Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Model S/X LHD Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ultimately it depends how often you're going to a drive-thru or barrier-controlled car park by yourself.

If not very often, LHD is manageable. The fact that it's one also opens the full European market for resale, so that might be better for retaining value as you are not constrained by selling it only in the UK...
There's even a nice pricing arbitrage if you're looking at new S/X models on Tesla regional websites, for instance Eastern European countries...

Ultimately it depends how often you're going to a drive-thru or barrier-controlled car park by yourself

That happens rarely for me, these days, and is exactly the same nuisance as a visitor to UK from continent - and when I go there. So I'd be happy to get out and walk round on those occasions.

The fact that it's one also opens the full European market for resale, so that might be better for retaining value as you are not constrained by selling it only in the UK

That has crossed my mind. However, would a Continental buy a car from a Brit? I've no idea what extra red-tape might be invovled there.

But if Tesla bought out RHD they would be in a position to take LHD in part-ex and they, themselves, ship them to continent. No guarantee that the trade-in price wouldn't be:

throw the LHD owners under the bus

That happens rarely for me, these days, and is exactly the same nuisance as a visitor to UK from continent - and when I go there. So I'd be happy to get out and walk round on those occasions.

That has crossed my mind. However, would a Continental buy a car from a Brit? I've no idea what extra red-tape might be invovled there.

But if Tesla bought out RHD they would be in a position to take LHD in part-ex and they, themselves, ship them to continent. No guarantee that the trade-in price wouldn't be:
remember, to buy in the continent from you means buyer will have to pay any import/tax duties, same as importing from any 3rd country, let's say UK.

guys, I still cannot believe people are seriously contemplating LHD car for like 120k :D

remember, to buy in the continent from you means buyer will have to pay any import/tax duties, same as importing from any 3rd country, let's say UK.

guys, I still cannot believe people are seriously contemplating LHD car for like 120k :D
I haven’t done it since Brexit. I wonder how much has changed. Have they reinstated an import duty tariff for used cars also?
(I believe the used/new threshold used to be >6 months since 1st reg and >3k miles on the odo)

Point is European new MS can be found at under 100k £-equivalent

This is a pity as I was hoping to change my 2017 MS for the new model at some point. I remember the G60 Corrados - only available in LHD and then VW changed their minds and offered in RHD throwing the LHD owners under the bus.

I can't really see Tesla effectively withdrawing their "halo" cars from the UK permanently ?
No guarantees of course, but my understanding after speaking 'off the record' to a couple of Tesla people, is that RHDs may be available again in the future, but perhaps only after a new as-yet-unannounced factory has been built.
So I'm guessing 3 years+ ?...

I still cannot believe people are seriously contemplating LHD car for like 120k

But with respect that's you :)

I (for example) have an MY for local trips, and an MS which gets used for longer journeys only. So 95+% motorway mileage. I'm not sure driving LHD on motorway is going to make a lot of difference to me - I drive long distance on French motorways in RHD without any bother; And I would like a Plaid (for a variety of reasons)

The thing stopping my doing JFDI is whether Tesla will come out with RHD in a few months time ...

But with respect that's you :)

I (for example) have an MY for local trips, and an MS which gets used for longer journeys only. So 95+% motorway mileage. I'm not sure driving LHD on motorway is going to make a lot of difference to me - I drive long distance on French motorways in RHD without any bother; And I would like a Plaid (for a variety of reasons)

The thing stopping my doing JFDI is whether Tesla will come out with RHD in a few months time ...
I have owned various classics over the years that were LHD and I always thought, no big deal, it's the car I'm enjoying, not where I'm sat in the car. But I always ended up hating them for all the obvious reasons.

Are you left or right handed? There is some compelling evidence not just about left-side traffic (i.e. whether it makes more sense from a safety pov) but also in terms of primary and secondary controls. Primary control is the steering, which in a LHD car you relinquish control of to your non-dominant hand when operating secondary controls such as the touch screen, squeezing your passenger's thigh, and so on.

You can absolutely get used to such environments. For me one of the main annoyances was having to switch back and forth.

Which is it: It was always there OR it has arisen since Brexit?
Not sure if you pretend or .

EU Always had import duties and VAT payable by importer if you were importing used car from non-EU county.

Before Brexit if you tried to import car from any third country (read: US, Japan, Mozambique or any other place what is outside EU customs union), it was the following:

- UK (or any EU) customs clearance agent fees.
- Import duty, charged at 5-10 % of FOB price + shipping. (% may vary depending...)
- VAT

Now UK became that third country (in force since 2021) and anyone importing from UK into EU will have to pay the same above tax.

There are some exemptions (if you import as parts maybe or something like that), but still you have to pay import duties in EU.

Welcome to "we hold all the cards (we play UNO) post brexit UK".

Maybe you guys dodged a bullet...

"As expected, the comments of TRACK PACK are coming in. Yes, the Track Pack is (hopefully) solving the issue of LETHAL stock brakes (which were changed on this car). HOWEVER, the disasterous suspension remains unchanged with the track pack. The car loses every balance if it's not traveling straight under acceleration. It makes unpredictable movements. Great for the straights, but no way the Nürburgring Lap Time was set with a stock car. To all the Plaid owners: enjoy the car on the straight roads and some tracks with run off. Bumpy surfaces like the Nordschleife will send you in the wall unexpectedly"

Not sure if you pretend or .

EU Always had import duties and VAT payable by importer if you were importing used car from non-EU county.

Before Brexit if you tried to import car from any third country (read: US, Japan, Mozambique or any other place what is outside EU customs union), it was the following:

- UK (or any EU) customs clearance agent fees.
- Import duty, charged at 5-10 % of FOB price + shipping. (% may vary depending...)
- VAT

Now UK became that third country (in force since 2021) and anyone importing from UK into EU will have to pay the same above tax.

There are some exemptions (if you import as parts maybe or something like that), but still you have to pay import duties in EU.

Welcome to "we hold all the cards (we play UNO) post brexit UK".
Well then you completely disregarded my initial message where I specifically said
I haven’t done it since Brexit. I wonder how much has changed.
To which you replied by a condescending
It was always there for used cars

So yes, it was reinstated for vehicles imported from the UK since Brexit. You implied it was there before… nevermind…

Reactions: Js1977 and KennethS
Well then you completely disregarded my initial message where I specifically said

So yes, it was reinstated for vehicles imported from the UK since Brexit. You implied it was there before… nevermind…
You looks like missed my message.

What I said

If you would follow couple messages above the post you quote, specifically #443, you will notice that I was talking about importing cars to EU from 3rd country. Which i stand correct because it was always the case

US inventories look very high, especially for the X and surprisingly the 3. Although relative inventory numbers compared to production numbers are the truer story.

Starting to be more clear now why the RHD versions were untenable (in the current climate). I wouldn’t be surprised if they killed off the X now altogether.

IMG_0550.jpeg

I think a lot of this is down to the economic situation at the moment. I still think at the right price they are very good EV's.

If you look in the US some of the best paid people are developers working for Big Tech, they make massive salaries there however recently 160k of them have been laid off. They are the kind of workers that normally could drop $100k+ on a car without blinking. They won't be doing it while they fear for their jobs.

I'm sure other sectors could have similar issues, maybe not as dramatic but more people will just be in a holding pattern at the moment.

Reactions: randompixel
Maybe you guys dodged a bullet...

"As expected, the comments of TRACK PACK are coming in. Yes, the Track Pack is (hopefully) solving the issue of LETHAL stock brakes (which were changed on this car). HOWEVER, the disasterous suspension remains unchanged with the track pack. The car loses every balance if it's not traveling straight under acceleration. It makes unpredictable movements. Great for the straights, but no way the Nürburgring Lap Time was set with a stock car. To all the Plaid owners: enjoy the car on the straight roads and some tracks with run off. Bumpy surfaces like the Nordschleife will send you in the wall unexpectedly"
I have track cars - the MS, Plaid or not, is not a track car. Despite their acceleration, no EV is, with the possible exception of the Nevera. Doesn’t mean you can’t couldn’t have enjoyed the Plaid - or any EV - within its limits.

Last edited:
Reactions: Js1977