Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Model S/X LHD Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m not sure Tesla stuffing the buttons on a moving object is going to help with roundabouts at all. They’ve clearly designed this for the US where it will be less hassle.
This "designed for the US" is beginning to get old. Roundabouts may be less common but the equivalent (traffic circles they call them) do exist and are becoming increasingly more common in the USA. Ferrari has had indicator buttons on the steering wheel for quite some time now, so it is not a completely novel idea.

Do I like the concept -- NO. And I think my better half would absolutely hate it. But it is not something that is US-centric and I think you will find the same objections whether a US driver or a European one.

This "designed for the US" is beginning to get old. Roundabouts may be less common but the equivalent (traffic circles they call them) do exist and are becoming increasingly more common in the USA. Ferrari has had indicator buttons on the steering wheel for quite some time now, so it is not a completely novel idea.

Do I like the concept -- NO. And I think my better half would absolutely hate it. But it is not something that is US-centric and I think you will find the same objections whether a US driver or a European one.
Why is it getting old? They have far less of them and also their roads do not tend to be nearly as sharp on bends or turns often so they just won't have the wheel / yoke turned as far. Add in that they now get FSD Beta so for people with access to that the car will be handling it more.

Not saying there aren't American's that don't like it, there are but it is less of an issue in the US than here. That's my opinion and I'm going to stick to it.

Why is it getting old? They have far less of them and also their roads do not tend to be nearly as sharp on bends or turns often so they just won't have the wheel / yoke turned as far. Add in that they now get FSD Beta so for people with access to that the car will be handling it more.

Not saying there aren't American's that don't like it, there are but it is less of an issue in the US than here. That's my opinion and I'm going to stick to it.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I spend a lot of time in the USA and it is a large place (obviously). They have every type of weather imaginable and roads of every type and state of repair/disrepair. Just saying that a car designed for use throughout the USA doesn't mean it will be unsuitable elsewhere, which seems a common theme in this forum. But we can agree to disagree.

Reactions: Js1977 and Adopado
Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I spend a lot of time in the USA and it is a large place (obviously). They have every type of weather imaginable and roads of every type and state of repair/disrepair. Just saying that a car designed for use throughout the USA doesn't mean it will be unsuitable elsewhere, which seems a common theme in this forum. But we can agree to disagree.
Understand that. It's not a great idea regardless of the location to be honest. I just feel in the little country routes I often go down it'll be an utter pain to try to hit when I cannot keep my hands on the wheel in the same place like you might on a track because I'd not make the turn. So then you are feeding a wheel through your hands and are going to easily lose track of where the turn buttons are by that point.

I'd like to see them come up with a solution to keep the rear camera clear and front if they do put one in the bumper at some point on HW4. Had cars with washer jets for these for a long time and you can really miss it when they aren't there. This is probably less of an issue in California but some parts of the world it's really needed.

Isn’t Musks whole idea that we set the sat nav to say where we’re going and all the indicating and directions will be done for us, not just the steering? You’d not need to touch the buttons yourself, in the same way we no longer generally touch headlights (full beam issues aside), the car knows what to do and does it.

It would be quite a step change (for me at least) to use Nav on every trip, I rarely use it on any trip to a place I’ve been before if it’s less than 50 miles, and that’s probably 95% of my journeys. Self driving will force that, the car can’t drive you anywhere unless you tell it where you want to go, but that’s a different topic.

I rarely use it on any trip to a place I’ve been before if it’s less than 50 miles, and that’s probably 95% of my journeys

I use Satnav if I'm nipping to the shops (although in fairness I use Waze rather than car). I've got stuck on that country road for half an hour for an accident on more than one occasion and either assumed "It will clear soon" and sat there, or been unable to turn around and bail out. I'm happy to click-a-button on SatNav and then if it says "Go this weird route" drill down to see where the red ink is on my normal route

I’m tempted to switch to the 21” Arachnids and go for the carbon ceramic brake kit if I’m given the option to change my spec closer to delivery.

I’ll only do so if it doesn’t impact the original base price for the car (pre-£10k increase), though worst case I’ll order after they deliver the car.

I also want to swap to a normal wheel and I hope they offer that to everyone with no penalty (those who locked in the lower base price).

Interesting. You'd think Tesla might tell lease companies ahead of time. Also doesn't seem like they have excess demand to meet in LHD markets to hold this up.

Wondering if I should put in a preorder. I'd been waiting to see what the cost will be but I guess it's fully refundable. One more name down showing demand.

Was holding out as to be honest I wanted to try a Model S and X to see which I’d like the most. However want to help drum up demand so I’ve put in a Model S Plaid Ultra Red reservation. Only £100 but want them to do RHD so not really helping if I don’t help show some my demand also.

The working assumption for some time has been that if they arrive, it will be about 9 months behind Europe based on previous models. Given Europe had a few at the end of Dec, we'd get them at the end of August. So they may know something, or they're just working on the same logic but almitately guessing.

Reactions: Sean.
Tesla don’t even tell their own employees what will happen the next day. What makes you think they’re going to forewarn lease companies months in advance. It’s not Ford or Toyota.
Yeah understood but also they could be missing out on more pre-orders without allowing people to order on company salary sacrifice schemes, etc. Their approach was fine when demand hugely outpaced supply but now they are going to have to change their approach a bit. Maybe even start with some marketing.

Yeah understood but also they could be missing out on more pre-orders without allowing people to order on company salary sacrifice schemes, etc. Their approach was fine when demand hugely outpaced supply but now they are going to have to change their approach a bit. Maybe even start with some marketing.

Tesla it appears have started marketing the Plaid.

At the recent Plaid track day event they invited some YouTubers and conventional motoring journos. For example, Top Gear were invited and they posted the video below. I was keen to see a UK motoring press review as I’m tired of the drag strip videos that tell you little about how the car handles.

Tesla rarely do such events and they are good to see.