Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Model S/X LHD Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it is interesting that Tesla would rather cut prices in the US than produce RHD cars to take up the slack in demand, although that would only provide temporary respite and a price cut for the S and X was expected.

Surprisingly the German/French price for a LR X or S is actually still less than the US price once you add VAT and import duty. Considering the US has now had two price cuts, it shows how good a deal the EU price started off as. The Plaid, however, is more expensive in Europe now.

I would expect probably a 10k cut in Europe, maybe less on the LRs (if I was just basing it off this, see below).

Current US pricing would suggest around 100k for a S LR and 120k for the Plaid in the UK. X prices would be 110k and 120k. These are still a little higher than pricing was in summer 21 when I ordered my X.

These prices still feel high to me, especially for the S. I present some other cars for comparison, I know you can argue whether or not different cars are truly comparable and other people may prefer different comps, it is just a framework to think about it.

I was trying to think what would seem like reasonable pricing versus the overall car market. A lot of cars have seen big price increases in the last couple of years. If you use a BMW 545xe PHEV as a comparable car to a Model S LR (I have not thought extensively about this) then you are looking at around 70-75k list (M Sport) and 65-70k after discount. The S still looks pretty expensive compared to this. For comparison a Model 3 LR is give or take around the same price as a BMW 330xe PHEV, a Y is cheaper than a X3 PHEV. This suggests that the Model S LR should be around 80k which is a lot closer to where it was before Tesla ramped up prices. The Plaid should maybe be around 100k.

Model X LR is harder to find an obvious comp for. The new Volvo EX90 at 96-100K seems similar. The X5 is a little smaller and not available with 7 seats as a PHEV. It would come in at around 85k. I would set the X at 90 and 110k considering this, 10k more than the S seems reasonable. It was only 5k at one point.

The car that is going to make a big difference to X pricing is the Kia EV9. I would guess that the top of the line model will come in at around £75-80k. The EX90 price was set based on the Model X price at the time and I think it is probably overpriced. The car that is outrageously priced in the UK is the EQS SUV. In most of the world the base EQS SUV is priced at around 2k more than the EQS saloon. In the UK the base EQS SUV is £24k more than the saloon. Now this is because they have made an expensive option pack compulsory in the UK, but it looks way out of line with every other market. I would have seriously considered one at the USA/EU price. Anecdotally the EQS saloon is not selling in the USA and available with discounts, having started off being sold at a big premium.

Considering all of this I have my Model X order. I am getting worried that they just don't see RHD as worthwhile, but surely we still get the new models. I am hopeful that there is another price cut before they come to the UK if they do come and we see a price at around 90k on an LR. I currently have a Plaid on order as the premium vs the LR is very small.

I have caved and placed an order for an EX90. The £500 is refundable so nothing to lose. I think it is also a bit overpriced.

I will likely also order an EV9 when it comes out and I would not pay £25k more for an X than the EV9, so it might be my next car unless Tesla cuts prices. What this backs up is the point people often make that the S and X are currently too expensive versus the 3 and Y. A 5 series does not cost twice what a 3 series costs or an X5 twice as much as an X3.

For the EV market in general, the number of people making or planning to make £100k saloons is crazy. Historically this market was very small. There is not big demand for large expensive less practical cars. Other than for limos, most people want a big SUV at this price point (look how Model 3 sales have fallen with availability of the Y). Historically this market was the 7 Series, S-Class, A8 and Panamera, then the S came along (Similar price different concept). We still have all these cars plus the Taycan, e-tron GT, i7, EQS, Lucid Air, Lotus 133, Polestar 5. The top end of the market will be enormously oversupplied. No wonder Lucid are struggling with demand.

I actually think as supply of cars eases up some of the prices that have been set recently will look way out of line. Mercedes seem particularly guilty with the EQE and pricing on their AMGs. You also have the BMW XM at 150k. Some of these cars will see crippling depreciation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Simonsquiff
Interesting analysis, I'm not so sure at newer pricing they are all that bad compared to where they were sat. If you look into the ICE world, the cost of a model with different engines is often down to the hp of that model. Yes they add additional upgrades a lot of the time as you move up the engine sizes as well but that's generally the structure they've followed.

As an example you compare the S to the BMW 545e maybe because you want to look at cars with some form of battery but a model S LR can compete with a BMW M5 which is the top 5 series model. A Plaid would obviously leave it standing. When you do that comparision the Model S isn't badly priced as I think they are around £110k these days. Also crazy as I brought one new in the last gen with quite a lot of options for around £78k.

I also remember looking at the Model S P100D back when they were selling that for close to £140k, I picked a BMW M760Li instead for £145k (Had some options) as it was a vastly superior package overall. I'll have to see the new Model S / X but I feel they've moved the needle upwards in terms of what you are getting while also reducing or controlling pricing while many other cars have inflated a lot.

I think demand in general is just the economic outlook at the moment. Lots in tech jobs that might have snapped these up have redudancy risks over their heads due to stock market drops at the big players. Sure plenty of other sectors might have similar worries so splashing out on an expensive car isn't top of mind for a lot of people at the moment.

I do agree it's sad that they don't seem to be too interested in helping to solve their supply issue by making some RHD models also. I almost feel like RHD is not a done deal and if they don't feel there's enough demand we actually won't get the S and X again.

As you say price and HP/performance are usually well linked.

I was surprised to see that spec 0-62 on the 545 is 4.7s and I saw a road test that got an actual time of 4.4. Slower than a Model S LR, but still a very fast car. BMW I have noticed have massively improved 0-60 times in the last few years and I do wonder if this is partly to compete with EVs. Again Mercedes on the other hand is particularly guilty of charging a massive premium for extra power.

I felt this was fast enough to be comparable to the LR. My personal feeling is that once you get under 5s to 60 further performance is almost unusable most of the time. My X 75D is around 5 to 60 and I think it borders on too fast for the weight and size of the car. I suspect that the 5-6s range is the sweet spot for this kind of car. I can hardly ever actually put my foot to the floor due to traffic and safety concerns. This makes my Plaid order look stupid, but my feeling is that the Plaid might depreciate less due to the very small price difference to the LR on the Model X. I do constantly think about it though as I am worried that the amount of power is not really safe relative to the handling and stopping ability of the car and my driving ability.

It is quite difficult to put a value on the extra power of a Plaid versus an LR. Really the top most powerful model of most car lines is about bragging rights as much as anything else. The power will hardly ever be used on the road. I don't really think you can directly compare a Plaid with a M5 or E63 as they don't just have more power, they have upgraded brakes and suspension as well as more interesting interiors and exteriors. People also love the engine noise for the moment! A Plaid is something akin to putting a 5l V8 in a BMW 530i making it a somewhat odd beast, hence hard to place a value on one. I think the lessening gap between Plaid and LR shows Tesla is struggling to get people to pay up for the Plaids. The LRs already have as much power as almost anyone could use and indeed are pretty much as fast as the old P100Ds.

Having driven the Taycan, EQS, iX, X7 and new Range Rover as well as a Model Y recently as I consider my options the thing that struck me was that the biggest advantage Tesla has is actually on their user interface which is considerably better than these other cars. On the other hand the ride is considerably worse. I would consider a 7 seat PHEV but none of the 7 seaters come as a PHEV except the Volvo XC90 that I am not a fan. I was particularly disappointed in the handling on the Range Rover when I drove it, hoped it would be better than the old model. The EQS was nice and I would probably get the EQS SUV if it was not for the price. The iX was a very nice drive, just lacking in space/7 seats.

Last edited:
Interesting analysis, I'm not so sure at newer pricing they are all that bad compared to where they were sat. If you look into the ICE world, the cost of a model with different engines is often down to the hp of that model. Yes they add additional upgrades a lot of the time as you move up the engine sizes as well but that's generally the structure they've followed.

As an example you compare the S to the BMW 545e maybe because you want to look at cars with some form of battery but a model S LR can compete with a BMW M5 which is the top 5 series model. A Plaid would obviously leave it standing. When you do that comparison the Model S isn't badly priced as I think they are around £110k these days. Also crazy as I brought one new in the last gen with quite a lot of options for around £78k.
I agree that the MS Palladiums fall into the top of the luxury saloon heap - with more emphasis on tech, efficiency and acceleration than on the luxury side. Throw in their EV-ness and there is no actual competitor from my perspective at least at the moment.

Like other automakers - Tesla is pricing these where they can for max total margin in their respective markets rather than sales volume. I expect they make considerably more margin for Tesla than the high-end German saloons make, given the extent of components they share with the 3/Y.

Like other automakers - Tesla is pricing these where they can for max total margin in their respective markets rather than sales volume. I expect they make considerably more margin for Tesla than the high-end German saloons make, given the extent of components they share with the 3/Y.
Pre the Palladium models, Tesla had been reducing the price of the S and X as they were struggling to keep volumes up. See chart below of S pricing. I think again this is due to the limited market size at 100k+.

tesla-model-s-base-price-history-3-png.914385

When they introduced the Palladium model, not only was there a general shortage of cars, but they were struggling to make similar volumes to previous production levels. This created a shortage as people with 3-4 year old Model S and Model X were not able to replace their cars. With a one year + waiting list and an exciting new model they took full advantage and jacked prices way up. Arguably to an excessive level, but why not maximise profits while you can.

Today in the US Model S and Model X can be bought from inventory and list March-May for deliveries. There is basically no wait or backlog. This is more similar to the position they were in in 19/20 and prices will adjust accordingly.

I would guess that COGS on an S/X is around 50-60k (really just guesswork based on historic pricing and margins, I didn't spend much time on it), so gross profits have indeed been very large recently. They would still make similar margin % and higher margin dollars to 3/Y at much lower prices.

Tesla's quandary is that they can only sell around 80k S/X a year. At 30k GP per car that is $2.4bn in GP. They can make around 10-15k GP on a 3/Y. If they can sell 2m a year that is $24bn in GP. With fast growth in 3 and Y volumes, they don't care as much as a legacy automaker about the incremental profits from a small number of X and S. Of course $2.4bn is still a lot of money and they will care in the long run. At the moment the Cybertruck could probably generate more GP as could a new Model 2 selling say 2m cars at 5k GP per car.

Pricing a product to maximise profits is very difficult and only really the manufacturer has enough information to estimate the correct level. Every change in price up or down is pure profit. If you cut the price of the S and X by 10k you might be reducing GP from 40k to 30k per car. So to make the same amount of money you would need to sell one third more cars. I could sit here and say they cannot sell one third more cars so don't cut the price. But what I don't know is will sales start to fall if they don't cut prices. Then COGS per car could rise due to lower volumes and your installed base falls which could hurt future sales. It is a very difficult balance, especially in a competitive market.

• Informative
Reactions: Sean. and CWT3LR
While I understand the comparison with say a M5 seems more appropriate than a 545e, or even a 550, there are a number of features on the BMWs that you don't get on a Tesla such as uprated suspension, figure hugging seats etc,. I had a MS P90DL in the past and while it was blisteringly quick in a straight line, it had the driving charisma of a... well.. something without muich driving charisma., I believe they're better now but I've not seen anyone rave about them down a country lane (even a M3P is likely to be more fun) The other thing I'd say is the P90DL with a <3s to 60 time was uncomfortable and not pleasant, and anything below 4 seconds to 60 is getting on that way, so to me 0-60 below say 3.5 seconds is the equivalent of the argument that says a car pulls harder above 80mph.. in the real world you'll not really use either.

I recon the MSX will go away, and the roadster witht hem which I suspect was just a MS Plaid+ in a differnet body, and the Plaid+ was killed off. I kind of feel they're a bit like Ford and GM/Vauxhaul. they used to have the Senator and the Granada etc, but now even Mondeo sized cars are a hard sell for them, smaller cheaper and more cheerful but at volume are where they'll end up. Its hard for a brand to span many classes and price points, who wants a £100k Tesla when your mate says they have one too only it costs £30 (when the Model 2 or whatever comes out). Spendinmg big bucks you want a luxury and refinement that no American manufacturer has been able to deliver that I can remember, If you look at the traditional car makes they take a platform and spin it into several body shapes and configs, Take the M3Y underpinnings, put a lsightly more rugged skin on it compared to the MY and you've got a mild offroader, put a coupe body on it and you've a coupe, put tailgate on the M3 and you have a hot hatch - there will be 5 models (inc M3 and MY) off essentially the exact same platform. Make a convertible and you've another winner.

Reactions: Sean. and CWT3LR
While I understand the comparison with say a M5 seems more appropriate than a 545e, or even a 550, there are a number of features on the BMWs that you don't get on a Tesla such as uprated suspension, figure hugging seats etc,. I had a MS P90DL in the past and while it was blisteringly quick in a straight line, it had the driving charisma of a... well.. something without muich driving charisma., I believe they're better now but I've not seen anyone rave about them down a country lane (even a M3P is likely to be more fun) The other thing I'd say is the P90DL with a <3s to 60 time was uncomfortable and not pleasant, and anything below 4 seconds to 60 is getting on that way, so to me 0-60 below say 3.5 seconds is the equivalent of the argument that says a car pulls harder above 80mph.. in the real world you'll not really use either.

I recon the MSX will go away, and the roadster witht hem which I suspect was just a MS Plaid+ in a differnet body, and the Plaid+ was killed off. I kind of feel they're a bit like Ford and GM/Vauxhaul. they used to have the Senator and the Granada etc, but now even Mondeo sized cars are a hard sell for them, smaller cheaper and more cheerful but at volume are where they'll end up. Its hard for a brand to span many classes and price points, who wants a £100k Tesla when your mate says they have one too only it costs £30 (when the Model 2 or whatever comes out). Spendinmg big bucks you want a luxury and refinement that no American manufacturer has been able to deliver that I can remember, If you look at the traditional car makes they take a platform and spin it into several body shapes and configs, Take the M3Y underpinnings, put a lsightly more rugged skin on it compared to the MY and you've got a mild offroader, put a coupe body on it and you've a coupe, put tailgate on the M3 and you have a hot hatch - there will be 5 models (inc M3 and MY) off essentially the exact same platform. Make a convertible and you've another winner.
I went to Disneyworld about 20 years ago. The Epcot "Road Test" pavilion was at the time sponsored by GM, who had an electric vehicle on display. The classic skateboard design - battery pack chassis, with 4 wheels and steering. The display had a number of mocked up body styles exactly as you describe George - convertible, saloon, estate, pick-up. The concept was that you could take the car to the dealer on a Friday afternoon and swap the comfortable family car for the pick-up to take your surfboards out n the weekend, or a sportscar to take to the strip - you get the idea.

It is not a stretch to say that Tesla could have a luxury division that produces upmarket and comfortable interiors, a sports division with better suspended / stiffer cars, a family division to produce crossoverSUVthingies etc. And a small / medium / large platform - with different battery configs depending on desired range and performance. Admittedly a move away from their desire to have a standardised approach to everything - but the car market seems to desire individuality and lots of options, rather than homogenisation.

I too am not convinced that people will pay >£100k for a car that might be essentially the same as a £25k city runabout, with the same software, controls, tech etc. That's why Acura / Infiniti / Lexus and the like exist, even though we know they are from the same group as the the car your granny might drive.

Well, that's same argument of why people prefer a BMW M3 over an M5. But also vice versa. For me the M3/Y have too unrefined a ride and are too small for what is essentially a family car. The MS/X do include features not available on the 3/Y like a better quality interior, adaptive suspension, a more comfortable cruise, more interior room, less interior road noise,2 screens etc. besides the extra power. The issue with them is the demographic that prefers the M5 over the M3 also like more buttons and more plush leather - as well as a European marque.

Well, that's same argument as why people prefer a BMW M3 over an M5. But also vice versa. For me the M3/Y have too unrefined a ride and are too small for what is essentially a family car. The MS/X do include features not available on the 3/Y like a better quality and quieter interior, adaptive suspension for a more comfortable but well-controlled ride, more interior room, less interior road noise, dedicated gauge screen, etc. besides the extra power. And now HW4.

The issue for the MS/X is that the demographic that prefers the BMW M5 over the M3 also like more buttons and more plush leather - as well as a European marque.

And what’s this about 60 in less than 3 being uncomfortable? Don’t actually drive a car that that doesn’t do that. :)

Last edited:
I too am not convinced that people will pay >£100k for a car that might be essentially the same as a £25k city runabout, with the same software, controls, tech etc. That's why Acura / Infiniti / Lexus and the like exist, even though we know they are from the same group as the the car your granny might drive.
Audi, BMW and Mercedes seemingly don't have trouble selling £100K plus cars and selling their shopping trolleys under the same roof... 😂

• Funny
Reactions: CWT3LR
I think though if you look at a BMW M5 vs 550 for instance the price jump is massive. It's the same engine, just a different state of tune. Yes they do some other things to the car but no doubt a lot of that price increase is margin. Tesla on the other hand I feel isn't going over the top on their pricing for extra performance. Plaid has an extra motor, they carbon wrap all three, thing brakes are different and want roughly £8k extra to get you to a 1,000+hp car.

My view of luxury has changed somewhat and I wonder if the market is going that way also. Previously it was about the quality of the materials for instance and ambiance of the cabin. How finely stitched the leather was, etc.

To me at least I put ride comfort pretty much top of my list, doesn't mean it has to be a boat either. Expensive cars can give comfort and a sensible level of body control. I also value cabin silence having had good experiences with this, there's something supremely nice about not hearing the outside world that much. Then it's kind of the tech of the car. They are becoming far more software driven and Tesla is leading here. That's a big plus also.

Honestly competition is good and choice. Tesla has I think when they had demand been guilty of inflating their prices but I do feel more than other makes they are still trying to lower costs in the long run or providing more for the same price. As an example air suspension used to be an optional extra but then it become standard.

Back to driving dynamics but I'd be keen to try a new Model S Plaid. I do remember my test drive in the P100D around Milton Keynes and it handled quite well because of all the weight low down. Not saying it was M5 as I also had one of those but not a million miles off for public road driving. My big let down on it back then was the air suspension they used at the time was pretty awful in my opinion for comfort. Ive not been in a Raven model to see how much they've improved it but the reviews suggest it was a nice jump forwards.

Reactions: 12Pack
Well, I went ahead and added a MS Plaid order for the new ”Ultra-Red” colour in addition to my existing early MS Plaid order.

In case you haven’t heard, the latest updates in addition to the HW4 are better brake pads and a lighter, higher visibility roof.
Nice choice, the Ultra Red looks nice in the pics and a suspect it'll look very nice in person also. The improved brakes are also most welcome as that seemed to be one of the Plaids biggest downsides was the brakes weren't quite up to scratch for the performance it offers.