Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Hands free (Level 2) driving has arrived

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BlueCruise hands free driving has been approved for use in the UK. It looks like legislation is no longer a barrier as some others will make you believe.

But is level 2... I can't see hands free, for make calls, of course .
It's hands free if on the pre-mapped roads, no need to nudge the steering wheel. Cabin camera will complain if it can see you're not paying attention to the road.

Edit: To add, there are 2300 miles of motorway in the UK, so from the article I'd assume that the pre-mapped roads are the entirety of the UK motorway network.

Last edited:
Tested for just 100,000 miles. Eek. Ford BlueCruise: Hands Free Driving Technology | Ford UK

Is it speed limited?

“Driver’s eyes must remain on the road ahead to enable safe use of Ford BlueCruise hands-free driving. It remains the driver’s responsibility to ensure safe driving at all times.”

What are you supposed to do with your hands whilst looking at the road the whole time? Other than the nags, does this really give any benefit over AP?

What are you supposed to do with your hands whilst looking at the road the whole time?
kia122013b.jpg

Reactions: Zilla91
It’s good they’re putting pressure on Tesla, including on price, and these things help debunk the usual “it’s not Tesla’s fault it’s crippled in the uk, it’s the regulations” which many come out with, but for me, we don’t really need to push level 2 any further, the really useful development we need is level 3 or above.

If I need to pay attention, I need to pay attention. The step change is when I don’t need to pay attention.