Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Model 3 order page open!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do wonder if it would be possible to replace/upgrade battery pack once the constraints are eased. With Roadster having 600+ mile range not too hard to imagine a model 3 in 5 years having 600+ range. Would be cool if you could do a battery swap for 10k or something like that.

I've got a Model 3 Performance on order with white interior. I've just noticed these 'changes'... What are my options? Do I have to cancel and re-order (and lose white interior) or will they be able to adjust the price of my current order?

Help!

I've got a Model 3 Performance on order with white interior. I've just noticed these 'changes'... What are my options? Do I have to cancel and re-order (and lose white interior) or will they be able to adjust the price of my current order?

Help!
They will adjust the price. Don't do anything at this stage. The white interior option is being re-instated in any case.

I’m not sure what to think at the moment, this has definitely taken away the excitement as I’m now feeling like we’re being screwed for ordering the LW AWD early. Right now I’m seeing that I ordered on day one and had this:

Base SR+ = £38,050
Base LW = £47,050 (ordered with FSD discounted) + Blue
Base PF = £56,050

And now it’s this:

Base SR+ = £38,050
Base PF = £48,590

The performance being lowered that much surely means LW is worth less? I really wanted the PF too. Thoughts anyone?

Reactions: navt and ediflyer
I do wonder if it would be possible to replace/upgrade battery pack once the constraints are eased. With Roadster having 600+ mile range not too hard to imagine a model 3 in 5 years having 600+ range. Would be cool if you could do a battery swap for 10k or something like that.
Sadly not possible. Roadster has dual battery layer under the floor. Model 3 has only space for a single layer.
What may be possible is to replace the single layer battery pack with a 2024 Model 3 battery pack, which would likely incorporate new tech (Maxwell?) giving you maybe 400? miles range and a longer life. However it would likely be a better bet to just trade the car in and buy a new one with all those benefits and 5 years of non-battery improvements too.

• Disagree
Reactions: arg
I’m not sure what to think at the moment, this has definitely taken away the excitement as I’m now feeling like we’re being screwed for ordering the LW AWD early. Right now I’m seeing that I ordered on day one and had this:

Base SR+ = £38,050
Base PF = £56,050

And now it’s this:

Base SR+ = £38,050
Base PF = £48,590

The performance being lowered that much surely means LW is worth less? I really wanted the PF too. Thoughts anyone?
Given they are matching cars to customers when the boat gets to the Netherlands, I suspect people may get offers of not-quite-matching cars (for quick delivery). If this happens you (and I in fact) might get offered a Performance model at the new price, if that is what is on the boat, if they cannot match me to a LR AWD. I might take the upgrade at this new price if offered. We will see!

Base SR+ = £38,050
Base PF = £56,050

And now it’s this:

Base SR+ = £38,050
Base PF = £48,590

The LR AWD with FSD I ordered is 53,750, the equivalent base performance model is 56,190. Happy not to pay almost 2,500 extra for a slightly faster car :)

Reactions: ediflyer
I feel the opposite - it seems mad not to go for that upgrade when I'm spending nearly as much on paint.

I ordered LR AWD as soon as orders opened and the 'edit' button has now gone. I sent sales an email asking to change to performance (no performance upgrade package). In theory it's just a software difference so I'm hoping it doesn't affect delivery times. It would be a shame to have to wait for the next boat! Oh well..

I feel the opposite - it seems mad not to go for that upgrade when I'm spending nearly as much on paint.

I ordered LR AWD as soon as orders opened and the 'edit' button has now gone. I sent sales an email asking to change to performance (no performance upgrade package). In theory it's just a software difference so I'm hoping it doesn't affect delivery times. It would be a shame to have to wait for the next boat! Oh well..

If I were to do the same and go all out, it’s the (current?) lack of white seats that would put me off :)

Don’t forget to speak to your insurers. Seems mad to get a car which accelerates to 60 in 3.2 without upgraded wheels, brakes and suspension.

Reactions: ediflyer and goRt
Don’t forget to speak to your insurers. Seems mad to get a car which accelerates to 60 in 3.2 without upgraded wheels, brakes and suspension.

You're right insurance will be more. I don't think not getting the performance upgrade package is an issue though. I prefer stealth mode with better efficiency.

I won't be taking it to the track (which insurance wouldn't cover anyway). The limit of tires ratings is speed and I won't be taking it on the Autobahn. Big brakes just take longer to overheat on the track - don't need that. Upgraded suspension is for reducing roll in high speed cornering.

All these things could be upgraded later but have little to do with acceleration.

That was yesterday.. today Elon tweeted something different. Elon Musk on Twitter

Whether the UK is a 'high volume market' nobody knows.

I think it is. Relative to Japan, which was the context of the Tweet. As I understand it, the loss of white interior option was a sweeping change made across all RHD markets. But they will be adding it back to the higher volume ones of those (like the UK) shortly. I'm pretty sure that's what will happen.

I've found this whole change incredibly frustrating. Ordered LR AWD/MSM/FSD - sounds like this will still be delivered, but differential to P w/PP has come right down and of course we're yet to see how the insurance companies handle this non-standard model (as LR AWD has become) and what will happen to resale value :(
Totally agree, it’s really frustrating. If I didn’t want the car so much then I would have cancelled it by now (still might if they keep messing around, i’ve also had technical issues with my order which has lead to many calls!). I feel the service is far from the level that we’re paying for.

Reactions: ediflyer
I feel the service is far from the level that we’re paying for

If you went to a dealer instead you would get "Can't get you white seats for love nor money Sir", when Dealer being told by manufacturer that no production capacity available / option temporarily dropped, and you'd believe them / put up with it / go elsewhere. Tesla direct sales means they only have the option to change the RRP / List, visible to all on the web. Tesla also young / naive so less experience of the markets and what they might order (if, indeed, white-seats is a more frequent choice in UK vs. USA, for example)

But, yeah, change-change-change is annoying for many. You will either buy today because they have what you want ... and tomorrow you will find that Towbar you wanted is available, or LR replaced with Performance that you wanted ... or you will find that LR that you wanted is no longer available and replaced by Performance which is too expensive for you to buy / insure ...

I assume Tesla is selling all it can make, twiddling the demand levers, and once demand dies down there will be better offers, more choice, available in the Second Wave. For anyone not in a hurry, or exactly what they want not available ... or anyone of a nervous disposition on price :rolleyes: it would be better to wait. We aren't exactly buying a new, out of the gate, model ... its been available in the USA for some time to have been debugged ... so its basically just "new market", but other cars that are new-model (particularly "First high volume, long range, EV" for a Brand), are having a whole series of issues all their own too ...

If you don't want to be an early adopter I think folk would be better to wait for Tesla to calm down. Every single time they have had a new model they have gouged the market for the high-value sales first (seems like a good business model for me ...) which favours anyone wanting to sit and wait for a bit.

Due to these latest spec changes I tried to update my M3P order online to drop the 20" wheels and change to black interior etc. It was showing a saving of about £8k over my original order, but wouldn't save the new configuration. This morning I notice that the edit spec button has now disappeared. So I've fired off an email querying it. There's no way I'm paying £8k extra for stuff I really don't want. I'll cancel the order if necessary and start again! I would still prefer the white interior and don't mind paying £950 for that option, so I'm hoping I can just amend my original order without the Performance upgrade at the revised price. I don't care if it delays delivery, it's too much of a saving to ignore.