeding road boundary on exit ramp. It eventually calmed down and is a lot gentler, but I would still never use it if another car or family was around and disengage much earlier. Never convinced that there was any logic to what lane it chose although now on my regular offramp, it no longer seems to pick the outer lane, so in this case, it would appear to be doing to correct thing as I am wanting inside lane for a left turn - but I do not believe it would do the opposite if I wanted to be turning right.

Go right tomorrow and see! :)

Are we missing the point that autopilot, EAP and FSD isn’t really being actively developed outside of the USA right now.

Very little has changed since it was first implemented.

I expect that if Tesla focused on a narrow set of features (E.g. dropping FSD and smart summon), it would be a lot better than it is right now globally.

As it stands, FSD seems to work ok in the USA but it’s pretty bad everywhere else.

Are those being developed even in USA? Seems to me that all that is being developed is FSD-Beta (albeit that perhaps all Americans who have bought FSD are in the Beta program ...)

That's true I believe, but as far as I understand it, isn't the whole point of the legendary 'Single Stack' that is rolling out currently (?) that it will do everything? I.e. the code behind FSD-beta will also be providing EAP and even basic AP features. So now/soon/Elon-soon everyone will effectively get an update of AP/EAP and whatever counts for FSD (not beta) outside the US.

It just might make all those features even worse 'temporarily'.

isn't the whole point of the legendary 'Single Stack' that is rolling out currently (?) that it will do everything?

Yup, I agree, but only once that migrates from "FSD-Beta" to us plebs!

Seems to me that AP, EAP, and FSD will be replaced by "Single Stack" once that is deemed "good enough", or whatever the criteria is. Regulations may then mean that some things are nobbled for some regions

To be fair, if you're just talking about basic standard AP, not EAP/FSD, that is all it claims to do. It is only meant to be very basic lane keeping that shoots for the centre of the detected lane. Where a lane gradually widens then suddenly splits as you describe (presumably this one?)...
View attachment 929165
...it absolutely will just centralise itself in the widening lane then probably have a stroke when it suddenly sees the split marking. But that's all it is intended to do, and will tell you that in the manual.

I paid for fsd back in 2019. You don’t get much for your money. I haven’t turned NoA on for ages as it’s too crippled here to be much use in my experience.

Seems to me that AP, EAP, and FSD will be replaced by "Single Stack" once that is deemed "good enough", or whatever the criteria is. Regulations may then mean that some things are nobbled for some regions

Let’s not muddy the waters between single stack the software and AP, EAP, FSD the features.

Single stack will not suddenly turn AP into EAP let alone FSD. They all have a completely different set of features. If something is going to be ‘knobbled’ by regulation, it’s going to have been knobbled by that same regulation right now. Single stack should bring feature equivalence to what we already have, like for like, just hopefully better. That is until FSD owners get the city streets functionality that’s been long promised 😂

Single stack, or rather the current FSD-beta, once it matures, will become FSD and from there the replacements for EAP and AP

Unless I have misunderstood your emphasis?
Single stack is the implementation. AP, EAP and FSD are the feature sets that use that implementation, or various bits of that implementation depending on the feature set.

Eg Just because FSD (city streets) beta does lane change etc doesn’t mean that AP will do it at all or EAP will do it on city streets. For that matter, FSD UK style may not do city streets either, but then it doesn’t at present either, even though promised for end 2019.

Single stack is just the new way of doing things. The feature sets of AP, EAP and (currently UK) FSD remain unchanged. At some point some of the City Streets features of FSD City Streets beta may make it to UK, but I’m not holding my breath nor expecting to see any of the city streets functionality make it to AP or EAP other than a better implementation of what functionality they have now, ie TACC/autosteer etc in AP and NoA/auto lane change/summon/auto park et al in EAP. Autosteer on city streets is an FSD city streets beta thing, and any non highways autosteer vehicle behaviour outside the US/Can FSD city streets beta is purely coincidental, even for UK FSD owners.

That's true I believe, but as far as I understand it, isn't the whole point of the legendary 'Single Stack' that is rolling out currently (?) that it will do everything? I.e. the code behind FSD-beta will also be providing EAP and even basic AP features. So now/soon/Elon-soon everyone will effectively get an update of AP/EAP and whatever counts for FSD (not beta) outside the US.

It just might make all those features even worse 'temporarily'.
Liam, don't hold up much hope Tesla cant even sort out Park Assist, park, summons and special summons what hope is there for FSD. Were heading for the bottom of the pile.

Liam, don't hold up much hope Tesla cant even sort out Park Assist, park, summons and special summons what hope is there for FSD. Were heading for the bottom of the pile.
It’s not getting better, it’s worse now than before. My 2020 M3P with FSD in UK works far better than my 2023 MYP with FSD. They need to bring back LiDAR and retrofit them into the other cars… which isn’t going to happen. The Tesla Vision is just rubbish on cameras only compared to the LiDAR and Sensor model cars. By the time the parking vision has loaded in the morning I’m half way down the road. Tesla have got to start rolling out some benefits that work outside of California.