Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Model 3 order page open!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the penny pinching/FOMO that Tesla use is really off-putting.

Tesla need cash, simple as that. Only people who have the cash need apply ... at this point in time. Tesla will up-sell you all the way to the bank ... I'm sure cheaper will be here over time, and probably before other brands achieve that (because Tesla have end-to-end supply withe Battery+Car)

If that's the case then the reservation didn't make much time difference?

Yup. Made a difference to folk initially when production was low, but now that production is heading for 10,000 a week then wait time is short.

I never placed a deposit ... I got sucked in the first time around with Tesla, and Promises were always late (that's fine, Elon plan is aggressive, and even if delivered late he usually gets there), but on every launch people have been saying "I was first in line, why is Elon prioritising people later in the queue who want the Most Expensive, Highest Profit model?" ... well it's not rocket science is it? and Elon does that too of course ...

So I am placing order today instead, and as existing Tesla owner (based on experience elsewhere in the world) my order will be prioritised. I suppose that is because it is know that I must be a fan and unlikely to be troublesome - compared to a brand new, walk-in, punter

Am I supposed to be able to use a referral code for Model-3? Can't remember ... but I certainly can't see it.

Can't even find my referral code on My Tesla page ...

You will find it when you download the Tesla App. You are quite welcome to use my referral code. Free Supercharger Miles.

Clicking on that [my referral] link I get opportunity to buy either Model-S or Model-X ... so either website not functional yet, or I have mis-remembered about the 500% referral boost being also applicable to Model-3

Apparently my referrals to date have saved an average of 4,000 gallons of Gasoline each - that's 200,000 miles each ... they must all be 24/7 taxi companies

Just ordered a SR+ in Midnight Silver. Price inc. Docs etc. was just below £40,000, so I am hoping to not pay £310 a year road tax. Delivery in June!
Should you want to use my referral code with the offer of extra supercharger miles it is:-
Free Supercharger Miles

You will pay luxury car tax. It's calculated on the list price before PICG, the sub £40k price includes it.

So the overall cost of your vehicle will be £40,500, assuming you didn't select any options like paint or interior upgrades.

The first £320 road tax will be due after the first year of ownership, in 2020.

• Informative
Reactions: cizUK
I'm not seeing the £1000 deposit deducted from the order price. Anyone else? I've gone to the order page after logging in, and without logging in - same price - and no mention anywhere of deposit.

It shows up in the final invoice.

Just ordered SR+ with upgraded wheels, premium interior and FSD.

Wonder if delivery in June is realistic...

They've moved some of the EAP features into the new FSD. I'd get it now if I were you.

Is it worth £5000? What do you actually get?

- Auto parking
- NOA, i.e. changes lanes automatically but only if you have your hands on the wheel and you are supposed to be monitoring it at all times
- Enhanced summon, nice party trick but of limited practical use

They are not making this the easy no brainer decision I had hoped for :( (they = combination of government & Tesla). Perhaps someone can help me with this.

Current situation: Looking to swap my 44k miles, 2l petrol 2011 Seat Leon, which is wholly owned, chipped to 250bhp and in good nick. For ease of reference, its basically a curvy Golf GTi. Its our primary long distance car, and we also have a 4yo Suzuki Swift for city driving. We only do about 8-10k miles a year in the Leon, but when we do go in it, its often loaded with a roofbox and either towing a small boat, or with bikes on a towball mounted bike rack. It's getting on and some problems are starting to show, worst of which will likely lead to a clutch needing replaced at some point in the future, and the wheels seem to be getting harder to balance each time I swap between winter and summer tyres.

We are based in Edinburgh, and most miles are done up and down to Inverness (163 miles of potentially pretty nasty weather), beyond that to Ullapool, and down to the Skipton area. The Inverness trip is of particular concern as I don't think that in the winter or on a windy day the SR+ will make it without a stop for a charge (checked via a better route planner), the other ones we would be stopping any way, and going south there are more superchargers.

So looking at LR, or RWD LR, which is potentially £49k worth of car, without FSD. Guessing £45k for RWD LR, waiting to hear if its available.

I had convinced myself at around £40k this is all fine, paying to access the future, save the planet etc. But,
  • no towball (I think it needs to be in place when you buy the car so your VIN plate gets the approval stamp),
  • no hatch back (this will be my first car since my first 1.0 corsa I had at Uni that I can't get a fridge, or a rubble sack of gardening waste in)
  • it doesn't even save me much as we don't do enough miles (checked actual data and I spend £1000 on petrol in the last year),
  • tax is MORE than my current fossil burner
  • servicing will save some, but I'm not clear on what the M3 reqs are other than 'not yearly'? Looks like brake fluid every 3 years and a battery coolant every ????
These are all somewhat addressable (could put a towball on the swift which would uncomfortably address some scenarios, the total luggage space is bigger, so could drop the roof box possibly and put bikes on the roof [urg, the range hit on that one!], live without the hatch, money is just money for fuel and tax etc). But these seem like a hell of a lot of compromises for a £50k car!

Please help me justify this - I really want an M3, but am having a hard time selling it to myself after seeing the prices this morning. What am I missing?

Avendit

Is it worth £5000? What do you actually get?

- Auto parking
- NOA, i.e. changes lanes automatically but only if you have your hands on the wheel and you are supposed to be monitoring it at all times
- Enhanced summon, nice party trick but of limited practical use
On my Model S in the UK, I use summon every day. I use auto lane change every time I'm on autopilot on the motorway which is 1-2 times a week. I use auto parking once a month/

They are not making this the easy no brainer decision I had hoped for :( (they = combination of government & Tesla). Perhaps someone can help me with this.

Current situation: Looking to swap my 44k miles, 2l petrol 2011 Seat Leon, which is wholly owned, chipped to 250bhp and in good nick. For ease of reference, its basically a curvy Golf GTi. Its our primary long distance car, and we also have a 4yo Suzuki Swift for city driving. We only do about 8-10k miles a year in the Leon, but when we do go in it, its often loaded with a roofbox and either towing a small boat, or with bikes on a towball mounted bike rack. It's getting on and some problems are starting to show, worst of which will likely lead to a clutch needing replaced at some point in the future, and the wheels seem to be getting harder to balance each time I swap between winter and summer tyres.

We are based in Edinburgh, and most miles are done up and down to Inverness (163 miles of potentially pretty nasty weather), beyond that to Ullapool, and down to the Skipton area. The Inverness trip is of particular concern as I don't think that in the winter or on a windy day the SR+ will make it without a stop for a charge (checked via a better route planner), the other ones we would be stopping any way, and going south there are more superchargers.

So looking at LR, or RWD LR, which is potentially £49k worth of car, without FSD. Guessing £45k for RWD LR, waiting to hear if its available.

I had convinced myself at around £40k this is all fine, paying to access the future, save the planet etc. But,
  • no towball (I think it needs to be in place when you buy the car so your VIN plate gets the approval stamp),
  • no hatch back (this will be my first car since my first 1.0 corsa I had at Uni that I can't get a fridge, or a rubble sack of gardening waste in)
  • it doesn't even save me much as we don't do enough miles (checked actual data and I spend £1000 on petrol in the last year),
  • tax is MORE than my current fossil burner
  • servicing will save some, but I'm not clear on what the M3 reqs are other than 'not yearly'? Looks like brake fluid every 3 years and a battery coolant every ????
These are all somewhat addressable (could put a towball on the swift which would uncomfortably address some scenarios, the total luggage space is bigger, so could drop the roof box possibly and put bikes on the roof [urg, the range hit on that one!], live without the hatch, money is just money for fuel and tax etc). But these seem like a hell of a lot of compromises for a £50k car!

Please help me justify this - I really want an M3, but am having a hard time selling it to myself after seeing the prices this morning. What am I missing?

Avendit
Sounds like you'd be better off with a used Model S - no road tax, hatchback, loads of luggage space, free Supercharging, much cheaper to buy.

Reactions: WannabeOwner