Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Model 3 Performance 2021 Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally haven't heard of anybody having their VIN changed or rescinded but I don't doubt it will have happened at some point.
It happened a lot when model 3s first came out in the UK. In the period between ordering open (May 1st 2019) and the main set of deliveries* starting (August 2019) some people had 3 or 4 different VINs assigned (I had 2 myself, the second being the car I actually got).

I suspect it happens less these days due to a lower backlog and less complication around reservation date vs order date, but still possible and worth flagging that just because you've been assigned a VIN doesn't guarantee you'll get a car, or if you do that it will actually be that one (although in the vast majority of cases, it probably will).

* Yes, there were some token deliveries in June 2019, but the main thrust didn't start till August.

• Informative
Reactions: Jez_GB
It happened a lot when model 3s first came out in the UK. In the period between ordering open (May 1st 2019) and the main set of deliveries* starting (August 2019) some people had 3 or 4 different VINs assigned (I had 2 myself, the second being the car I actually got).

I suspect it happens less these days due to a lower backlog and less complication around reservation date vs order date, but still possible and worth flagging that just because you've been assigned a VIN doesn't guarantee you'll get a car, or if you do that it will actually be that one (although in the vast majority of cases, it probably will).

* Yes, there were some token deliveries in June 2019, but the main thrust didn't start till August.
That's interesting and I definitely wasn't aware of it. Thanks for the insight. I am new to the Tesla brand so am learning as I go along.

I wanted the VIN to talk to insurers with... I've heard examples of not receiving a Reg No. until a couple of days beforehand, and the sweet spot for insurance is coming up at the start of June so wanted something tangible for them to quote on :)
They should be able to give you a quote against the model, you shouldn't need a VIN, or reg, then you just add those to finalise the policy at, or just before collection.

Reactions: MrBadger
I personally haven't heard of anybody having their VIN changed or rescinded but I don't doubt it will have happened at some point.
Hello! VIN changed on day of collection. They 'lost' our original vehicle so gave us someone else's.

And past history of many other vehicles being reallocated in transit, certainly in the early days. Made worse by people looking in the source code for their VIN so getting an early peek.

They should be able to give you a quote against the model, you shouldn't need a VIN, or reg, then you just add those to finalise the policy at, or just before collection.

Absolutely, the only benefit a VIN gives the insurer is to identify an exact make/model etc. That can just as easily be entered manually.

You need the reg number to start cover but you don't need the cover to start until just before collection/delivery. To put insurance in place and get a price (ie a firm quote), you do not need a VIN or registration and you can normally do that well before collection - quotes are typically valid for 30 days. Once you have a quote in place, as long as it doesn't expire, when you know your reg no and collection date, just firm up the quote and start your cover based on it - easy to do with a human on the other end of the phone/chat. If your cover start date changes there may be a slight pro rata price difference, but it will only be a few £.

Last edited:
  • Funny
I wanted the VIN to talk to insurers with... I've heard examples of not receiving a Reg No. until a couple of days beforehand, and the sweet spot for insurance is coming up at the start of June so wanted something tangible for them to quote on :)

You might not get a confirmed reg until the day of delivery - I didn't, had to call the Insurance company from the SC before I could drive away!

There’s no real benefit to having a VIN, all it really tells you is that there is a car of your specification on the vessel in transit to us. There is always still the potential of damage in transit, logistical delays of being at the front of a transporter and the first car to com off so they swap VIN’s round etc.

But having a VIN gives a degree of comfort that all being well you are getting a car thats current on a vessel. It’s better than the discussions a few weeks ago of if Performance models were even arriving this quarter which was swiftly followed by the potential of them coming from Fremont.

All we really know for sure is Chinese built M3P are on their way here on Hyperion Ray

🤣 This VIN conversation is making me anxious
I've still heard nothing (text or email), nothing showing on my account - I've just resigned myself to waiting, its their Quarter to do the numbers - I'm not chasing, either get me a car OR I'll sit here and SULK like a child! 🙃
I honestly wouldn't worry about it haha, I think it's just us being massively impatient and wanting some proof they're actually on the boat 😂 There's enough people now that surely the rug can't be pulled at the last minute haha.

And past history of many other vehicles being reallocated in transit, certainly in the early days. Made worse by people looking in the source code for their VIN so getting an early peek.

And an example of VIN change this Qtr

Nothing here but broken promises and shattered dreams.
Let’s face it the text that really counts is the one which tells you where and when your car is to be delivered. Im not going to lie, when you get a Vin you know there is a car on that ship with that number that’s going to belong to you. Just wish Tesla would cut the bull and be honest with people ref communication. On the bright side only another 5-6 weeks to go !!!

Those that are in limbo between ordering and getting any communication after registration detail /form filling.... but still waiting for comms on vin
When did you order? And whats your estimated delivery showing as.
Ordered 5th May
Delivery expected May
Not a peep since
😬

Those that are in limbo between ordering and getting any communication after registration detail /form filling.... but still waiting for comms on vin
When did you order? And whats your estimated delivery showing as.
Ordered 5th May
Delivery expected May
Not a peep since
😬
Welcome to the waiting room where the term wait has never had so much relevance.

You are likely to be quite lucky, all of this quarters M3P’s and in fact the first of this year are on Hyperion Ray en route from China, due into Uk between 8th and 12th June for distribution in the fortnight after that.

there are people in here with orders as far back as October last year that don’t have VINs yet, generally the cars are allocated on a first come first serve basis but it does seem if you have a friendly at Tesla they can bypass that system a little bit.

All being well you will be matched to a car that’s on the boat and you will get a car next month, if they don’t have remaining stock of your spec then unfortunately it would now be September delivery on a 71 plate as there are no more boats this quarter.

Status
Not open for further replies.